nipissing water levels

curlrap

I think we can stop complaining about low water levels in lake nipissing. The lower Sturgeon river has probably risen two feet in the last few days and with three gates wide open it will continue to rise to above normal levels. I'm guessing it's above normal right now.

We here at Nipissing are above normal for this time of year, which is about a foot higher the last July,Normals for this time of year are about a foot lower then summer levels and my prediction to what is flowing into Nipissing this spring is we may end up with near flood conditions in about a month from now. :Gonefishing:

I drove North Bay to New Liskeard and back today. There is allot of water. Here are a few pics taken from the truck with the cell phone.

A little ice left on Temagami

p_00228.jpg

Tomiko River Rest stop flooded

p_00229.jpg

p_00230.jpg

This is the Chippewa Creek which runs through North Bay. The Conservation Authority issued flood warnings for it today.

p_00231.jpg

I'd rather see a week or two of high water than a summer of low water. I couldn't even get a 16' boat into my dock last year.

Hopefully the flooding doesn't do that much damage, my mom lives right on the beach in NB.

At Lakair our docks are now officially under water.

But regarding the statement above per fish population (high water/low water)... the MNR fall index netting study in late October 2010 showed a very good year class for walleyes. In other words, despite the low water levels.. the walleyes enjoyed a very good spawn in the spring of 2010. Good news for the years ahead.

cheers..

the capt.

At Lakair our docks are now officially under water.

the capt.

Huge difference from last summer Kevin and hopefully the levels stay up....well maybe not quite over your docks :lol:

See you guys in August !!

Very little rain in the forecast for the next two weeks according to the Weather Network.

Should help out the water situation a bit.

I started up my 1986 Jonson 4hp today for my little boats. 2nd pull with last years gas. Was stored in my basement all winter. My big boat will come this week and I'll back it into the lake and fire it up on Thursday.

Edited by Nipfisher