First time for everything.......

limeyangler

Hi all,

Called OldMan last minute last night seeing if he wanted to go for a couple hours Laker fishing today...YUP...lol...he did.

We discussed the potential slush situation, given he'd been out on a small trout lake and almost got stuck a couple days before, and the slush in front of my house has been knee deep all week.

The temps have been an average of 0 degrees C for the past week...so things are pretty liquid out there given all the snow we've had this year.

Anyhoo, the plan was that despite being a heavy old beast of a triple more suited to groomed trails, we would take only my snowmobile and the Equinox sled instead of the otter flip up to cut down on weight, so we could just power through the slush.

Slush was horrendous as anticipated(a little worse in fact) but with some hard packed snow right off the landing terminal velocity was achived and we smashed through on the way out.

Getting back was another story. despite Gord saying he'd walk the sleigh to the hard packed snow some 20 meters away, i convinced him (wrongly) that we should just pin the throttle and go.

BAD IDEA

We could not get any speed up from the start with both of us on there and got all of 10 meters before we were stuck. We pushed and pulled and shovelled and were out in 10 minutes or so....but...i would have been screwed if i was by myself. Even worse i ended up flat on my arse in 12" of ice cold water....TWICE....ok when its as mild as it was...but this happening in -20 would be no laughing matter if i was solo and on a remote lake.....TODAY I LEARNED TO RESPECT SLUSH....was not nearly as bad as it could have been but an eye opener to what could be.

GORD...YOU DA MAN!....sorry for convincing you i could get us through when you have way more experience in these areas...i'll shut the ^&%^ up and listen next time....lol.

Anyway....twas not a picture taking day, but we did get some trout for our efforts...nothing big...in fact i got one that was not much bigger than 6" and another around 10"...good sign for the lake....and they both swam away happy as i slowed down the reeling up when i realized they were small so i did not blow their swim bladders out their rear ends!

We kept a couple of 19-22" fish for eats......50' FOW....trout coming in when the baitfish showed...which was rare...spent most of the 2 hours staring at the blank screen of my X67c.

Edited by limeyangler

Yup, Simon had his own polar bear plunge today. He even got his pink gloves wet. :lol: My boots are still drying out. Still had a good time though. Simon caught the trout, I couldn't seem to set a hook today.:(

Edited by Old Man

I hear you on the slush, was guiding on some sunset country trout lakes myself this weekend, it was nuts! Sled travel was tough even for the tundras and you were standing in slop all day, sometimes over boots. The rain made a nice touch to soak any part of you that wasn't drenched already.

Fishing was good though!

Unfortunately it's the outcome of the timing of freeze up and the amount of snow we've had. I've seen some bad years for slush, but none that I can remember as bad as this. It makes a person think twice before heading out to some more remote spots. Thank god I've hit most of my favorite remote locations already this year. If anyone is still think of heading out very far around here, I'd highly recommend travelling very lightly and fast. :lol:

Edited by Old Man

We ran into some brutal slush in Loring on Saturday.... luckily the weather is warm enough that the us and sleds didn't freeze solid....same for you!

Anyone out here who's had their sleds on a lake this past 2 weeks needs to get them into a heated garage to melt all the ice out of the suspension. I did mine last week and it already needs it again.

Edited by Old Man