Anti Malware Doctor

Fishnwire

Has anyone ever had this? I just got rid of it thanks to the help of OFNer Overcast, but what a PITA. Before I go any further I'll admit picking it up in the first place was partially my fault, but they go to pretty extraordinary lengths to pull the wool over your eyes if you're not careful.

It tricks you into clicking on it somehow, and once on your computer, it claims to have found "threats" such as spyware or other malware. The thing is the only malicious program you have is the Antimalware Doctor itself. It "recommends" you buy the "full version" which will eliminate the threats it has detected. In reality, you would just be paying to remove Antimalware Doctor, because the rest of your system is probably clean.

I've had it a couple of times a year or two ago and was able to get rid of it relatively easily with free downloads and instructions readily available online. But this time I noticed they really stepped up their attack. For one, the screen that initially "tricked" me into clicking on it and beginning the download looked almost exactly like Windows Live Care One (or whatever its called)...same lay-out, same colours, even the same multi-coloured shield icon. The other thing is that it wouldn't let me browse using Internet Explorer. As soon as whatever page I wanted to look at comes up, a message saying, "You're unprotected! Download full version now!" window would come up. As soon as you hit "Continue Unprotected" the screen drops off and comes right back. Without Firefox or another browser already installed, you can't do a darn thing. Also you get a message or a fake scan begins every few minutes.

Another thing they do is trick you with the "Are you Sure?" dialog boxes when you click on options. It will give you the option of "Buying full version (recomended)" or "Continue unprotected (DANGEROUS!!!)" Then when you click continue, a verification box comes up with "yes" and "no" as options...but the dialog in the box isn't "Are you sure?", it's something like "You'll be unprotected. Please purchase the full version." That's how they sometimes get you in the first place.

The really weird thing is that if you google "Antimalware Doctor" you get directed to many sites that can get rid of it for you. They scan your computer for free and will detect the malware...however, all but one seem to require a paid activation to clean your computer of them. If you go to Wikipedia and type in "Antimalware Doctor"...all you get is a list of the sites I just mentioned. As far as I can tell, you can't even create an entry pertaining to it. There are even sites set up that look like advice forums that recommend you purchase one of the available remedies. I have a feeling most of these "remedies" are put out by the very same people who put out Antimalware Doctor.

What I don't understand is how they can get away with this. This can't be legal, and to "purchase the full version" you need a major credit card. It would seem that there would be a way for the authorities to track down where the money is going, or at least put a stop to their ability to receive funds this way. What I would do if I could get my hands on the computer geek/criminal behind this. I wonder if his mother is proud.

Happened to me also and what scare.Got rid of mine by downloading free Spybot Search and Destroy.

Gets rid of these types of malware and innoculates your computer against further attacks.Get it,install it and use it occasionally to clean your system if you search the net alot.Keep it updated.its free

There are a couple of those types of scams that pop up every year. "Super anti-Virus Remover XP" comes to mind. There is also a scam where the user gets a phone call from "Microsoft" stating that they will do a security update check for you. The update is done( a program is installed) and then they want a sum of money for the removal of some virus. This fraud (representing Mircosoft - MS doesn't call you)is obviously an inside job as your phone number and IP address must be known. These low lifes target older retired uses. My question is how do they get both the phone number and IP address and the name of the user. Someone is giving/selling this info from a service provider or has hacked that info from a server.

I have fixed two systems remotley for seniors that have called me. Both have a similar story.

These low lifes prey on the ignorant.

muddler

As a PC builder and repair guy i can attest to most anti virus/malware software are scams. The best antivirus/malware protection is common sense. The biggest and most used virus is an antivirus, Norton has been invading and taking control of peoples computers for years not to mention the huge resource hog that it is. If you use Internet explorer stop and install firefox. Its faster, safer, more stable and is more user friendly. It even come with built in virus scanner and malware protection. It will tell you when you use google search which sites are safe and not. Its not 100% reliable but a nice feature none the less. Stay away from free trial antivirus/malware software, panda comes to mind. There is one also advertised on the TV that i don't recall the name but is a scam. Use common sens when browsing and downloading. You can also get peerblocker to help against malware. But this program tends to block allot of site IPs. So the safe ones need to be allowed by right clicking the IP in the program and selecting allow. For those who use torrent I HIGHLY recommend this to block unwanted IPs to track you like government and law enforcement, Disney, pixar and anothers.

We had that problem on our big computer one time, it is damned annoying. Ended up getting lucky and catching it right when it happened and I did a quick restore to a week earlier and it cleared it up.

I bet this multi-million dollar industry is started by the anti virus companies themselves :whistling::rolleyes:

Another thing they do is trick you with the "Are you Sure?" dialog boxes when you click on options. It will give you the option of "Buying full version (recomended)" or "Continue unprotected (DANGEROUS!!!)" Then when you click continue, a verification box comes up with "yes" and "no" as options...but the dialog in the box isn't "Are you sure?", it's something like "You'll be unprotected. Please purchase the full version." That's how they sometimes get you in the first place.

When you first see the pop up window telling you that you are infected and you should do a scan, that is when you should stop clicking on any windows. After the malware does its fake scan any box you click on will install the malware. It doesn't matter if you click "yes","no" "cancel" or the "X" in the top right of the pop up box. To get out of the situation push and hold down together Ctrl-Alt-Delete but only do it once. (If you do it twice you computer will reboot.) Windows Task Manager will pop up. Click on the "Applications" tab. The fake Anti Malware will probably be running on your browser. See what programs are running. Highlight your browser and select end task. You should see the malware boxes disappear unless you have multiple browser windows open, if you do, then use end task on all of them.

This will get you out of the situation before you are infected.

Lol the only reason mac don't have as many as Windows systems is due to the fact that there are more windows systems then there are macs. Macs also cost 300% more then a pc unless your very computer savy and build your own. PCs are more versatile then macs anyways. By the time there is an apple computer in ever house it will be to late and judgement day will have arrived since that nazi Steve Jobs is going to end up making skynet launching all the nukes in the world at the same time. Might as well call apple Cyberdime Corp. :P

Edited by umKthxbye

Lol the only reason mac don't have as many as Windows systems is due to the fact that there are more windows systems then there are macs. Macs also cost 300% more then a pc unless your very computer savy and build your own. PCs are more versatile then macs anyways. By the time there is an apple computer in ever house it will be to late and judgement day will have arrived since that nazi Steve Jobs is going to end up making skynet launching all the nukes in the world at the same time. Might as well call apple Cyberdime Corp. :P

nah, that's not the case... in fact, it's zero for mac, and I don't know how many virus/malware for windows...

the reason windows is more vulnerable is because the system is based on a DOS system and the Mac is based on a Unix system which has multiple layers of security and are more stringent in terms of coding and permissions...

Macs are not as expensive as you think, the base model mac mini starts at around $600... and for a Mac, even lower specs could translate into a peppy system that doesn't bog down over time...

Macs also cost 300% more then a pc unless your very computer savy and build your own.

I would agree with that if we were still living in 1986. But as has been noted, you can buy a new Mac for about $750. A comparable PC is about $600. That's not much of a price difference, especially when I see how much time PC guys spend doing system updates and virus scans and all sorts of other nonsense.

I open my Mac and it just works. That's all I want.

nah, that's not the case... in fact, it's zero for mac, and I don't know how many virus/malware for windows...

the reason windows is more vulnerable is because the system is based on a DOS system and the Mac is based on a Unix system which has multiple layers of security and are more stringent in terms of coding and permissions...

Macs are not as expensive as you think, the base model mac mini starts at around $600... and for a Mac, even lower specs could translate into a peppy system that doesn't bog down over time...

Macs do have viruses don't pretend that they don't.

As far as specs and cost goes take a mac, then take a pc with the same specs and it will cost allot less. I don't know were most of you gets your pcs from but i can build a pc with equal if not better specs for half the price of the mac. I'm a systems builder and also favor upgradability. Cant do that with a mac. I'm not going to go into pc are better then mac and macs are better then pcs debate since its really personal choices. I was simply saying that you cant say "buy a mac, they have no viruses", when they really do. Maybe not as many, but they do have some. He might as well get a pc for cheap and run ubuntu.

@Craig,

I open my pc and it just works, i don't us a virus scanner and the reason i don't have issues is due to my common sense when browsing.

The lesson is: don't be an idiot when browsing and downloading and you wont get bad things on you computer.

Edited by umKthxbye

Now that Apple has gotten away from PowerPC and gone Intel, their prices have come more inline with the PC's of the world. However, comparing the price of a MBP and a similarly equipped Intel laptop and it doesn't take long to figure out you are paying more for similar hardware :)

If you have ever actually read the itunes agreement ... or the developers agreement you would know why Mr. Jobs can NEVER be allowed to become the only choice.... good stuff ?? yes normally (if they manage to get along with the other players) ... but make no mistake... they OWN your system and they get paid for EVERYTHING you buy for it and everything you try to do on it.

By the way I run ESET NOD32 and Sunbelt Counterspy with excellent results on several devices.

Edited by camillj