Interesting find today north Oshawa

bigredfisher

Hey I was taking a walk to check some bows out, did find lots but one thing I found was a pod of salmon .... And they weren't bows could see them very clearly . Has anyone ever seen this before??? I couldn't believe what I was seeing but it was salmon for sure

You never know what you may see north of Oshawa.

bunny.jpg

What size were the fish, bigger than average rainbows. I'm not sure what size Atlantics are when they enter the systems to spawn. It is OK, with the heavy rains tonight they should be offshore at Darlington by tomorrow morning.

Back in the late 80's when the MNR raised both Cohos and Chinook, what they did was to grab the Chinook eggs first and the Cohos after. What happened was they unintentionally bred for a later running strain of Cohos, the peak of the run would occur in the Credit in early Dec right up until it iced over. It was not uncommon to see a few around at spring thaw albeit in pretty advanced state. This is really late though even for those late spawners.

Hey I was taking a walk to check some bows out, did find lots but one thing I found was a pod of salmon .... And they weren't bows could see them very clearly . Has anyone ever seen this before??? I couldn't believe what I was seeing but it was salmon for sure

Very cool find. Try to get some pictures. MNR and the local Conservation Authority would likely be interested. Was this Oshawa Creek?

Way back, I used to fish Erindale this time of year and a bit earlier. I seen Cohos still trying to spawn.

In all seriousness,I did see this. It was, to me at the time, crazy. Iced in river with pockets of open water and see these fish there . Man, to have a cam with you at that time. :canadian: