Perch, Walleye, Ling and Hering

Rod Caster

Jim Jigger (member but not active yet) and I drove out to the ice shack today at around 2pm. The snow was deep, the ride was bumpy but the Mazda managed to make it there in one piece.

From the moment we dropped our lines the perch were bitting. I kept about 20 of them and caught over 100 between the two of us.

At one point I reeled in my minnow line because the action was TOO furious...so I jigged the rest of the time.

Jigging with a 4inch silver spoon, I hooked into a huge fish. I was sure it was a BIG walleye, but as it showed it's ugly mug at the hole I realized I had the biggest Ling I've caught up to date. It took some tact and patience to squeeze it through the hole...what a catchGonefishing.gif She easily swam back down the hole.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

I don't have a depth finder but I'm well aware of suspending fish. Once in a while I'll reel up half way and jig the mid range depths. This herring hit as soon as my lure reached 12ft.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Two biggest perch of the day..maybe 10 or 11 inches

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Little walleye

IMG_0046.jpg

Bigger walleye...both under the slot size so they go in the freezer.

IMG_0049.jpg

All in all a fantastic day and weekend of fishing. I'm satisfied until next weekend.

Thanks for letting me fish so much GF!!

No way I would have thrown that ling back! They're super yummy. smile.gif

I considered keeping it but the GF already complained about the smell of fish in the condo from the last 40 perch I cleaned. haha

Also, I still have some ling in the freezer I need to eat yet, i don't want to have it sit in the freezer too long.

haha i am an idiot, went to reply and reposted oh well its my first day. Wicked day but next time well take the Dodge.

That thing will be a bucket of bolts by the time it reaches the shack!. sarcasm.gif I'm going out sometime after work this week, I'll keep you posted.

Wow...that ling is nice. That herring wasn't messing around either...i spend ages trying to get them to hit sometimes...going right down to mini tubes....that thing it is not a spoon....LOOKS MORE LIKE A LADLE....lol.

Great report RC...gotta love when the bite is on

It's nice when you find one lure that catches everything...even the ling hit the spoon and I've never seen that before.

By the way...I think the first Herring photo is actually the one from the G2G...oops. haha green sweater..black sweater

Edited by Rod Caster