Pike, Walleye, Specks and Splake.

BassAsin

Managed to talk a buddy into a couple hours of last day nip wallie fishin last week. left town at 6 30 pm after work and went to deepwater for a bit more of a goodbye/thank you to the lake for the ice season. jigged up one little lad about 14 inches and never took a pic. but did get a pic of a beautiful goodbye to the season from ma nature.

DSC_0031.jpg

then this past friday hiked into a specky lake about 2 km and set up for sunrise. bite was more than slow. so i pulled my set line and started making swiss cheese of the ice walking the shoreline popping holes and jigging. about the 15th hole i pulled this gorgeous hen out. only 15 inches but hit and faught like a 4 pounder.

DSC_0052.jpg

sunday we made another treck into a splake lake about 3 km of easy walkin. sun was shining and the wind blew hard at about 1 km an hour. it was a splendid day. before i had the 4th hole set Bam! a nice one about 15 inches long. little did we know it was going to be the only bite of the day fished hard, moved lots jigged and looked down the holes and never saw a thing. but here he is.

DSC_0056.jpg

got out again tooday for pike hit the ice at about 4 30. i had 9 deccent minnows about 8 inches long and was out of them by 7 30.sun was bright buut the wind was nasty steady at about 25km and gusting about 35. one tiny slimer but most from 3-5lbs. missed one that snapped my 20lb black braid and sliced my finger open on the line while he ran. only snappped a pic of one. this guys about 24 inches but the reason for the photo was the growth inside his eyeball.

does anyone know what it is?

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Matt!

Edited by BassAsin

it's a beauty looking specky for sure the guy I had gone in with and myself were into this lake back in Feb and caught 4. i'll find pics. the eye thing i'm not sure never seen it before. :mellow: We will have to plan an outing or two for next winter Wayne. I'm not a real big fan of leaving sled tracks into my trout lakes RC. thats the largest reason for the hiking. oh yea the total on the pike was 7 by the way.

Mark on the pike could be scar tissue, but more likely some type of cyst. The fish may not even see it.

it doesnt appear as though there was any damage around the eye. a cyst would make sense it was floating inside the eyeball membrane it wasnt attached to anything, seemed to be "floating" around, and he seems to see fine he had a sunfish in his throat and my 8 inch chub in his gullet too.

Thanks Jaques!