teleflex baystar hydraulic steering

aplumma

I am looking at replacing my twin steering cables on a bass boat and the cost to upgrade to the hydraulic is not much more. Does anyone have this on their boat and would you recommend it? I am looking at the manual system that is not assisted by an electrical pump or runs off of the motor. Anyone who has this system any input positive or negative would be appreciated.

Thanks Art

Hi Art.

Just undertaking this on my glass boat.

We had enough parts and pieces sitting around so I gathered it all together.

Haven't started to install it yet. Going to wait for warmer weather in the spring.

I have used boats with it. My only complaint was it is a little slower than direct cable.

But the smoothness of it overcomes that minor detail.

Cool deal thanks all for the feedback. I have a 150 hp Ranger that the old cables are stiff. Since it is a double cable rack system and a Ranger it is going to be a real effort to pull and reinstall the cable system so I am looking at hydraulic the Teleflex Baystar system.A phone call to Teleflex tomorrow will confirm it is a doable setup. I am a little surprised that you found it a little mushy Bernie since hydraulic oil is non compressible but I guess the feeling is because of the pump design. Well worst case I will remove the rack and replace it with the rack with No Feed Back so it will only get better than 21 year old cables.

Art

What I like most about hydraulic steering is the fact that you no longer have to contend with steering torque. No matter what your speed is the steering remains very easy, even with one hand.

You'll be very happy with the upgrade Art.

I have the same problem Art with my 96 Nitro Savage. The Teleflex twin rack cables are getting stiff and have to be changed. If I'm not mistaken the replacement cables would be about 320.00 plus labour to change. I was told them old cables can be a real bugger to remove. My mechanic said the motor definitely has to come off the boat to give him more room to remove them and to avoid any accidental scratches etc to the motor. I was contemplating maybe going to hydraulic steering since I have lots of room inside the battery, gas tank area to store the extra equipment. I am not sure what hydraulic system to use or how much it will cost to switch over. Any suggestions on this would be awesome. The boat has a 175 EFI merc on it. I am asure there are some members who have already done this.Thanks

Got it now Bernie your are referring to the lock to lock ratio. Right now I have a 2.5 and the hydraulic is 4.5 turns.

FF as I get more info I will post it but keep in mind I am with a 150 hp at the max of the baystar series you will be looking at the seastar series due to your larger engine. The cost for that system is 3-500.00 more in parts. The hoses also are not adjustable you have to order them in the correct length.

Art