I'd rather be stupid and lucky than good. (fishing report no pics)

Canuck2fan

After getting brutalized by mother nature yesterday in the rain, and by the fishing gods with a decided lack of fish. I decided last night that I would give it another try today. I figured out that to have any chance of getting the spot I wanted I would have to leave the house by 5AM. The first instance of my being stupid was that when I set the alarm last night at 11:30 PM I chose 4PM instead of 4AM, but "luckily" as a party next door was breaking up someone's door slamming and yelling woke me up at 3:55 AM and so I was lying there waiting for the alarm, and was able to figure out my mistake when it didn't go off.

I got the car loaded and after having to come back in 3 times due forgetting stupid things like my light, cell, and rod holder, luckily though I still got on the road at 4:52 AM. Hot coffee in hand thanks to Timmies, I took off in some of the worst fog I have driven through, in a long while. Luckily I was making very good time as one else was stupid enough to be out blasting down the highway at that hour.

Having seen only 3 cars during the 40 plus mile trip on the highway, I was sweating bullets when I saw the amount of traffic as I pulled in to the town where the trib is. Luck was on my side again when I pulled past 4 guys who were having a tug of war with the bait machine a couple of miles from the spot. They must have been new to the area because everybody knows that machine NEVER works. I pulled into the parking lot and was very relieved to see I was the first car there. I was just putting the final touches on gearing up when the four guys from the machine come roaring in.... After they saw me walking to the "spot" they stopped to confirm I intended to fish where they wanted to, luckily instead of forcing me out, which they could have because I am not stupid enough to go four on one anymore, they decided to leave to try another trib.

Anyhow I got set up about 6:10 and in my hurry to beat the four guys I had decided that I wouldn't need to change the batteries in my headlamp, and I left the spare batteries on the back seat of the car instead of slipping them into my pocket, stupid me as I got out to spot and planted my rod holder just as it died. Lucky me I was there though as walking across that ice on the shore without a light in the dark could have been broken leg or a cold dunking I'm sure. I figure what the heck I can just wait till I can see enough to bait up and cast, when I remember I have another light in my vest that I lend to friends when they come along. WOOOOO the batteries aren't dead, so I can see to get out some spawn and put it on the hook instead of my finger. I cast out and go put the rod in the holder when I discover that enough ice melted yesterday afternoon that I could have brought my chair which is in the car but I decide standing won't so bad as I look back into the lot and it is like a swap meet is happening must be 15 cars and 35 people all slinging out gear. I know if I walk back to the car I will come back to find the "spot" taken. I did get a bit of a laugh when 3 different groups started to brave the trek over to where I was only to stop half way and mutter obscenities when they finally notice I am there mainly because I flash my light in there eyes and say good morning..... They couldn't see without the light because I guess my cammo that I where fishing does work in the dark.

Since my plan was to bottom fish till dawn because I don't have lighted floats yet and the glow in the dark ones I have I can't see. I glance at the rod in the holder from time to time as I am looking for a small twig to toss in to check the current flow for when I can see well enough to try drifting. Sure enough just as soon as I get about 10 feet away from the rod it starts waving back and forth like crazy. I rush back and grab it feel a couple of tugs and stupidly do a massive hook set, luckily I duck just as the sinker and bare hook go whizzing past my left ear. Darn rookie mistake, that was close because I don't know about how good those expensive polarized glasses like Maui Jims work in the pitch black darkness, but my 50.00 dollar Costco cheapies don't work at night so I didn't have them on yet. After reading that post on here with the picture of the guy with a red devil in his eye I really feel I was very lucky on that one.

I bait up again and cast, set the rod in the holder and watch intently for about 10 minutes, nothing happening so I decide to go back after that twig to check the current..... This time I get about 2 steps and the rod is dancing and swaying like a gogo dancer on crack. I pull it out of the holder and feel this massive tug. I gently set the hook this time and I can't believe the weight of whatever it is. It will take line and I can hold it but I can't gain on it. I am thinking it must be a channel cat. Four or five times I am sure I am snagged but when I open the bail it takes line. Finally I decide to break the line so I set the rod down and start hand lining to get it tight enough to break it. Good plan I thought, except whatever it is, it slowly starts to come in when I pull hand over hand. I am pretty excited till I see that my "channel cat" is actually a 20 or 30lb hedge fish as in some butthead cut down their hedge and through it in the water... I am pretty impressed that my massive 4lb leader didn't break. I think about changing it but stupidly I don't want to take the time, now since intend to switch to my float rod in a few minutes. So I rebait and throw out again put the rod in the holder. I bet by now you all know where this going. YEP 4 steps away and the rod is twitching and throbbing (I leave to the reader to decide like what). As I pick up the rod I feel the line stop. Oops it's probably on the one rock out there and then I can feel something pulling but of course it snaps right above the swivel so I lose everything. I am not too upset as I was going to float fish now anyhow. So I set my bottom fishing rod down bait up the float rod (which has a spinning reel on it ) and let it rip. It was a nice cast too but the float is stationary. Which is funny because yesterday it was the right depth..... Anyhow after I reel in and shorten the line. I recast and see that the reason the float is almost stationary is there is no current for some reason. NO problem I think, this is exactly why I bring both rods all the time. All I have to do is rerig the bottom rod and get back at it.

Then I think what the heck why not leave the float out there and see what happens so I pop the rod in the holder and start rooting through my vest to get a sinker, swivel and pretied leader out. Once I have the stuff out I pick up the bottom rod and start tying. It is just light out now and this local about 50 to 60 yards away, who was totally ticked that I beat to the "spot" starts shaking his fist and yelling at me. I ask him what his problem is, he says he is calling the ministry because it is "ILLEGAL" to fish with two rods yadda, yadda yadda. I tell him to go ahead and call since I am only fishing with one rod. He yells some more and starts walking over finally gets close enough to see that yes in fact one rod has no hook on it and the other is a float rod with a spinning reel on it and it is in the holder but baited and in the water. He mumbles an apology and in the next breath says my putting a float rod in a holder is the stupidest thing he has ever seen , yadda yadda yadda. I say well it might just be stupid enough to work. He walks off in a huff.

Well about 3 minutes later I am done retying the bottom rod and look up to see the float rod just a bucking and thrashing. I pull it out of the holder and splash a nice pan sized 2lb male bow surfaces setting the hook himself. So my stupid idea turned out to be lucky when the fish set the hook itself.....

I just finished verifying how tasty fresh rainbow can be when they are that size which is why I would rather be stupid and lucky than good!!!!

P.S. I really must get a digi cam so I don't have to write these long stories for reports..... just snap a couple of pics....

Edited by Canuck2fan

Good report, and ya, being lucky is better some days. Thanks for taking the time, you really gave me a clear picture in my mind. I have to say I don't think I want to learn to fish for trout after all. Yours is by no means the only story I've heard where there are tonnes of people all vying for a spot to the point of being nasty...kinda takes away the fun and relaxation being in such a crowded spot...

Maureen