10 Years(nf)

BITEME

Well it has been 20 plus years since I got out of the forces and pursued the trade life as a rule of thumb i only stayed at places for about 5 years and sucked everything my brian could handle and the game plan was to pursue differnt industries ive done

environmental, automotive/chemical, and aerospace/transportation the reason im telling you this "who knows" bored maybe but i just had a 10 year anniversary with the company im with now must be getting old and settling any way its been an interesting ride still lots more to learn and hopefully be able to pass some on to some new up and commers because it would appear we are a dying breed.

Later

Peter

Yeah I remember the place as a shell, took allot of wrenching to get it going and keep it running, good on ya buddy. Nothing wrong with a steady gig to help pay the bills and few toys along the way...

Edited by b2kptbo

Coingrats Peter,

After 9.5 years at my last job I just "rolled the dice" with a new private venture in hopes of making better money. Let me tell you I layed awake until 3 am (lew o'clock) wondering what the heck I did and how the heck am I gonna make this work? Gone is the pension contributions, benefits, union, and expences (like milage). All to be my own boss.

Sometimes you just get comfortable. I never thought I'd spend 18 years with my last employer. I'm now 6 months with a new employer and looking for another change. No regrets tho because it's been a good learning experience for my next move... in a couple weeks if all goes as planned.

The 18 year stint provided stability and predictability. It enabled us to bring up a young family, pay for our first house and get us in to our dream home. At this point we can afford to take a few risks in hopes of bigger rewards.

I always considered myself one of the lucky ones cause even as a young boy I knew I only wanted 2 jobs. One was a sailor & the other was a fireman and I was fortunate to spend my life doing both.

I signed up for the Navy the same day JFK was murdered and enjoyed it as much as I knew I would. I spent the next few years cruising the ocean between Trinidad & Norway and everywhere in between.

When I completed my Navy hitch I returned home to Toronto and put my name in for the Fire Dept. Took nearly a year to get on but once I started it was the job of a lifetime and I spent more than 32 years there.

It was a wonderful, rewarding life and I retired at 53 years old satisfied that I'd done exactly what I wanted to do and no man can ask for more than that.

Well, other than a couple months of being a junior ranger with the MNR when I was in high school, and also operating a side business part time for 10 yrs., I have been employed at Lakehead University for 34 yrs. and haven't even thought of retirement yet. I am having way too much fun at work. It changes every day, never a dull moment. The guy I work with now, he and I have the same attitude. Keep Calm and Carry On!