Garmin or Magellan??

danc

I'm looking to buy a high end GPS soon. I'm looking for a handhelp with mapping capabilities. I've done my homework on line, but mostly from the manufacturers web sites. So I'm looking for some unbiased opinions here. Garmin and Magellan seem to be the most popular brands. Specifically I'm want to know about mapping software. What do you guys have? What should I be looking for? Money is no object. :whistling: Seriously, whats the best bang for my buck??

Well - I know in the past that Megellan has gotten a bad rap on here, but I have had the Maridian Marine with the Trent - Severn waterway chip , for years with trouble free service. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it, or buy it again.

Don

I have a Magellan Explorist 500. I like it a lot.

The most up-to-date street turn-by-turn map software was expensive, about $200. I did have some difficulty in dealing with Customer Service, but after my issues were resolved I like the unit. It has a lot of features and I got a steal at 55% off at CTC.

I have not yet purchased the Eastern Lake Ontario map yet, waiting for the softwater season, but if it is good as the road mapping software I will be a happy camper.

Dan - i currently have the Garmin E-trex Legend Cx very nice unit, lots of memory, but small screen - its uits me very fine for now for what i need it for

I think two of the better hand-held units out there right now for mapping are the Garmin Map 76cx (?) or Lowrance's new one ( i foget the model) both seem very comparablem, large screens, ect....

before you make a purchase take into account the available map software/chips & see what would suit you best, - though i guess nearly all your fishing is within one/two regions, that would be a little easier for you as opposed to us southern ontario folks who's fishing trips may take them to different " map regions".

Dan ... I know you didnt ask .. but I gotta tell ..... the Lowrance (H20c) when combined with the mapcreate 6 cd topo maps of all of Canada (and the 2 gig SD card) is by far the best unit I could have bought ... the topo maps are perfect and unbelievably accurate ... even the smallest trickle of a farmers drainage ditch shows up and the portability, waterproof .... blah blah .... take a realllly hard look at this before going to the other two ....wouldnt trade it for anything..... ok maybe for your boat and a few 5 lb specks :)

I used to believe in Garmin all the way.... I own a Garmin E-map and have had it for about 5 years now....

Went to use it last Nov. for the deer hunt and after turning it on I noticed that the screen was still blank... It was working but the screen was screwed... While I was at the spring fishing show I talked to the Rep from Garmin, he basically told me I was S.O.L.... :( Not worth fixing??? I was like What the heck?? I paid 500+ dollars for the thing...and now your saying that the company won`t even look at it??? Then he procceded to try and sell me another one, not a chance.... I haven`t tried getting ahold of the company directly but I will... So if you go with Garmin BEWARE>>>

my .02

Doug

I have heard a lot of great things about the Garmin GPSMap 760cx/csx. Heard a guy getting a signal in his basement! never mind forest canopy lol.

I have heard less good things about the lowrance units (Look at price...you get what you pay for)

Tony

I think that the Garmin 76CSX is tops. A compass sensor, expandable memory, large colour screen, submersible, floats.

Put a 1 GB micro sd card, and you can hold the topo map of Canada at 1:50,000. You still need to buy (or borrow) the map, but the map is incredible. You can try out the map at http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topoCanada.jsp. There is a link in the upper right part of the page that loads an applet that lets you pan and zoom all over the place. Compare it to Google Maps, and it's bang on, but with elevation data added, and much higher resolution in remote places. I like the idea of a road map of Canada, everything, on this little handheld gizmo.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either the Lowrance or the Garmin, but I bought the Garmin. GPSCity out of Calgary has the best prices, no PST. Check them out for either receiver.

Hi Motorhead, give Garmin customer service a call. Most units have a flat rate repair charge. I had a very good experience when I broke my eTrex Legend - clearly not under warranty and my fault but they fixed it - no charge. Very happy with all the Garmin units I have owned.

I'm using the Garmin 60CSX and it quite the machine. Works just about anywhere and small enough to fit in your shirt pocket. It has the ability to expand the memory and the colour screen are big +'s.

Check it out and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike

Places to buy GPS,

Seems these are some of the better prices I have found, have not used either but have heard great things,

http://www.radioworld.ca/

http://www.gpscentral.ca/

Good luck on your purchase

I have a Garmin Ledgend, year old now, lower of the line model, my biggest problem is that it does not have any extended memory, only the 8mb internal and I don't find this is enough, couple downloaded maps and it fills up real quick

Thanks a bunch for the input guys. There's a whole lot to consider and I'll take all of your advice when it comes time to buy. I may be going on strike on May 1st., but barring that I'm good to go.

I never purchased a magellan, however, I had an e trex legend until it was stolen with all of my ice fishing equipment this winter (2 months old). So, naturally I upgraded and went with Garmin's 76 CX. I purchased it at Reeds outdoors on sale for $420 plus I received a free carrying case. I also purchased Topo Canada software and I've already have the lake I'm going to downloaded to it. I don't have a lot of experience using it but am looking forward to this year's fishing trips as this unit is very easy to navigate and its very easy to read.

Good luck fishing,

Postman