CFT Super Series

Ben_Daniels

I am thinkin about fishing in the CFT as an Amature this year either at the thousand islands stop or Lake Nippising. I was wondering if any of you guys had fished as an AM in the super series? Do you have any feed back or any advice.

Thanks guys

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

I have fished as an am with the CFT in the past and I will be doing the Canadian open in kingston this year as an AM . If you have never fished in a tournament before this is the best way to get a good taste of competitive fishing. Carefull once you get a taste you will deffenatly want more.

AL

Yes, I've been fishing in CFT Super Series as an AM for 2 years. If time permitted, I'll go for 3 of the 4 events. First of all, you'll be able to learn years worth of fishing experience from the Pros that you fish with; second, it's fun, meeting other anglers (pros or ams); third, you'll totally get hooked after you tried it out. Only thing you need to be careful is to try and book a hotel/motel room in advance (or stay with your friends) those rooms will be filled up very fast. Be there earlier on the registration day, after you get the name of the pros you are going to fish with, look for them and ask when to meet, cellphone number etc so that you guys can communicate just in case you get lost and can't find him/her. I was able to fish with some of the best anglers like Mike Desforges, JP DeRose, Les Zancy, Scott Palmer, Paul Climpson etc. If you have any question, feel free to ask :)

I am thinkin about fishing in the CFT as an Amature this year either at the thousand islands stop or Lake Nippising. I was wondering if any of you guys had fished as an AM in the super series? Do you have any feed back or any advice.

Thanks guys

-Ben

Thanks for posting the topic I was going to ask the same question, I am looking at the Simcoe event.

You will expect excitment, fun, wind blowing at your face 60 mph as the bass boat that you are one flying on top of the water (hang on tight). Bring enough water, expect very early day during the tournment, do not leave immediately after your weight in (you'll be on stage with your pro during weight in) talk to your next day pro about where and when to meet, where and how he/she is going to fish, so you can prepare your tackle as well. If you don't have the necessary gears, they will for sure let you use theirs. Bring some snacks with you, you'll need all the energy.

ONE THING IMPORTANT~!

When you are in their bass boat, you are there to assist the pro as much as possible, which include netting the fish, turn on or off the live well pump, sometimes set way point on GPS, etc.

DO NOT eat anything that will upset your stomach before your tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most important~ Learn and have fun~!

Here are some pic that I took during 2006 Super Series just to give you an idea :)

p8120131abh1.jpg

p7160026aek4.jpg

p7140006anp9.jpg

p8120132alp3.jpg

p8130146ahj2.jpg

Great to hear you guys had fun and hope I get to draw one or all of you this season. Will be my 2nd year fishing as a pro and let me tell you, there is nothing more addictive and fun. Once you've experienced a morning blast off, you won't be "normal" ever again, you'll be one of us. lol

To all, please come find me at the Pro/Am meeting and say hey so I can put some faces to the names on this board. Many of the Super Series Pros post on this board, JPD, Dave Mercer, David Chong and Mark Kulik to name a few.

Charles

Not much more can be said then what these guys have already.

It,s a rush,it a great time,great professionalism,you will learn SO much.

Had the honor and privilege to fish the Charles and David from the board. Got to meet the rest of the clan,just never was lucky enough to draw their names out of the hat.

I fished it for one season. Then I was hooked and bought my first boat. I'm no wheres near these top guys,but I feel I can compete and one day be there.I like being the boater as well.LOL

Heres some pictures from the past.

This was first day on Erie with the iceman Simon Frost.

After that it was smooth sailing.LOL

simonbrian2.jpg

ricelakeproam2005016.jpg

ricelakeproam2005015.jpg

ricelakeproam2005006.jpg

Barrietourney015.jpg

cftbarrie2006041.jpg

cftbarrie2006026.jpg

cftbarrie2006022.jpg

cftbarrie2006050.jpg

Have fun out there,and hang on.Some guys out there only have a consol to cover them not the co-angler. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::wallbash:

I've never fished as an AM yet!! I plan on doing one soon. I do fish the CFT 115 series which is a great level

for anyone to start at once you've been hooked.. Tournament fishing is very addictive and hard to leave behind once you've done it. Good luck with your first tourney experience!!!

I can see where some of you could get excited about all that action but for me Ill stick to a quiet little back bay early in the morning with no other boats around for miles but thats just me.

I can see where some of you could get excited about all that action but for me Ill stick to a quiet little back bay early in the morning with no other boats around for miles but thats just me.

Hey Eddy,I still enjoy those days up at my pops on the off weekends. :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Zman, it's very simple. Go to the fishcft.com web site, download the pdf registration form, fill in the events you want to fish and then mail it in with payment to them. They have a contact number and contact email on the web site as well if you have any questions.

eddyk, I totally understand and respect that aspect of fishing and the outdoors too. To each his own and the likes do not have to be in opposition or exclusionary of others. I think everyone takes what they need out of the outdoor and angling experience.

Charles

edit: Oops, Steelcat already beat me to it. This site is nothing if not full of extremely helpful people.

Edited by charlesn

just remember guys, only one am each day is going to fish with JPD, Dave Mercer, David Chong , Mark Kulik and Simon Frost...there are a lot of guys that will not do very well....

over 25 years ago I went in as an Am.. just to see how the other guys were fishing.......

first day the guy couldn't find any fish and where he was fishing I didn't expect to catch any...finally I told him of a spot and we both got our limits.....

second day I was with someone who was skunked the first day and thought he would just do a milk run looking for fish....a nice day fishing but I didn't learn anything, I catch the only 2 fish

third day I thought I was in good...the guy was a well known tourney guy....he tells me his fish didn't turn on the first 2 days so he wasn't about to make the long run and waste gas..so he idled away from the blast off spot and we fished rip rap all day and never lost sight of the weigh in site....I did learn how to sling shot the line to make the snagged jig pop out from under a rock..but that was it..and I was disappointed with the tourney...

my friend ended up with 2 of 3 good fishermen and thought it was great.............

so it may or may not be what you were expecting...

Edited by Terry

True, not all of the pros fish as well as the top famous pros. But you'll be able to learn alot not only from the pro you fish with, but everyone that fish in the tournment, talk to them, share techniques. One thing for sure, I was very lucky to be able to fish with top pros like JP, Mike Desforges, etc. There were also an AM that paired with Dave Mercer for both days of fishing. Just try and enjoy the event :)

Yes I/we need to realize that all will not bring in the five pigs,toads hogs,what ever you want to call them,but like said,you will learn. Just because a pro isn't on fish,doesn't mean he doesn't know what he or she is doing. They were there during prefish,but gone today. Thats fishing.

Thats what happen when I fished with Darren Jacko, We got on them the second day,at the weigh in, Bob ask how the day went,we told him,and his comment was,they came back up eh. Everyday is different.

Terry and I learned first hand from each other,they are not always there. L M A O. More not,then are. HEHEHE

And the down side to tournaments is,boats don't start,motor falls off,spin a hub,trolling motor dies,these kind of things do happen at times,and makes for a miserable long day.

Happen when I was out with Wayne. I turned the key off and for some reason the key tumbler spun inside and the power never shut off. Dead battery and you need alot of juice to crank over that Varado.

Long tow up river.

Edited by misfish

This happened to my pro on Rice Lake 2005. We were fishing all morning in his pre fished point with no luck. Then he decided to move to the Otonabee River, in no time we caught our limit + some more. At the end, we were top in the 1st day of the tournment. But on the 2nd day, he went back to the river but it seems that fish were gone. Same thing happened on my 2nd day Belleville, my pro went to a spot where he caught 30+ bass on his 1st day; as we went to the same spot on the 2nd day, there wasn't even a bite. Different pros have different way to fish their tournment, that's when we can learn different types of fishing style

Granted, sometimes it's the luck of the draw! Competing against and knowing most of the guys on CFT Super Series tour, I can tell you that there are not many slouches! The competition gets tougher everyday and I think that your chances of not learning anything is somewhere between slim & none! Somedays, you might learn what not to do as much as what to do! We look forward to seeing anyone who has any interest in competitive fishing on the tour this summer!

Cheers,

Dave