Fishing Guide Job Posted

pooch

Just thought someone here may be interested in a job like this. About 20 years ago and 3 less children and I might have :-)

ELK ISLAND LODGE, a fly-in lodge in Northern MB, is looking for exp'd servers/housekeepers & exp'd fishing guides. Please call Greg at 775-9070

As originally published in the Winnipeg Free Press (ad #9133327)

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/11958200?&OMAlert=Y

I did it when I was young and single. The pay's usually great, as are the tips.

Always came home with a wad of cash at the end of the summer.

On a side note, if you have a particular lodge in mind send them a resume. You don't have to wait for non existant job postings.

Most lodges are always hiring.

On a side note, if you have a particular lodge in mind send them a resume. You don't have to wait for non existant job postings.

Most lodges are always hiring.

I would,but then again,I would still be whining that Im working 7 days a week,but atleast I would be fishing. :good:

Thanks for posting .Might help someone out.

Edited by Misfish

"Fishing for a living" and "taking people fishing" are two TOTALLY different things!

I've been a guide on Quinte for the past year and a bit, and as much as I enjoy it, it's really a lot rougher than most people think!

Super early mornings, very long days, lots of prep (scouting, studying maps, etc), lots of setup (rods/reels/baits/planer boards, etc), lots of time away from your family, expensive to run (insurance, gas, tackle, bait, rods, reels, boat payments, truck payments, hotels, etc). Not to mention the PRESSURE to catch fish that's on you when people are forking over a few hundred bucks per day to come catch fish!

Do you have any idea how HARD it is to sit back and watch people catch MONSTER fish all day long, and NEVER get to reel one in?? Sure you're out on the water, but your not "fishing". That's a lot harder to deal with than most people think! This past fall, I had 14 fish come in my boat that would have beat my personal best...and I didn't land a single one of them!

Don't get me wrong, it's a heck of a lot better than a lot of jobs out there, but it's not think walk in the park that people think it is!

"Fishing for a living" and "taking people fishing" are two TOTALLY different things!

I've been a guide on Quinte for the past year and a bit, and as much as I enjoy it, it's really a lot rougher than most people think!

Super early mornings, very long days, lots of prep (scouting, studying maps, etc), lots of setup (rods/reels/baits/planer boards, etc), lots of time away from your family, expensive to run (insurance, gas, tackle, bait, rods, reels, boat payments, truck payments, hotels, etc). Not to mention the PRESSURE to catch fish that's on you when people are forking over a few hundred bucks per day to come catch fish!

Do you have any idea how HARD it is to sit back and watch people catch MONSTER fish all day long, and NEVER get to reel one in?? Sure you're out on the water, but your not "fishing". That's a lot harder to deal with than most people think! This past fall, I had 14 fish come in my boat that would have beat my personal best...and I didn't land a single one of them!

Don't get me wrong, it's a heck of a lot better than a lot of jobs out there, but it's not think walk in the park that people think it is!

Yeah it's hard, no doubt about that.

I think you may be in the wrong line of work though. :whistling:

For a single guy 18-21 with no idea of what he wants to do in life, I think this would be a very cool job....on the water every day, and taking the little money you earn and spending it on beer and the owners daughters... However, doing such a job for a living, and having to pay bills, feed the kids, and heat the house, it might get to be a pain in the butt since so much time is invested being on the water and the pressure of satisfying your clients desire to catch not only fish, but land a fish of a lifetime....

I'd think you'd lose the thrill of seeking out fish and catching them yourself after a while, and perhaps resent going fishing altogether in the end.

For a single guy 18-21 with no idea of what he wants to do in life, I think this would be a very cool job....on the water every day, and taking the little money you earn and spending it on beer and the owners daughters... However, doing such a job for a living, and having to pay bills, feed the kids, and heat the house, it might get to be a pain in the butt since so much time is invested being on the water and the pressure of satisfying your clients desire to catch not only fish, but land a fish of a lifetime....

I'd think you'd lose the thrill of seeking out fish and catching them yourself after a while, and perhaps resent going fishing altogether in the end.

Working as a guide in southern ON is a far cry from working at a lodge during the open water season. Two totally different things.

Working as a guide is a GREAT summer job...for a student, or a young unemployed fish bum like I was. :)

I would never consider working at anything besides a high end fly in lodge.

First off your pay is usually deposited directly into your bank account, so you're not spending any of it.

Second the tips at that calibre of lodge are huge..IF you're up to the task and not just a glorified boat handler.

Third, working at that type of lodge allows an avid young kid an experience he'd otherwise never be able to afford.

If you're going to do it, think big. Great Bear lakers, Labrador brookies, whatever.

And I love ever min of it.... that's what it's all about...... I'll be goin into my 3 year of guiding.

Edited by thebigcatch

Working as a guide in southern ON is a far cry from working at a lodge during the open water season. Two totally different things.

Working as a guide is a GREAT summer job...for a student, or a young unemployed fish bum like I was. :)

I would never consider working at anything besides a high end fly in lodge.

First off your pay is usually deposited directly into your bank account, so you're not spending any of it.

Second the tips at that calibre of lodge are huge..IF you're up to the task and not just a glorified boat handler.

Third, working at that type of lodge allows an avid young kid an experience he'd otherwise never be able to afford.

If you're going to do it, think big. Great Bear lakers, Labrador brookies, whatever.

I agree with that, your clientele would more than likely be wealthy Americans and Canadians, and tip quite nicely.

Any hot chicks up at these lodges?

I used to have such a job on Nipissing...about 20 years ago for a few seasons..500$/ week from my employer , I was disappointed with 700USD $ in tips every Saturday when the guests left.. I got a 2500.00$ tip and all expenses paid trip to Hong Kong.. Got to go fishing on days off and be a GUEST ... drink beer and sit by the campfire.

Although the work can be hard and there's some :asshat: s you have to deal with out there, it was well worth it and an experience I'll never forget.

If I were 17 again I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over.

As for hot chicks , some of the kitchen staff turned out to be pretty hot.

I got roses on my piano , quite a few times.

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I used to have such a job on Nipissing...about 20 years ago for a few seasons..500$/ week from my employer , I was disappointed with 700USD $ in tips every Saturday when the guests left.. I got a 2500.00$ tip and all expenses paid trip to Hong Kong.. Got to go fishing on days off and be a GUEST ... drink beer and sit by the campfire.

Although the work can be hard and there's some :asshat: s you have to deal with out there, it was well worth it and an experience I'll never forget.

If I were 17 again I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over.

As for hot chicks , some of the kitchen staff turned out to be pretty hot.

I got roses on my piano , quite a few times.

Randy

:canadian:

:w00t:

Didn't work as a guide but spent a summer near Englehart as a junior forest ranger. Worked hard maybe 6 hours a day, black fly bites everywhere, cold showers but it was one of the best summers I had. Camp right on a lake, got to "meet" the local girls, worked with a conservation officer for 2 days and spent the rest of the time getting tanned, fishing on the lake, growing my hair and enjoying nature. I loved it.

Bill