what size battery to buy for trolling motor

skinny

After reading the thread about what brand of battery it reminded me I should pick up a new one. Now the trolling motor I curently have is a 35lb thrust (I think). I have plans to replace it to some time this summer. But I have always had isuues with the batery I use going flat. I bought i deep cycle Nataulis from CTC last year and it is better but I can still kill it. I'm now pushing a 16ft starceaft tinner with the trolling motor. I have at least one event this year that will be all day on the trolling motor. I do not want to run out of battery part way through the fish a thon. I also want to stop carrying extra batteries just incase.

so how do I know what size of battery to buy to hopefully solve this issue

Skinny your TM is to small for your boat so it will take a lot of juice to run it if your CTC battery is 1 year old take it in and have it tested if it is OK and your still killing it your gonna have to upgrade the TM I have had a 40lb on a 14' and it was not enough I would go with a 55lb on a 16' atleast but you will get days worth of use with a 24v 65lb TM it will be a bit more $$$ but it will save you a tonne of hassle if thats not in the cards get the strongest battery you can afford look at Roys link from the other thread.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

What group size battery are you using now.....24, 27, 29 or 31...I would recommend at least a Group 27 size battery. I have one in my boat and my old trolling motor was a 28# thrust....got me through everyday and sometimes through a weekend but I don't have it on constantly. I now have a 40# thrust TM also with a 27 Group size battery and never have a battery problem. But if you are constantly on the TM maybe upgrade to a 29 or 31 battery...but they are BIGGER and HEAVIER.

Bob

Definately go with a group 27 or larger.

I have an 80# 24V unit running on 2 group 27's.

Almost forgot, I have had good luck with the CT Nautilus batteries.

My last set lasted 6 years.

Just remember to recharge at the end of the day.

Leaving a battery 1/2 charged is a sure fire way to decrease it's life.

Edited by DRIFTER_016