Trailer hitch draw bar help

Fisherpete

Well, I finally got my company car... a 2011 Ford Escape. Price was pretty good - free :) Ok I did have to pay for the trailer tow package, which to my dismay did not come with the draw bar. What kind of drop/rise should I have on the bar? 2"? 3"? I took a look at my other vehicle (2006 Jeep Liberty) and it looks like it has around a 2" drop on that one, but I think the Escape's rear end is higher. Is there any sort of measurement to take from the ground? If it matters, I will be towing my 16' Legend with it, and a box trailer from time to time. Thanks for any help.

whatever it takes to get the trailer level. so level your trailer with the jack, and take a measurement. take a similar measurement on the truck. the difference is the drop (or unlikely) rise you will need. it is fairly important to run you trailker level off the truck.

enjoy!

Pretty simple to figure out.

Set up your boat trailer level and back your truck up to it and figure out the amount of drop you need.

Pretty hard for us to tell you if we don't have exactly the same set up.

For my Honda Pilot and 18' Fishcer I needed a 2" drop to be level. ;)

PilotBoat.jpg

Thanks for the quick responses! I guess the ultimate goal is to have the trailer perfectly level when towing... makes sense, I just never had to deal with getting the bar before - all my previous tow vehicles already came with it. I just found this link:

How To Measure Safe Towing Height

For safe, comfortable towing, the trailer should be set up to tow on a level plane. Sometimes a trailer's tongue is higher or lower than the ball mount on the vehicle, and a ball mount rise or a drop is required to level the trailer.

1. Measure from the ground to the top of the trailer hitch opening on the tow vehicle.

2. Measure from the ground to the inside of where the ball fits into / top of the trailer coupler. Make sure the trailer is level.

3. Subtract the height of the hitch ball you are going to use from the trailer coupler measurement. The difference in the two measurements is the amount of ball mount rise or drop that is required on your tow vehicle.

I am guessing that 3" will probably be just about right.

Edited by Fisherpete

They are if you keep real quiet about it Gord. Although technically any private use is a taxable benefit based on % of use. CRA has a real nice formula to figure out the amount added to your T4. Still better than buyin one out of your own pocket.... and lettin the company worry about maintenance bills.