Bass Pro Shop Fishing Rods?

Live2fish85

Hi I am just wondering if any one could give me some advice on choosing a crank bait rod for flipping. I have read some reviews on there site and they sound good but it's always nice to hear it from some one you know has used or tried them. Would I be better to get a combo and if so what are the best, or should I purchase the rod and reel separately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

i bought the carbonlite combo last spring 7 foot 6 inch 3 it broke about the 3 fish i caught. it snaped on a hook set about 6 inch from the handle. when i retured it the sales guy said that they have to much carbon in them witch makes them brittle so i bought a shimano. Still have the reel and its great

Word of caution when you buy the carbonlight. I brought one home and noticed there was as crack somewhere in the rod. You could not see it but if you dropped the rod about 6" vertically on its butt end you could hear something was not right. Also you can flick the rod with your finger hitting it with your nail about halfway up the blank and you could hear it was cracked somewhere. I returned it and tested a bunch off the rack and at 3 had the distinct cracked sound. So be carefull when you are picking one out. I dont think its the rods fault but you can imagine how many times each one is handled in the store. Did find one i was satisfied with and will ry it this spring on pike. 7' ML Casting model.

I also have a carbon-lite, great rod, very light and sensitive. There are usually some good deals on bps combos as well. I've used BPS rods and reels with great success. For the price they are hard to beat.

Hi I am just wondering if any one could give me some advice on choosing a crank bait rod for flipping. I have read some reviews on there site and they sound good but it's always nice to hear it from some one you know has used or tried them. Would I be better to get a combo and if so what are the best, or should I purchase the rod and reel separately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I wouldn't use a crank bait rod for flipping. Is there something I don't know? I have an extreme spinning rod and it's built very good and very sensitive. I've had it for 2yrs and I'm happy with it. I would recommend it for flipping. It's a 7' med. heavy action so I would say it's a bit heavier than the average rod IMO. Nothing wrong with having a bit of beef.

I wouldn't use a crank bait rod for flipping. Is there something I don't know? I have an extreme spinning rod and it's built very good and very sensitive. I've had it for 2yrs and I'm happy with it. I would recommend it for flipping. It's a 7' med. heavy action so I would say it's a bit heavier than the average rod IMO. Nothing wrong with having a bit of beef.

for crankbait rods people will generally use a moderate action with fiberglass to give the rod some extra give to prevent the trebles from pulling out.

You want the exact opposite in a flipping stick.

Heavy long, ext fast taper with tonnes of backbone to yank those largies out of the stumps. Longer the better for a flipping rod, a 7' MH XF would be a great pitching rod, a 7'6 Heavy would be a minumum for a flipping stick for me though.

i cant say anything about the carbonlite rods, other than they look like a great rod

but i have a 7' BPS Crankin Stick and a 6'6" BPS Graphite Series and love them both...they're both built very nicely and are very affordable

Thanks alot for the help I have decided I am going to wait for the Spring Classic and I am going to go with the St. Croix Trigger Rod it's 7'6 heavy. I have another St. Croix spinning rod for drop shot and another for Jigging, with it being on sale I will spend the money on the St. Croix but I am looking at the Carbon Lite reel that will be on sale then to its the baitcaster 10 bearing system I believe its 6 2 1 would that be fine for flippin, it's the bass pro shop carbon lite. I will be spooling it with 50 lbs braid anyone know if that reel will function properly with that line on it.

but I am looking at the Carbon Lite reel that will be on sale then to its the baitcaster 10 bearing system I believe its 6 2 1 would that be fine for flippin, it's the bass pro shop carbon lite. I will be spooling it with 50 lbs braid anyone know if that reel will function properly with that line on it.

just make sure what brand of braid you use matches to the rod and reel in mono diameter.

ive been looking at that carbonlite reel as well...or the pro qualifier...good price on those, plus the reel trade in is an extra $15 off i believe

50 pound PP might be a bit much, i have 30lb fireline on my flippin setup and it does the job

Thanks alot for the help I have decided I am going to wait for the Spring Classic and I am going to go with the St. Croix Trigger Rod it's 7'6 heavy. I have another St. Croix spinning rod for drop shot and another for Jigging, with it being on sale I will spend the money on the St. Croix but I am looking at the Carbon Lite reel that will be on sale then to its the baitcaster 10 bearing system I believe its 6 2 1 would that be fine for flippin, it's the bass pro shop carbon lite. I will be spooling it with 50 lbs braid anyone know if that reel will function properly with that line on it.

Head over to JB's fishing depot. I find that their prices are much better than BPS (IMO) on St. Croix rods.

J

I have a pro qualifier tournament and love it, I plan on picking up a couple more in the spring. Are you only going to be using this setup for flipping? You might what to look at a reel that you can engage and disengage with your thumb...just a thought.

Go with a Crucial (or St. Croix) Flippin stick and Curado 7:1 reel...can't go wrong. 7'6'' heavy, fast taper. IMO, the BPS sticks are good, but a little heavy if you're putting in big days.