19 members have voted

1. 1. What would best suite my boat?

• Maxxum 55 (12 volts)
    • Maxxum 70 (24 volts)
    • Edge 55 (12 volts)
    • Edge 70 (24 volts)
    • Power Drive V2
  2. 2. Shaft lenght?

I know its only February, but I have started my search for the ideal bow-mount electric.

I'm set on going with Minn Kota, and I've allready crossed out the Power Drive due to many negative comments on them, but there are still many choices so I though I'd create a poll to see what others with more experience have to say.

I will be putting it on my 16' Lund Tiller w/ 30HP Honda....

Edited by LucG

"they" always say go with the biggest you can afford. the 70lb thrust and "they" are probably right.

however, I will say that the 12v 55lb PowerDrive 2 on my 15' mirrocraft 40hp tiller motors it along just fine with good battery life -- and I only have have one battery to worry about charging and taking up space on the boat.

Edited by Raf

What type of fishing do you do most?

I like the powerdrives. I don't fish bass at all though.

I like to sit at my seat at the tiller, turn on the bowmount, get my speed just perfect, and steer with the tiller of my big motor. If I want to use it to position the boat for a drift, or to cast for musky, I don't even have to get off my ass to do it. Everything is right at my feet. The key thing for me with the powerdrives is I can just turn it on, and go. I don't have to keep my foot on the pedal all the time. That wears me out after a day of fishing.

The only problem with the powerdrives is the food pedal, and there are lots of ways around it. I just keep a spare handy. In 4 seasons, I've replaced mine once.

S.

Cable or electric steer? The Edge is a cheaper version of the Maxxum, v2 is a cheaper version of the Terrova.

One battery or two? Do you have room for two?

Personally, for your boat I'd recomend a 12v 55# Terrova, with a 54" shaft.

If you have room for two batteries you won't regret the 80. I fished in a 14' Lund SSV tiller for a few days and it had a 55lb powerdrive and it didn't move the boat around that well. 80 is much more suited for you IMO.

If you have room for two batteries you won't regret the 80. I fished in a 14' Lund SSV tiller for a few days and it had a 55lb powerdrive and it didn't move the boat around that well. 80 is much more suited for you IMO.

I agree, I'm in the midst of upgrading from a 12v 55# to a 24v 80#, though my boats a bit heavier...

I have a 16' Glass Bass Boat and put an 80# on it. On those rough windy days you'll appreciate having the extra power. Also went with a 52" shaft for those rough days when the old motor kept popping out every other wave. Might be overkill but more is better than less :)

I went from a PD55 to a Terrova 80 w iPilot

Biggest benefit was far more fishing on windy days. I have found there are many more very windy days the last couple of years and the Terrova 80 w iPilot has been incredible. I can fish and hold on spots that where impossible before.

I have a 12V Edge with a 52 inch shaft but it's only 40 lbs of thrust and it moves my 16'-4" 84" beam that's 39" deep with a 50hp Johnson all day long without any problems....before this I had a 28 lb thrust with a 48 inch shaft that lasted 22 years without fail....

If you go to a 24 volt system things start to get expensive but if you have the room and money go for it.....either way get a good ON-BOARD charger to fully charge and maintain your battery(s)....I have this one (ProSport II 12) and it's GREAT....only time it's not plugged in is when I'm fishing.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/AutoBoat-Batteries-Chargers/On-Board-Chargers-Inverters%7C/pc/104794380/c/104698080/sc/104465880/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-ProSport-II-On-Board-Marine-Battery-Chargers/734150.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/boating-auto-boat-batteries-chargers-on-board-chargers-inverters/_/N-1100565/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104698080&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104794380;cat104698080;cat104465880

Consider where you fish and how much running you do. Boat speed might be negatively affected by the extra weight of a second battery if you go with the 70#. If you're not dragging your boat through shallow water all day, the 55# should do the job. If you don't mind losing a little speed for better TM performance, add a second battery and go with a bigger TM. Good point on the charging of the batteries...it'll be a pain to have to remove both batteries for charging at the end of each day. Either way, I'd go Maxuum over the Edge for better speed control. For the length, you know where you fish. If it's important to have a lot of motor in the water, then go with the longer shaft.

I run my 55lb powerdrive off two batteries. It will go for a long, long time if your just positioning the boat. I can troll non stop for about 7 hours at 1.6mph in any wind. I usually have my limit by then, so its been good so far :) At full power, with a moderate wind, it will move my boat almost 3mph. I have a deep and wide 16ft starcraft.

S.