Insulation/Roofing help

ColdH20guy

Hi guys..I was wondering if anyone had a contact for some insulation/minor ice dam help...

this is part of of an email that I sent out to a couple places

thanks guys ( we are between Orillia and Midland )

The attic has blown in pink insulation but we have a couple of spots where we get ice dam build ups over the kitchen area in the winter. My wife crawled up there last fall and had a look ( I was a bit too big!) and there appeared to be the styrofoam soffit vents in place as well as insulation. I'm not sure if some insualtion has blown over into the soffitt area itself towards the outside. The dam seems to have reappeared this winter and I am not sure why. When you look at the roof from the side you can sometimes see a 'strip' down to the shingles in a couple spots up to the peak of the roof; I'm guessing some obvious heat loss hence the circulation/ice dam issue. We do have 3 whirlybirds on the roof but they are on the other side of the roof.The previous owners did re-do the roof a few years ago and installed 2-3 layers of ice shield so we have no leakage problems but obviously something is going on...there are icicles on the roof now.

Anyway, not sure if its something that an insulation company could advise about or if I need to go to a roofing company..

any help or thoughts app

Is there any kind of exhaust vent on the roof near the melt.Is The insulation directy below the melt in good shape.Is the thickness of the insulation the same as surounding areas.Does the insulation cover the beams in the ceiling.Is there an opening or crack in the ceiling close to the melt.Is there a heat source directly below the melt, or a lite in the attic that may stay on,heating the roof from the inside.

If the insulation is in good condittion, i cant see how it could be happening.Could be just heat building up while cooking, that passes through the insulation in the kitchen seiling.Try adding some fiberglass on top of the blown insulation, over the kithchen area.4" should do it

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys..I was wondering if anyone had a contact for some insulation/minor ice dam help...

this is part of of an email that I sent out to a couple places

thanks guys ( we are between Orillia and Midland )

The attic has blown in pink insulation but we have a couple of spots where we get ice dam build ups over the kitchen area in the winter. My wife crawled up there last fall and had a look ( I was a bit too big!) and there appeared to be the styrofoam soffit vents in place as well as insulation. I'm not sure if some insualtion has blown over into the soffitt area itself towards the outside. The dam seems to have reappeared this winter and I am not sure why. When you look at the roof from the side you can sometimes see a 'strip' down to the shingles in a couple spots up to the peak of the roof; I'm guessing some obvious heat loss hence the circulation/ice dam issue. We do have 3 whirlybirds on the roof but they are on the other side of the roof.The previous owners did re-do the roof a few years ago and installed 2-3 layers of ice shield so we have no leakage problems but obviously something is going on...there are icicles on the roof now.

Anyway, not sure if its something that an insulation company could advise about or if I need to go to a roofing company..

any help or thoughts app

sounds like your kitchen is getting to hot .ventaltion is the first thing i would look at.any condensation taking place?cieling/windows/does the roof defrost first over the kitchen? (or close by) might want to look at cold air exchange in your house close to you kitchen if it exist. if not vent through the roof using an insulated duct and proper roof cap. hope this helps shed some lite on your problem.