How To Vertical Jig For River Walleyes

brandon

I had the pleasure of getting out on the Detroit River with Jon Bondy yesterday to film a how-to video on vertical jigging for river walleyes. Although we didn't manage any fish, it was still great to be out there!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZIKjaKR4bu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have been doing this for about 30 years on the Niagara River in a area nicknamed "The Fish Market" which is just above the Peace Bridge on the USA side of the river....this was also a great technique years ago when I use to fish Bobcaygon in the channel below the dam/lock.....

He did a great job explaining everything but I was surprised he didn't get into more detail on how important it is to stay vertical which means as close to the boat as possible...on rivers where there are a lot of snags if your jig gets out and away from your boat you will be spending more time trying to get out of snags then fishing.....so I tried to keep my line as vertical as possible (line is more up and down then out from boat) and sometimes depending on the current that day and wind you actually need to increase the size of your jig so you don't get snagged as much...the heavier jig will drop faster which is good because you want to keep popping that jig up and down between the rocks to trigger a bite. As Jon Bondy explained the walleyes (bass too) will grab the jig on the fall, but you will feel the fish on the next lift of your rod.

This is a great way to fish current areas....if you see someone doing this with a VERTICAL presentation, that angler knows what he's doing as he's experienced in fishing there....but if you see someone that isn't vertical but drifting jigs in current areas, well that angler will spend more time running back up river to free a snag then catching fish...Sometimes HEAVIER jigs are better.... :)

Bob

What Bob said, he kept saying he was going to show us but never showed it. I think a rod spooled up with some bright power pro was in order so we could see it happen.

I fish this river constantly and it was tough to pick up at first. You become really good at multitasking in a a hurry fishing the detroit river. Running the trolling motor with your foot and yankin on the walleyes with your hand!

Wednesday is the day for me, I have decided.

I have been doing this for about 30 years on the Niagara River in a area nicknamed "The Fish Market" which is just above the Peace Bridge on the USA side of the river....this was also a great technique years ago when I use to fish Bobcaygon in the channel below the dam/lock.....

He did a great job explaining everything but I was surprised he didn't get into more detail on how important it is to stay vertical which means as close to the boat as possible...on rivers where there are a lot of snags if your jig gets out and away from your boat you will be spending more time trying to get out of snags then fishing.....so I tried to keep my line as vertical as possible (line is more up and down then out from boat) and sometimes depending on the current that day and wind you actually need to increase the size of your jig so you don't get snagged as much...the heavier jig will drop faster which is good because you want to keep popping that jig up and down between the rocks to trigger a bite. As Jon Bondy explained the walleyes (bass too) will grab the jig on the fall, but you will feel the fish on the next lift of your rod.

This is a great way to fish current areas....if you see someone doing this with a VERTICAL presentation, that angler knows what he's doing as he's experienced in fishing there....but if you see someone that isn't vertical but drifting jigs in current areas, well that angler will spend more time running back up river to free a snag then catching fish...Sometimes HEAVIER jigs are better.... :)

Bob

Some really good points there, especially on the larger jig use. I use 3/8-1/2oz. more often than smaller jigs on the rainy river. Basically it allows you to fish where you want to fish, and with smaller jigs, it's very difficult to even judge where your lure actually is.

Also, I agree about the vertical presentation, but, I much prefer to cast and retrieve to find the right structure and to find active fish. IMO this method will land many more fish in a river setting, then vertical jigging. But, there are times for both techniques, judging when why and where is the question the angler has to figure out, lol.