my goat gave birth

Teressa

I am so happy, I just had to share this. My goat gave birth this morning to twins! It is our first time experiencing this. They are so cute. Such a wonderful experience, even though we did not get to watch the births.

1103261857000.JPG

Thanks everyone. :) Daplumma I have a question for you if you don't mind. The people I have talked to have never come across this before, and I just want to be sure what I plan on doing is not going to hurt our doe or her kids.

About 2 weeks before she gave birth, the doe laid down and wouldn't get back up, being new to this we did not know this was not normal behaviour. We thought it was because she was so big. She would move positions, but not stand up. Now after the kids were born, she still won't stand. We began trying to help her up and she would try, but just couldn't do it. Today we realized her front legs would not straighten and thats why she can not stand. We have been getting the kids to nurse with her laying down, not an easy feat, not I know proper.

We decided we would use a heating pad wrapped around her leg several times a day for 5 or 10 minutes, then massage and straighten her legs. We are hoping eventually her muscles (I am assuming thats what the problem is) will lengthen back out and she will then be able to stand again. I read that I can put a horse liniment on her legs and that might help as well, also giving her an asprin.

She is eating and drinking normally, she does not appear to be in any pain.

What do you think? Any help or advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

LOL thanks Joey. Thanks Daplumma, we talked to the vet and he told us that because we have dewormed her, plus describing symptoms it does not sound like meningial worm. He told us to try what we are attempting, and see how it works. Thanks for the help. We appreciate it.