Need some advice

Big Cliff

We have several OFC Community members who have been dealt a really bad hand, but they are handling it like champions. They are my heroes. One of them is lit up right now on this thread. He and his entire family are in my life every day.

Why spend time on such a minor issue that should have been prevented by the person watching where he was walking?

I agree with this, but I would want to do my diligence to ensure it did not happen again. Maybe not sue or what have you but would make sure the point has been proven.

If I sued every time I needed stitches at a NASCAR race, I'd be in court all the time. Seriously though, I am good friends with some of the KC rescue/firefighter guys at Kansas Speedway and I hear things from them that happen at the track that would blow you away. I'm sure that NASCAR/Talladega covers themselves legally over such things just on the fine print on the ticket alone.

By the way, when you have a Kansas Speedway fire and rescue credential hanging around your neck, you can go anywhere you want to in the entire complex. Places where Dale Jr. can't even go. Like up on top of the grandstand to hang out with the spotters for example. This I know for a fact.

KC10.jpg

Nice view from up there too!!

KC11.jpg

Well this is why I don't bother responding most of the time.

I seriously don't see how members being dealt a bad hand has anything to do with Cliff's questions and concerns. I have many friends and family dealing with bad hands right now aswell, but that has nothing to do with an injury incurred while at a public venue in which the injuried party only wants guidance and what is fair under the circumstances.

I'm done, I'll keep my opinions to myself from now on.

Good luck to your friend Cliff,

Joey

Brian I'm surprised you would say that it seems the norm in the states.I dont personally know a single who has sued anybody for something like this.You may be watching too much daytime TV my friend.The rest of your comment is very reasonable and I would agree with your advice.See what they offer and document what his losses were.Be reasonable becuase if you go to a jury trial and the jury thinks you are being greedy you may get nothing.There is accountability down here.

Joe

"Seems to be the norm" is probably a poor choice of words. I think it would be fair to say its far less common in Canada than the United States mostly due to historicaly lower rewards leading to far fewer contigency based actions.

Unless he didn't have health care insurance for his trip, which is not smart at all, he could have got stitched up in Alabama. He might have missed the race but he would have avoided the agony on the trip home as well as the lost hotel fees etc. I've been stitched up in the US before and it wasn't a big deal. Just saying.

Cliff does your friend not have insurance for "sick and accident" through his employer?...the only one to win anything in a law suit is a lawyer...so if it is truely to prevent a future accident i say go for it...but it going to be tied up in the courts for years and with no long time/permanent disability to your friend ...he has to weigh this issue of importance to him...

In canada a step has to be between 7-8 inches and all consistent with each other

Cheers ...sorry bout the hard knocks your buddy just went through

December 2006 I was in the ER at our local hospital when a visiting Canadian came for treatment after falling on ice and bumping his head. I could hear the conversation from my cubicle.

Nurse: "The xrays don't show any problem, but we're going to order an MRI."

Canadian: "I'm in Cookeville (Tennessee) for only two weeks. I can't wait for an MRI."

Nurse: "You'll get the MRI in 20 minutes."

Canadian: "How will I pay for it?"

Nurse: "The hospital will bill the Canadian government."

Story #2. My brother injured his hand at a fly in lake and hitched a flight to town to see a doctor. Camp cook, who did not know my brother, offered keys to her house so he could spend the night and return on a flight the next morning. Bro saw the doc, got 16 stitches, paid cash for the service, slept on the nice cook's couch, watched TV on their new 32" RCA and went fishing the next morning.

Story #3. Elton Rambin, my Native American friend from Arkansas, was helping load a floatplane on our last day in camp when he cut his hand badly on a sharp edge of the airplane door while helping load gear. He wrapped it tightly with a towel to slow the bleeding, rode the plane to Red Lake, got stitches and antibiotics, paid cash and drove home happily with a moose in the back of his truck. Actually his wife shot the moose. Elton spent most of his time fishing.

Life can be pretty simple. Nobody had thoughts about placing blame on someone else. It's our choice.

I have at least one more story, but it's about me, and I'd be too embarrassed to let everyone know what a dumb thing I did. It would really be a stretch for me to place blame on someone else, unless I made a career of it.