Cobourg Creek Fish Lift this Saturday

Ron

So here it is Ladies and Gents.

The Cobourg Fish lift will be held once again this year.

Everyone is welcome to participate and or spectate. For those of you who help and require Community Hours for High School credit, 3 hrs minimum will be credited.

Date: Saturday April 2nd, (weather permitting)

Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Place: Google map link

Please respect this property as it is a Golf Course, so stay on all paths. A sign in sheet is required and all persons under the age of 18 MUST be signed by legal guardian.

We are anticipating to lift 100 pairs over the dam.

If by chance a severe storm, it will be canceled and rescheduled for April 9th.

Cheers, Ron...

fish lift, eh? How does it work? Can you actually net them and move them upstream? This I would like to see....

If you look at the few pictures posted, you will see a dam in the background. The fish are pushed up into the pool below the dam and a net is set across the creek. People then go in with nets and attempt to catch them. Once caught, they are brought over to the OMNR staff and placed in holding pens where the Biologists ID the sex, a quick measure, check for lamprey marks, stocked, etc...

Once they are ID'd, they are then set into a large basket, 3 at the most at a time and then lifted with ropes and pulleys attached to an ATV to lift them up to the top of the dam. They are released above the dam to hopefully find the spawning grounds before they are harvested.

This is all manual "hands on" work and by the end of the lift, you get all warm and fuzzy inside knowing you have helped improve the chances for a continuing population of Rainbow Trout for future generations to enjoy. There are many people who come out to participate, most of them don't even fish for trout, yet there are so many that fish for these and make a living from it and you don't even see them come out to cheer us on, rather ironic I think.

Cheers, Ron...

Do we need to bring nets?

I don't think I have any as large as the ones in the pics.

do we need to sign up for it? me and a friend could use some volunteer hours =] and of course..some quality time with those trouts =D

Yes, if you have nets, please bring em along.

You do not need to preregister, there is a simple sign in for where you print your name and then signature.

If you are looking for the volunteer hours, be sure to bring your sheet along with you and have one of teh MNR staff sign it.

Cheers, Ron...

Well it was a fantastic day, for weather, friends and fish.

Thank you to everyone who help out with the successful lifting of 200 rainbows over the dam in Cobourg Creek.

Fishliftsml.jpg

We saw some gorgeous fish.

Keithsm.jpg

This will take a couple of posts to show photos of the great fun had by all involved.

The famous Ron was hard at it all day but he seemed confused as he went back and forth 40 feet in the same spot all morning, on the ATV.

Ronsml.jpg

Most importantly a lot of families and their kids stopped by and learned about Rainbow trout and their spring spawning run.

kidssml.jpg

Edited by Michael Brown

Oh, did I mention the family fun. The lovely bride and little man stopped in to help us this year.

Mom, liam, dadsml.jpg

A great day for sure! Thanks for all the hard work & looking forward to doing it all again next year :)