Lakers in Nipissing?

Slimeball

Hello,

I've heard conflicting answers as to whether there are Lake Trout in the Nipissing/Upper French watershed......can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Also, for those that live in the Temagami- Nipissing region, have you had any snowfall or rain this month?

Thanks,

Jay

To the best of my knowledge there are no reported instances of Lake trout being caught in Nipissing.

There are however a few documented reports of Chinook Salmon showing up there.

I could however be wrong, what say you Randy. :D

To the best of my knowledge there are no reported instances of Lake trout being caught in Nipissing.

I could however be wrong, what say you Randy. :D

Yep, every couple of years someone pulls a salmon out of there, but I've never heard of a laker.

No to lakers and about a 4lb salmon was indeeed caught a few yrs back, made the local paper.

Wayne, north of the bay little snow. south ie trout creek still 3 feet. north east ie redbridge 3 feet as well. and 24 to 30 inches of ice. gettin tiring drillin holes. lol

I could however be wrong, what say you Randy. biggrin.gif

I was staying in an on ice bungalow and a group pulled in a salmon. The story made it to the NB Nugget complete with picture.

Yep...

Vintage Dutrisac Cottages postcards show some Lakers caught in the Upper French back in the 60's... my Father-In-Law caught one by Franks Point in 1990 (Ice)..... my bud Tony a local school teacher caught one 3lbs or so off the Cache Bay dock 22 years ago on opening weekend I was there to see it... he was jumping around like a fool yelling ;

"Une Grise, Une Grise!!".( Tony not the trout).......

Atlantic Salmon are a native species in Nipissing according to the local Stewardship Council....... I posted a picture of a Member's dad catching one in downtown Sturgeon Falls 2 years ago... more than a few are caught every year .. mostly in the fall.

I also know that there are Specks in there (catch me if you can)

I've heard from tourists from Ohio that were staying at Chaudiere Lodge when I worked there.. that they witnessed Paddlefish spawning in Twilight Bay.... the lake is huge and there is really no telling what's in there.

Don't expect to come to Nipissing and catch a Laker , Chinny, Speck or Paddlefish.. ;)

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon