Lowrance troubles

hawk-eye

Hi guys, I was out on simcoe this past weekend and was having some troubles with my Lowrance LMS 522c igps. I could see the bottom good a clear but I could not get anything on the screen past 40 feet down. Using this thing last year and also a couple of trips this year on the ice I had no problems and could see my little williams 1/2 and 1/2 clearly through the water collum all the way to the bottom. This time the sonar return was very week. Past 40 feet it would dissapear. Im used to seeing a nice solid green bar where the lure is haning. So frustrating out there without this thing working right.

Also a few hours into the day it started giving thin vertical lines which to looked like interferance from another sonar, but there was nobody else anywhere near us. I am suspecting that the transducer may be on the fritz, but I just really dont know. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are a couple screen shots I took near the end of the day.

Thanks

IMG_7335.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

Was any other equipment running in close proximity?

Not within a at least a mile. I know it really looks like interferance.

something else I forgot to tell ya, you know if you tap on the transducer or even make some noise on the ice nearby you get strong vertical lines, this thing was giving nothing I tapped on the ducer or stepped on the ice colse to it. I tried stomping on the ice and still would not have anything show up on the screen.

Edited by hawk-eye

Guest gbfisher

Not within a at least a mile. I know it really looks like interferance.

something else I forgot to tell ya, you know if you tap on the transducer or even make some noise on the ice nearby you get strong vertical lines, this thing was giving nothing I tapped on the ducer or stepped on the ice colse to it. I tried stomping on the ice and still would not have anything show up on the screen.

You need a new transducer. The crystal can dislodge or the cable can crack. If you find where the crack is you can splice it no problem. I have seen this happen many times and have always ended up with a new ducer. Even new units can have bad ducers.

hope this helps.

Yep, I'd say you need a new 'ducer too. I bought a brand new one for mine last year, and it didn't work, right out of the box! I seem to go thru one every couple years with the ice rigs, they take a beating.

S.

Yep, I'd say you need a new 'ducer too. I bought a brand new one for mine last year, and it didn't work, right out of the box! I seem to go thru one every couple years with the ice rigs, they take a beating.

S.

Sounds about right. This is kinda what i figured. The sled rides out and back can really beat them up. I gusse in the future Ill try to protect it a little better.

Thanks guys

Just a thought...

There can be some pretty strong under currents on Simcoe. I sometimes can't see my jig in 80ft of water at times. Often, I will mark a friends jig who is 20ft up current of me.

Yeah that had crossed my mind too but deffinatly not the problem, like I say if I tap on the ducer it dosent affect the display. Normally if you tap the ducer you would get alot of noise on the display.

Maybe you shouldn't be tapping that transducer :whistling: Just sayin......

S.

I hear what your sayin, Im not hitting it, little tap on the mount is more than enough to cause a disturbance on the screen. Im gettin nothin.

Yep... that first picture shows only 0.6volts left before that puppy shuts down!

I had lots of really weird things happen with my Lowrance...like lines similar to yours.. constantly having decending lines across the screen.. including the screen going totally black if you put it near the static of the tent or your hand. Wouldn't allow going beyond about 83% without going black as well. Figured it was the transducer and changed from transom to iceducer... same deal.. no change. Worked around it and kept using it for the last 2 years. Have a different set of batteries in it right now... worked like a charm the last 5 days..with none of the old issues.

Edited by irishfield

We've broken too much stuff leaving it in our sleds/huts and pounding the hard ice surface.. we now all ride with our finders strapped down on the passenger seat or a mount elsewhere on the snowmobile. Worth the work to make something up when you consider the costs of replacement parts.

Could still be the battery ... if you charged it ... (even if you didnt it kinda charges itself a wee bit ... I'd suggest investing the $30 bucks on a spare (and bringing it along for the trip ... especially if as you say it worked fine for 5 hrs before going wonky ... just saying ...

I always bring two so that one can stay on the charger they day I am out with the other ...

Edited by camillj

I am very happy with Lowrance. This issue was my fault for letting the unit ride in the sled on the way out.

Lesson learnd.

I did however have a LMS 522 fail on me. Was out on the water and it just shut down and would not come back on. I went to the Lowrance shop in Mississauga with it and they gave me a new one.....no recipt no questions nothing. The unit they gave me is the one I am using today 3 years later.

Good unit, good coustomer service.