Nipissing ice off

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3077626

Lake Nipissing ice off watch heats up

By Nugget Staff

Posted 7:30pm April 15

The ice covering Lake Nipissing is quickly disappearing following heavy rain at the beginning of the week.

White ice can only be seen near the shore with a thin layer of decaying crystals stretching across most of the lake.

At the beginning of month, there seemed to be a thick cover that would take a month to dissolve and people were predicting the ice would stay into May.

Even the betting pool at Demarco's Confectionary has many squares open early next week.

"That's funny," Denise Ward said Friday when told the ice is nearly gone. "Maybe nobody will win."

As it stands, the closest candidates to winning their pool — if there's no ice early next week — are Gerry Spence and Ricky Cook, who both chose April 21 in two separate pools.

The Nugget has been recording the ice-off dates since 1909. The earliest the ice left was April 3 in 1945 and the latest was May 19, 1926. Last year, the ice was declared gone April 8.

Anybody who flies over Lake Nipissing is asked to take a photo and e-mail it to [email protected] or call 705-472-3200 ext. 360 and leave a description of what they see.

********** NO CAMERA**********

I left the government dock in Sturgeon Falls today and made my way down to the lake ... I managed to get out about 600-800M from the mouth of the river onto the lake(red buoy #2) .. let me tell you that there is still enough ice to support a truck... the "Big Pack" is still about 12" thick ..plenty of "blue" left... I predict that it's gonna take a while this year for Nip to be clear of ice ...first week of May at least...

On the brighter side .. vs last season 3 of 7 dams are open with a lot of water coming through..

Walleye spawn and Silver(White)Bass run should be good this year (fingers crossed).

Randy

:canadian:

I think I may try to cross to the island tomorrow.

A friend almost made it to his place yesterday and mine is closer.

It's supposed to rain and snow tomorrow but I need a boat ride despite the weather.

Despite the sunshine today... I was really under dressed ... fresh air at 30Mph did me good(froze my cheeks..it'll teach me to wear pants next time) ... as will to you Bernie... Y'a really gotta love the first ride of the season... I know I did.

I might go back out Sunday with the boy.

Despite the sunshine today... I was really under dressed ... fresh air at 30Mph did me good(froze my cheeks..it'll teach me to wear pants next time) ... as will to you Bernie... Y'a really gotta love the first ride of the season... I know I did.

I might go back out Sunday with the boy.

Randy, Is the river completly free of ice? Lots of water at the launch?

Randy, Is the river completly free of ice? Lots of water at the launch?

Completely free of ice !! But there are tons of deadheads..2x4's

chunks of docks and too much debris to describe.... Plenty of water at the launch...river is still low by about 3' though.

Randy