A report of the Last Few days.. (Steel and White)

Been hitting the local rivers each day for an hour or so per day just screwing around for rainbows. Got 2 little shakers bottom bouncing spawn, weathers warming up though and the rivers are rising, so it should start getting good...just in time for my Steelhead rods to show up :D

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae310/archie_james_c/007.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae310/archie_james_c/002-2.jpg

Me and a buddy headed North of town for some Whitefish action, 2 days ago we went out for 2 hours and went 7 whities caught to 3 lost, also went out tonight and went 4 landed, 3 lost (because I didnt open the hook gap up on my damn tear drops when I started :rolleyes: ). All whities where caught on tear drops with wax worms jigged in various depths.

Sorry the Whitie pic isnt less "barbaric"...these stupid things start bleeding if you just look at them :rolleyes:

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae310/archie_james_c/005.jpg

Nice job! What steelhead rods do you have coming?

Wisers 9' Light-Moderate Croix Avid and a Tierra 3500 for Bottom Bouncing/Light duty floating, and Hamiltons 15' Raven IM9 for floating...not sure what center pin I'm going with...thinking an Okuma Aventa :dunno:

Wisers 9' Light-Moderate Croix Avid and a Tierra 3500 for Bottom Bouncing/Light duty floating, and Hamiltons 15' Raven IM9 for floating...not sure what center pin I'm going with...thinking an Okuma Aventa :dunno:

Some good mojo attached to both of those rods. :)

The 15' IM9 will be a good stick for the rapids.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to trying out center pins. My Avid just came in from Wiser today, man he gave me a great deal on a MINT rod. I got it ready to rock, I'm gonna head down to the rapids on my 2 hour break from school this afternoon and try it out.

I still dont like 2 piece rods though :whistling:

Some good mojo attached to both of those rods. :)

The 15' IM9 will be a good stick for the rapids.

I'd say...2 hours into fishing Wisers old Avid I had a large Hen on. Fought here to the shore, went to beach here on the rocks. She did the death roll on me and my Flouro leader scraped the rocks...she flopped back into the water and off she went :lol:

Jay your Raven better have some good luck coming with it too!

So whats everyone thinking for an entry level center pin?

I'd say...2 hours into fishing Wisers old Avid I had a large Hen on. Fought here to the shore, went to beach here on the rocks. She did the death roll on me and my Flouro leader scraped the rocks...she flopped back into the water and off she went :lol:

Jay your Raven better have some good luck coming with it too!

So whats everyone thinking for an entry level center pin?

I started with an Okuma, but IMO Raven makes better entry level pins for the cost. Look at Matrix special editions, I think they are new this year, at a great price (less than 200$, I think 160-180 but don't quote me), and they run great. I also know Gagnon's had a great sale on Sheffield pins during their sale, but I'm not sure what they are costing now. As with most gear, you get what you spend. If you want a pin that will last 1-2 years, look at entry level stuff. If you are convinced that you are hooked on pinning, I recommend spending a little more on something that will last you longer. I'm a fan of investing on gear, and reaping the benefits through maintenance and taking care of your gear. Check out your local tackle shop, feel a reel for yourself, check eBay/kijiji/craigslist, and always read reviews. If you come across a good deal for quality equipment I say jump on it.

I just got my new GLX and SST combo and I can't wait to last my first steelie on it!!

Good luck!

as far as pins go, get somthing you will keep for a while, i got a used islander myself, and it's been great. if i started with the okuma aventa, i'm sure i would have been itching to spend more cash to upgrade pretty soon after. the sheffield is pretty nice if you can find a good one used to

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i started on an aventa and there was nothing wrong with it for the price. i found it a little heavy, but with a 15' rod i'm sure weight isn't exactly going to be a concern...

i use a raven sst-3 now. it's smooth, very light, and reasonable in price.

methinks some of those 500-1000 dollar pins are status symbols and collectors items so unless you plan on 'pinning 6 months of the year I'd steer clear of those.

Archie, that rod balances nice with a matrix reel, I had the 5" version on it previously. The SST2 is a great reel for the $, not sure who's carrying what in town these days after the fishing store shuffle, but I'm sure Okumas and Raven are still available locally.

Also I picked up a Sheffield for next to nothing at the place in Mackinac City, worth calling down anyways, it was well worth the drive to pick it up.

The rod has beached a few fish in its day, lots of fun in the rapids during the salmon run, you can turn some brutes with it.

Archie, that rod balances nice with a matrix reel, I had the 5" version on it previously. The SST2 is a great reel for the $, not sure who's carrying what in town these days after the fishing store shuffle, but I'm sure Okumas and Raven are still available locally.

Also I picked up a Sheffield for next to nothing at the place in Mackinac City, worth calling down anyways, it was well worth the drive to pick it up.

The rod has beached a few fish in its day, lots of fun in the rapids during the salmon run, you can turn some brutes with it.

Ill be looking on ebay and such alot for used center pins!

Well Wiser, your Avid fianlly did me some good :D .... 7.5 pound hen on a pink floating sack. Turned her around in the current with a 6 pound leader no problem... :thumbsup_anim:

004-2.jpg