Angling Code of Ethics

Steelcat

After fishing in Ontario water for several years, I have seen a lot of good anglers as well as bad anglers. I said good and bad anglers doesn't mean they can catch big and a lot of fish, what I mean is how they treat other anglers as well as the environment (the fish they catch, the place where they fish etc).

I think we all should post some form of Angling Code of Ethics that we all should follow as an Ontario Angler.

Here are several points can be added in this Code of Ethics:

- Handle all fish with care (I've seen people treated fish really nasty....throwing a fish that they didn't want up in the air and let it fell in a splash)

- Leaving your fishing spot cleaner than you first arrived (gotta hate junk fishing lines, hooks, trash all over the place)

- Be nice to fellow anglers in the area (I've seen people actually fight for a spot or when someone caught a fish, 10+ lines will be casted onto the same spot, then lines got tangled and temper flares)

- Leave enough space for every angler to fish (This happened to me when I was fishing in a fishing pier with lots of fishing space, but then another guy came right beside me shoulder to shoulder as if I wasn't even there.)

I'm sure there are more to be added into this Angling Code of Ethics, please feel free to add your opinions

What you are describing is common sense behaviour, regardless of the activity.

Whether you create an ethics code or try to educate people, there will always be rude, inconsiderate people that kick fish back into the water, litter, and encroach on another anglers spots.

As embarassing as it is to admit, it's human nature.

Tony

Yep. Tony's right. You'll never be able to do anything to change it either. Went steelheading on the weekend and got there before most. My buddy went back to the car to re-tie his line before sunup and I thought I heard him come back and walk up behind me until my other buddy asked where he was. Another guy had just walked up within 2 feet of me and was just waiting to cast. After my friend asked where the other guy was I just turned around looked at the guy and said I thought that was him. He gave a little chuckle then moved away from me. But there is usually no consideration in these situations. Everybody thinks that all the fish are sitting in a 20 foot stretch of the river so it fills up fast.

What a crock anything can change just like the seat belt law it took awhile but people are starting to listen.But if your still waring Platform shoe's and plad bell bottoms then you have some work to do. Life is always changing as much as you say you don't change you do. l know of two guys that changed their fishing style because they always get wet when l catch them snaging with the gaff hooks lol. Look it is prisistance and people talking about it that gets the change happening. Saying that people wont change is just saying you don't really care and that you are not going to do anything about it.

Peace Ken

What can I do about it? I ask the person who is fishing the spot if they mind if I fish beside them. I don't care what the answer is cause I'll just go find another spot if he says no. I've only had very few ask me the same when I'm fishing a spot they want to fish most just walk up beside you and don't even aknowledge you are there. I've had the same guy do it to me time and time again and I always say how are ya this morning and get no answer. It's not gonna change. Guys just want to catch fish and if they think the fish are in front of where you are fishing they will most likely come fish beside you wether they ask you to or not. I'm not saying all anglers are like this but when it comes to steelheading most are. For instance I was fishing my fav spot bottom bouncing roe with a couple split shots. We were there for about an hour and then this other guy comes and starts fishing on the other side of the creek. He was using a float and kept getting tangled in our lines. After this happened about 5 times he shot a comment across that we should be using floats. (he wasn't catching any and I was) I just smiled and said to him I'll fish how I want to fish and we were here first so if you don't like it MOVE! He didn't end up moving or catching any fish. This is what I am talking about though. There was no one else fishing that day yet he had to be right across the creek from us. Most of the time when guys move in on me like that I just move or leave but there is the odd time when I say screw it and stay and catch fish in front of them which usually ticks them off enough to leave.

What a crock anything can change just like the seat belt law it took awhile but people are starting to listen.

Like I said...even creating a law doesn't mean people will change. People still drive without wearing seatbelts, even though they are putting their own life at risk in addition to being susceptible to a fine from the police.

Does it make any sense why they don't wear a seatbelt? NO!...neither does littering, disrepecting people and kicking fish but that still happens.

It would be nice though, if common sense wasn't so uncommon.

Tony

Its a great idea. But i think what you guys have said is correct about the plain good old fashion common sense. Some people have have it and some don't and i dont think there is much you can do to change it. It has to do with behaviour and cultural norms, and changing peoples behaviours and attitude is very tough. I see people down here in Kentucky for example who catch muskie, club them on head and throw the fish on the shore and leave them to die. I asked them why they did that and the response was that "they eat the bass" and " i have always done this". I was so shocked by that answer. Two years ago i was fishing the french river and i saw some body who caught a muskie, and kept it even though it was too small. I asked them the size and they told me it was 45 inches. Then i told them the muskie size limit was 48 inches. Then there reply was "oh i made a mistake measuring it was actaully 48 inches and it was probably a pike". My reply was that I had taken their boat registration number and i was going to contact the OMNR. They told me to "take a hike". Well, i contacted the crime stoppers numeber on the muskie poster that says recognize the difference, and they said that there was nothing they could do about that. They gave me the MNR phone number and it was on a weekend and they were closed. I tell you some people these days just have no respect. What can you do.

Edited by mattyk

exactly. What can you do? Especially if the group that is supposed to have control over the situation doesn't do anything when they are phoned. Sure you can try to help the situation but like mattyk said peoples attitudes are hard to change... YOu can try till you're blue in the face and some will listen and some will not.

addicted, I can totally understand where you are coming from. I've caught a fish, landed it, turned around to start fishing and there are 2 guys right where I was fishing when I hooked the fish, only they have waded in up to their thighs! grrr hehe

When I arrive at a pool I want to fish and there are people there I assess the situation. Is there room to fish? if so then a simple "mind if I can join you guys for a couple drifts?" question rarely gets a no answer. It's all about respect. If I don't get an answer or they say there is no room, then I'll chill out for a bit and wait for them to leave or move to the next spot. Life is too short and time on the water too valuable to get ticked off about other guys acting like idiots.

I think that in general, angling ethics have taken a dive with the Internet age. Respect for other anglers and learning streamside etiquette isn't something you can scour from a message board. It is something that comes from experience, tolerance, patience, and time spent fishing amongst others with the same interest.

Tony

My idea of Angling Code of Ethics doesn't mean that we should put down a "Law" to force people to follow. But like Code of Ethics of programming or Code of Ethics of medical doctor in which all try their best to follow and help spread the words about being a better Angler.

I've also seen many wonder Anglers who politely asked if it's ok for him/her to fish beside me.

That's exactly my feeling Tony. I wish I could do more about it but unfortunately I can't. That's the thing too, if more guys would ask me if they could fish with me I may give them more tips or help them out a little more when they aren't catching any fish. Or even net their fish for them if they get one. There has only been one guy that ever asked to fish next to me. I had already caught 2 in that hole and 6 in total that morning so I said sure. We fished together for about 20 mins and then I had to get going. Just as I got my stuff put away I see his float go down and him set the hook. I said there you go and he ensued fighting a giant male steelie. He asked me to stay so I could net it for him and I said sure. (By the way that was one of the most exciting battles I have ever watched!) I netted his fish for him and took a couple of pictures of him with the fish with his camera before he let it go. Now any time I go and see him we always have a chat about how the fishing is and what we have caught recently. That's the way it should be but most of the time it isn't.

ATF

The ugliness of sharing the spot doesn't end with fishing, I saw a news item on CBC from Winnipeg where, in the fall there is a road just outside the protected goose area and the hunters were shoulder to shoulder. With the tv cameras rolling a goose came over and 2 guys stood up and shot, the goose dropped and both claimed the goose. In the end, one guy walked up to the goose on the ground, emptied his shotgun into it , turned to the other guy and said "yup, I guess it's yours".

I find the trick to catching in tribs in the spring is finding the water that isnt being fished, it may not be that perfect pool, but alot of the time it pays off. Last night I was fishing a less than perfect run and ended up going 1 for 3 with a personal best in only an hour!

Good words to live by. Maybe you can't convert everyone around you ... but setting the proper example goes a long way. I treat all fish I catch with care - whether Im keeping them or not. Always pick up trash that I run across and make sure it is disposed of properly. The areas I fish are beautiful and I want it to stay that way. If there are others in the area .... I just give them room, go around, and maybe come back later.

Edited by Rich Clemens