How to Own a Rifle?

sneak_e_pete

You need to get your PAL (Possession, Aquisition License)

You will need to do the course which can be done over a weekend usually.

Just go to your local gun shop or shooting range tThey will more then likely have all the information you need to get enrolled.

After your done there is a waiting period before you get your license...I beleive its 21 days before they proccess the license but don't quote me on that. In any case it'll be a couple of weeks.

Then you're good to purchase your Rifle.

But before you can get your hunting license you need to do the Hunter Saftey course.

That will take up two weekends of your time, but more then likely will be offered at the same location you complete the PAL course.

Once you pass, you can apply for your hunter version outdoors card and you're on your way.

Not sure what it costs these days but I think I spent $150 on the PAl course and $200 on the Hunter Safety course.

cheers,

Edited by Cookslav

You can do the one stop course over the wk-end $295 for the firearm and the hunting, friday night 5-10pm, sat 8-5, sunday was 1/2 day training then test I was home by 2pm. I think bass pro does it fairly often.

took me at least couple mths to get my license.

dont forget you need a picture for your paper work, got mine at zehrs.

I would suggest that you take a season and go out hunting as a guest not a hunter to see if you will actually like to hunt. I live in the north were hunting is big and every year is see the same thing. Guy's take the course by a new guy get it all set up by all there gear they get into the 1000's with all this stuff. Go out for the hunt and realize that its not for them.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all and if you believe that you will enjoy this sport then go for it and have fun and be safe

I'm just putting it out there

Hi there, I have always wanted to get into hunting deer and have decided that I may now take the leap. I do not own any guns and the research I have done is really confusing. What is the process I need to go through in order to legally own a rifle? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, if you really want to take up deer hunting, there ar a lot more questions that need to be answered.

Where do you intend to hunt? Some areas you can't use a rifle. If you are going to hunt in tight cover a shot gun might be a better choice and a cross bow would be much easier to get than a gun (no permit required)

If you are going deer hunting do you intend to hunt from a ground blind, tree stand, or stalk them? Again, your style of hunting will dictate what the best choice would be.

I think a bit more research might be in order before you go off getting a rifle.

I wish you the best and hope you follow through with you dream of becoming a hunter. Our ranks have dwindled over the years and we need as many new comers as possible to keep this tradition alive and well.

From what I see you have a few hoops to jump through but don't let that discourage you. In NYS new comers also have to take a hunting safety course but it's free and available all through the state and we don't have a PAL requirement for shotguns or rifles so it's easier to get started.

As Cliff and others here suggested more info on where you intend to hunt will dictate the best gun for you....Rifles are almost always your best choice if they are allowed in your hunting area....a good used one with quality optics is a great start....also a .22 rim fire is the best way to learn how to shoot because of no recoil and CHEAP ammo.

Once you have everything you need to hunt with the best advice I could give you is KNOW HOW TO SHOOT YOUR GUN....practice as much as possible before the season and know YOUR limitations using that gun. You will only get ONE shot at a standing whitetail before you only see a white(tail) waving good bye...all other shots after the first one is to maybe anchor the deer after it gets back up...if you can't hit the animal while it's standing still you surely aren't going to hit it when it's running.

BTW.....the meat is fantastic and can't be bought.

Bob