Simcoe Perch Fun

Homer Is King

On the first weekend of March break myself and two buddies took out families out for a "Kid's Perch Derby" on Lake Simcoe. In all there were 6 adults and 15 kids!

The weather forecast was doom and gloom all week and it scared off a couple of families. When the day hit it was beautiful and there was still lots of ice. We headed out from Sibbald Point Provincial Park. We drilled a test hole at about 17 FOW (2 feet of ice). We were marking fish so we set up. It didn't take too long for to get our first fish top side.

My Daughter landed "First Fish"

Taylor7-75SimcoeFish2Pic1.jpg

Taylor7-75SimcoeFish2Pic2.jpg

The fish continue but they were slow. We were marking lots on the Vex but you really had to work to get them to bite. We didn't catch anything on the still lines. We switched up minnows and worms as well as jigs and lures but nothing really help. The best producer was a single minnow, back hooked on a #4 red hook on a floro leader. The bite was so light that it barely registered on my UL. The Vex help me get most of my fish.

We didn't kill 'em but almost everyone caught fish. It total we iced about 20 fish. Biggest being 10-1/4". We had 2 wives and 4 kids catch their first hard water fish! My wife was one of them:

P3120215.jpg

We could have moved to increase our luck but we were not a very mobile group! Deeper water might have worked better.

One of the most exciting moments was when my boy hooked this on an UL. He thought he had a monster. So did most of the spectators. The drag was screaming as he keep reeling.

P3120230.jpg

Turns out he was hooked on the ice! LOL!

We kept a few of the bigger ones for a fish fry. We use a self imposed slot size. We only keep perch between 8" and 12". We had enough for a bite each!

P3120224.jpg

P3120227.jpg

P3120235-1.jpg

Here are a couple more fish:

Hannah7-5Fish1Pic1.jpg

P3120231.jpg

P3120218.jpg

All in all a great trip. The key to success was having lots of snacks and things for the kids to do and "beverages" for the wives!

I took my family out last weekend too. It's always fun seeing the kids catch fish.

Great post man!

Last weekend I helped my 3 year old nephew land his first ever fish. Great memories eh!