The Great Global Warming Swindle

Chris

Well ... based on the weather today, I think we may already have the problem licked in Toronto... I am gonna get my parka back out ....

Seriously though, if you have ever walked along a river bed and looked up at the 'clay-banks' you will see strata of inches or more separated by feet (so I am guessing at least thousands of years) and a few good really dark bands in there ... maybe meteors .. who knows ... But I figure the REAL concern for global weather (based on all the pockmarks you can see on every other heavenly body) is when the next meteor will hit and where .... or when the next Mt St Helen will happen .. thats much more likely to effect the weather me thinks .... and in a fast meaningful (not likely to be good) way

By the way ... if anyone wants to see Dinosaur tracks they are there all the way up the creek in my back yard :)

Edited by camillj

I saw this posted on the rogers site today. It contains some interesting opinions on the global warming debate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070407/ap_on_...MNejDlV5pNxieAA

Just in case the link doesn't work...

By CAIN BURDEAU, Associated Press Writer Sat Apr 7, 2:55 AM ET

NEW ORLEANS - A top hurricane forecaster called

Al Gore "a gross alarmist" Friday for making an Oscar-winning documentary about global warming.

ADVERTISEMENT

"He's one of these guys that preaches the end of the world type of things. I think he's doing a great disservice and he doesn't know what he's talking about," Dr. William Gray said in an interview with The Associated Press at the National Hurricane Conference in New Orleans, where he delivered the closing speech.

A spokeswoman said Gore was on a flight from Washington, D.C., to Nashville Friday; he did not immediately respond to Gray's comments.

Gray, an emeritus professor at the atmospheric science department at Colorado State University, has long railed against the theory that heat-trapping gases generated by human activity are causing the world to warm.

Over the past 24 years, Gray, 77, has become known as America's most reliable hurricane forecaster; recently, his mentee, Philip Klotzbach, has begun doing the bulk of the forecasting work.

Gray's statements came the same day the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change approved a report that concludes the world will face dire consequences to food and water supplies, along with increased flooding and other dramatic weather events, unless nations adapt to climate change.

Rather than global warming, Gray believes a recent uptick in strong hurricanes is part of a multi-decade trend of alternating busy and slow periods related to ocean circulation patterns. Contrary to mainstream thinking, Gray believes ocean temperatures are going to drop in the next five to 10 years.

Gore's documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," has helped fuel media attention on global warming.

Kerry Emanuel, an MIT professor who had feuded with Gray over global warming, said Gray has wrongly "dug (his) heels in" even though there is ample evidence that the world is getting hotter.

Oh man!! I can't beleive this thread is still going on!! Has anybody just heard about the 24+ hours spent discussing GW at a un summit? 2300-2500 scientists have done their homework and have informed the UN that GW is real, 30% of the worlds animals and fauna are looking at extinction with a 2degree increase. And we are talking by the year 2050. The GW has been proven hands down without a doubt now... The reason we are having this type of weather is a direct effect of GW. It will be causing alot more strange weather... So hold on... I know this debate and thread has been going on for awile , Im tired of it too... BUT they have (the UN) have come to the agreement GW is real and it is a serious problem. The fact that we keep talking about how crazy the weather is lately should be enough for us to realize that their is something behind all the talk on GW. Any how I am done.... THe only thing I can do now is update with links.. So to all in this debate..... Keep your parka, umbrella,sunscreen, hats, ice skates, skis, life jackets, fresh water, at the door that way you will be prepared for any day comming... lol

Oh man!! I can't beleive this thread is still going on!! Has anybody just heard about the 24+ hours spent discussing GW at a un summit? 2300-2500 scientists have done their homework and have informed the UN that GW is real, 30% of the worlds animals and fauna are looking at extinction with a 2degree increase. And we are talking by the year 2050. The GW has been proven hands down without a doubt now... The reason we are having this type of weather is a direct effect of GW. It will be causing alot more strange weather... So hold on... I know this debate and thread has been going on for awile , Im tired of it too... BUT they have (the UN) have come to the agreement GW is real and it is a serious problem. The fact that we keep talking about how crazy the weather is lately should be enough for us to realize that their is something behind all the talk on GW. Any how I am done.... THe only thing I can do now is update with links.. So to all in this debate..... Keep your parka, umbrella,sunscreen, hats, ice skates, skis, life jackets, fresh water, at the door that way you will be prepared for any day comming... lol

I disagree with every single statement you made in your above post.

The GW has been proven hands down without a doubt now...

Even the UN scientists are not as certain as you about the cause of global warming. I beleive the term they was was "Basically Certain", which translates to 90% certainty. Thus even the scientists who support the human cause of global warming have allowed for a 10% chance that they are wrong, or 10% of doubt that humans are the cause of global warming.

So, no, it has not been proven beyond a doubt. Debate is good, opposing view points should not be silenced. A majority opinion is not proof. It is important that all view points, not just the popular ones, are heard.

Pay attention to what I wrote. I said nothing about humans causing GW I said it has been proven without a doubt its happening.. And Jonaton its fine if you disaprove of what I said.... I mean its not a personal opinion its a fact by scientists from the last week. And Muskienlakers, I am from the big city... This is fact my friend.. GW is here, its happening and its fact take your head outta the sand. And AGAIN I NEVER SAID HUMANS ARE THE MAIN CAUSE... There are many reasons for it but we HUMANS have the ability to slow it down and maybe even stop it.

An international panel of climate scientists said yesterday that there is an overwhelming probability that human activities are warming the planet at a dangerous rate, with consequences that could soon take decades or centuries to reverse.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, made up of hundreds of scientists from 113 countries, said that based on new research over the last six years, it is 90 percent certain that human-generated greenhouse gases account for most of the global rise in temperatures over the past half-century.

Declaring that "warming of the climate system is unequivocal," the authors said in their "Summary for Policymakers" that even in the best-case scenario, temperatures are on track to cross a threshold to an unsustainable level. A rise of more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit above pre-industrial levels would cause global effects -- such as massive species extinctions and melting of ice sheets -- that could be irreversible within a human lifetime. Under the most conservative IPCC scenario, the increase will be 4.5 degrees by 2100.

MORE::::::

Sat Mar 31, 6:34 PM ET

From the micro to the macro, from plankton in the oceans to polar bears in the far north and seals in the far south, global warming has begun changing life on Earth, international scientists will report next Friday.

Changes in climate are now affecting physical and biological systems on every continent," says a draft obtained by The Associated Press of a report on warming's impacts, to be issued by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the authoritative U.N. network of 2,000 scientists and more than 100 governments.

In February the panel declared it "very likely" most global warming has been caused by manmade emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

Animal and plant life in the Arctic and Antarctic is undergoing substantial change, scientists say. Rising sea levels elsewhere are damaging coastal wetlands. Warmer waters are bleaching and killing coral reefs, pushing marine species toward the poles, reducing fish populations in African lakes, research finds.

"Hundreds of species have already changed their ranges, and ecosystems are being disrupted," said University of Michigan ecologist Rosina Bierbaum, former head of the U.S. IPCC delegation. "It is clear that a number of species are going to be lost."

The IPCC draft estimates that if temperatures rise approximately 2 to 4 degrees Fahrenheit more, one-third of species will be lost from their current range, either moved elsewhere or vanished.

UN to issue bleak global warming report

Global warming could cause more hunger in Africa and melt most Himalayan glaciers by the 2030s, according to a draft UN report due out on Friday.

The report will also warn that the poorest nations are likely to suffer most.

The UN climate panel, giving the most authoritative study on the regional impact of climate change since 2001, also predicts more heatwaves in countries such as the United States, and damage to coral including Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

"We are talking about a potentially catastrophic set of developments," said UN Environment Program head Achim Steiner.

"Even a half-metre rise in sea levels would have catastrophic effects in Bangladesh and some island states."

Scientists and officials from more than 100 countries meet in Belgium from Monday to review and approve a 21-page summary for policy-makers in the report amid disputes on some findings, including on how far rising temperatures may contribute to spreading disease.

Among the gloomy forecasts, the report predicts that glaciers in the Himalayas, the world's highest mountain range, will melt away, affecting hundreds of millions of people.

"If current warming rates are maintained, Himalayan glaciers could decay at very rapid rates, shrinking from the present 500,000 square kilometres to 100,000 square kilometres by 2030s," according to a draft technical summary.

And disruptions are likely to be felt hardest in poor nations, such as sub-Saharan Africa and Asia where millions more could go hungry because of damage to farming and water supplies.

But some nations will see some benefits, according to the draft by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) which draws on work by 2,500 scientists.

Global farm potential might increase with a rise of 3 degrees Celsius in temperatures, before sinking worldwide, it says.

Crops might grow better in nations far from the tropics such as Canada, Russia, New Zealand or Scandinavia.

This is NEW information. This is an ongoing thing and every day we are learning more about the affects of global warming. All the old youtube or old disputes are over and done with. This is what we know now about Global warming. With that being said.. there is no need to be stubborn or pretend GW isn't happening it's time to address this problem and do your part in making people aware and helping the environment recover.

Any how I am done.... THe only thing I can do now is update with links.. So to all in this debate..... Keep your parka, umbrella,sunscreen, hats, ice skates, skis, life jackets, fresh water, at the door that way you will be prepared for any day comming... lol

Look Jonaton....He said he was done. You stirred the pot again :lol: :lol:

I heard this week that Belgium is considering a Green Tax on BBQ's. You can count on everything we have that uses energy, being considered as fair play by our governments, as a means of revenue generation. The best part is, they will tell us it's for our own or the environments own good!

We can argue forever whether or not Global Warming is real, or not. One thing's guaranteed though, it's gonna cost us all where it hurts, in our pockets. Label it green, and they will pay! That's what this debate is really about, like it or not.

HH

Now your talking, where do we start, Oil, Gas, Transportation, 2 Cycle outboards, Furnaces, Refridgeration, Like you said Taxes just because. Hmm Manafacturing, Industry. You know what, when everybody starts taking the bus, Having only one vehical per family which is fuel efficient, Getting rid of their Gas drinking Toys, then I might do my part. Other wise shut up because you have no Idea on how much it will cost. And also are going to tell the poor nations that are trying to improve their economy not to use their own resources. One thing I hate are people that two faced. I call them weasels. Only the rich countries are gouing to pay for it sponging off the middleclass and poor. Can you imagine, furnaces went up in price because of Kyota, somthing to do with the compressor