Finally got the stink off of me!

alphaalpha

Last year was my first time trying for lakers and whities on simcoe. I managed to get out about 5 or 6 times but with no electronics we found it extremely tough going and I am not surprised we didn't catch anything. This year I picked up a portable finder with high hopes of slaying them :whistling: Well needless to say that didn't exactly pan out. I got out on simcoe 6 times this year, two of which I spent in perch locations under the impression that bigger fish might be hiding in the area but sadly that's not how it seems to work.

So the first two "legitimate" attempts at whitefish and lakers for this year were a bust. Had a few follows and one bite to show for about 16hours total fishing time.

I still haven't figured out how to get the lakers to commit but yesterday afternoon my friend and I got onto some Whities. While I didn't land any last night, my friend landed one and lost one at the hole while I had one on and lost it half way up.

Here is a pic of him with his fish from last night:

010.jpg

Yesterdays outing just got me even more motivated to get out today for one last attempt before the end of the season. We started out walking from IBP out to 87' of water at sunrise. With only a couple risers there, we progressively moved in to more shallow waters. After four moves we settled in at 77' of water around noon. from noon til 5pm we landed 5 whitefish between us and lost at least 8-10 mid fight. All came on williams wobblers, one straight silver and one hammered half/half.

After my buddy got two to start things off I landed this guy and he peeled drag on me twice. Thinking it would probably be the big one I measured it for the tourney:

013.jpg

Well I was happily mistaken, about an hour later I get this one up and it barely fit through the hole. At 26.5" and weighing in 6lbs it was a brute and put up one hell of a fight:

014.jpg

As we already had 4 on the ice the biggun got to live another day and swam back down for someone else to enjoy.

It was great to finally catch my first whitie and on such a nice day. We didn't want to drive home in rush hour so we decided to fillet one up on the ice for a little fish fry dinner and man are they tastey!

017.jpg

Being my first time cleaning them I had a bit of trouble with the center line of bones, if anyone has any tips on cleaning them without just cutting through the bones and cutting them out after I would love to hear it.

It felt sooo good to ice my first whitie that now I can't wait to get out next year or maybe even in the summer to get my first laker!

A huge thanks to all that gave me tips for this style of fishing (before last year I had only ever ice fished with minnows for perch). And a big thanks to everyone that posted simcoe reports this year for sharing info and keeping me motivated to get out! :clapping:

Cheers,

AA.

Nice fish man! that definitely is a huge whitie, and a great addition to our team 9 tournament totals! I was worried we might not get a whitie on the board, I dont know if I can make it out in the summer to where they hang out, all I have is a 14' tinner!

I went out to Frenchmans bay today to try for a Pike, with no success, I had one on but he thew the hooks unfortunately, I am going to head out for Pike again tomorrow I think, I found some open water, and I miss chucking hardware!

Edited by daryl0815

nice going

I always make a mess of the fish trying to get rid of those bones

Heh ya they do seem quite challenging to clean without leaving bones. Hopefully next year I will get lots of practice :whistling:

saltydawg

Posted Today, 09:40 PM

nice job awesum fish !!!

Thanks! how are you feeling this week? Were you able to get out at all?

daryl0815

Posted Today, 09:22 PM

Nice fish man! that definitely is a huge whitie, and a great addition to our team 9 tournament totals! I was worried we might not get a whitie on the board, I dont know if I can make it out in the summer to where they hang out, all I have is a 14' tinner!

I went out to Frenchmans bay today to try for a Pike, with no success, I had one on but he thew the hooks unfortunately, I am going to head out for Pike again tomorrow I think, I found some open water, and I miss chucking hardware!

Thanks! I am happy to finally contribute as I didn't add much to my team last year. Good luck with the pike, no pressure though, we have lots of time for that. B)

Good going :Gonefishing:

You put in a lot of time and learned much along the way.

More good days will happen more often out there for you.

There is a big smile with that first whitie :thumbsup_anim:

And some cheers and huge high fives for the rest of the day! :w00t:

Congrats for sure. Nice shootin. Always nice to get that monkey off your back. There was a time when I just could not get anything right when fishing for lakers and whities on the hard water. Without electronics I would still be frustrated.

feeling much better. thanks. couldnt make it out last week or weekend./daughter wasnt feeling well last wkend.

your pics got me debating weather or not to go out 2moro??? probably will!

nice job !! nothing like fresh whitey!!thumbsup_anim.gif

hopefully we can get together again under better circumstances and go for them ??!!

maby i can help you get the hang of cleaning them.?

NICE JOB clapping.gif

PS i heard their pretty good in the summer(dont know first hand)

stay in touch..

congrats!!!

feeling much better. thanks. couldnt make it out last week or weekend./daughter wasnt feeling well last wkend.

your pics got me debating weather or not to go out 2moro??? probably will!

nice job !! nothing like fresh whitey!!thumbsup_anim.gif

hopefully we can get together again under better circumstances and go for them ??!!

maby i can help you get the hang of cleaning them.?

NICE JOB clapping.gif

PS i heard their pretty good in the summer(dont know first hand)

stay in touch..

congrats!!!

Glad to hear it! Good luck if you get out tomorrow, hopefully we will be reading a report from you tomorrow night! ;)

I will add ya to my friends list. hopefully we can get out in the summer.