Would you do anything different?

verno

Here's the deal. I have been trying to score this property since last year. I have seen turkeys on it almost every time I drive by. The name of the farm is the same as one of my Sgts at work, so I got asking him about it and he told me the farm is run by his cousin, and tells me where he lives and when to find him home.

So I go up the other day and knock on the door. Ask permission to hunt and get turned down. He said they dont let anyone hunt the property. I never mentioned the Sgt because he didnt say either way if I could use his name or not, and I didnt mention the fact that his cousin told me that people hunt deer in there. When I got turned down, I just asked about the creek at the south end of the property and if I could fish the steelhead runs come spring, and he told me sure. I thanked him for his time and left.

So I figure, the next time I speak to the Sgt I will mention that I got turned down if it comes up in the conversation, otherwise I wont mention it. And I figure if I take some nice chrome steelies out of there this spring I will filet them, smoke them and vaccum seal them and take him up some fish to say thanks. I figure kill him with kindness and I may score a turkey spot for next year. Would you guys do any different? Would you mention that you know his cousin or anything? I thought he may ask how I knew where he lived but he never did. I told him I didnt need an explanation why, it's his land and he didnt need to justify anything to me.

I wouldn't bring the cousin into this... you don't really know if it will help or hurt you. You have an in with the fishing and you can build on that relationship.

When you have some smoked steel for him, drop it off and ask if he's ever tried smoked turkey.

-Brian

I wouldn't bring the cousin into this... you don't really know if it will help or hurt you. You have an in with the fishing and you can build on that relationship.

Thats what I figured too. And I didnt want him to think I was trying to put some pressure on him. It's his land and he has every right to say no and not have to defend him self.

CC IT SURE IS A SLOW NIGHT BRO. WE CAN HEAD UP THERE WHEN IT OPENS UP. I WAS ALREADY TELLIN UR BOSS THAT WE WILL HAVE TO HOOK UP SO I CAN LEARN FROM A PRO. :thumbsup_anim:

By you getting the property for fishing and not hunting,I would say thats a great step. Sharing your harvest of trout is the next step.Hey,it may not lead to a hunting spot but it is the right thing to do. I share the kills off the land I hunt with the owner.It took me a couple of years to get permission from him,but it has been worth it.Grouse,turkey,deer wabbits. :canadian:

His brother, who has the property beside him will not let me hunt on it,he will let no one. It aint him really it,s his mrs,s. Man does he have prime big buck property. Oh wait those are his cows :wallbash:

Be patient,I would think a year or two and you may have yourself a new friend and a place to hunt turkeys.

I think you did it the right way but I would mention it casually to his cousin that you had gone to ask permission but were turned down. Give him the opportunity intervien on your behalf.

If some stranger showed up here and asked to fish off my dock I'd I might say yes but If they introduced themselves as a friend of (someone that I knew and liked) I would be more likely to say yes.

Now, as far as taking other people there to fish, did you ask permission to do that? I recently got a person permission to hunt a piece of property that I and my friends have been hunting for years, next thing I know he is bringing his buddies hunting there. It's only a small piece of property (about 3 acres) Didn't go over very well!

You have to have the legal owner's permission to fish or hunt there. Having the cousin's blessing for the fishing part is OK, but I would mention the conversation to your Sgt and explain to him that if his cousin ever changes his mind, you will still need your Sgt's written permission. This could be a subtle way of bringing up a conversation between the Sgt and his cousin.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Now that you can fish there, I'd take some to him sometime, and then ask if he's changed his mind about hunting there. Again, it's his property, so "no" is "no", and he really doesn't need to give a reason. I would just ask every so often (no more than twice per year).

Also, not sure if Ontario has anything like this, but in our Hunting Regs, there is a form for people to use who have permission. Here is the link:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntguide1/...TG0607_1-19.pdf

Look at page 11 of the guide. May be worth doing if for no other reason then to let the landowner know you appreciate and respect his willingness to let you be on his land. Oh, and I wouldn't take anyone there (unless imediate family) unless that was part of the deal.

Best of Luck!

dk

I think your doing all right, like was said build that trust and good relationship over time and then try again. It never hurts to find out what he drinks from his cousin and stop in around the holiday season with a thank you bottle for access to the fishing.

Cold calling and asking for permission is one of the toughest things to do and even harder on the land owner as he has no idea who or what you are and wanting to carry a gun on his property. I personally would have asked his cousin before I knocked on the door and asked to use his name as it would have given him a reference to talk to about you. I would try to work it in some time in the future if you see him while fishing,it can't hurt.

Good Luck with it Verno.

Hi,

My advice would be to be extra careful not to litter (I'm pretty sure you wouldn't based on your posts). Maybe also take out any garbage you do find. Leave it cleaner than you find it.

Sure to go over well with the landowner and maybe even start mending the image of fishermen as polluters.

Good luck with the trout fishing,

Charles

How do you think I always have crappie or walleye fillets in my freezer. That's my brib to allow a guy to hunt my property...

As has been mentioned you should also have written permission. OFAH has a nice two part form for hunter/fisherman to fill in and sign as well as the property owner. Releases the owner from liabilty for you and makes it easy when other family members question you being on their land that husband/father/brother hasn't told them about...or they haven't seen your face.

Edited by irishfield

How do you think I always have crappie or walleye fillets in my freezer. That's my brib to allow a guy to hunt my property...

Will perch fillets cut it Wayne? :whistling::whistling: I make a mean roasted grouse aswell :canadian:

Need to get my butt up there in acouple of weeks to have a look see. :thumbsup_anim:

Which reminds me,I need to you sign a permission slip to use your plane encase I have to look for my downed game.LOLOLOLOLOL

I wish you all the best of luck on this pursuit. I think so far you have handled it to a tee. The thank you gestures from your first fishing trip on his land is a great idea.

Invite him fishing or maybe even your SGNT at work. Build a relationship. It might not happen over night but WHEN it does you have a spot for fishing and hunting for life and maybe even a few more partners.

Thanks for the replies guys. I never thought of the permission forms. I think I will print one off and go back for a visit. Charles picking up litter before the season is a great idea, I think I will take my 3 yr old for a nature walk and get him to help me clean up.

Just to clarify my Sgt is the owners cousin, and it was my sgts cousin that I went to talk to and ask permission of.

Just to clarify my Sgt is the owners cousin, and it was my sgts cousin that I went to talk to and ask permission of.

Just like my reply said,the property I hunt is a co-workers,his brother owns the other side,no hunting.Some people have different perspectives Verno.Dont count on relation to get an extra toe in bud.Been there done that.Many a times.It means squat.

So I figure, the next time I speak to the Sgt I will mention that I got turned down if it comes up in the conversation, otherwise I wont mention it. And I figure if I take some nice chrome steelies out of there this spring I will filet them, smoke them and vaccum seal them and take him up some fish to say thanks. I figure kill him with kindness and I may score a turkey spot for next year

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure ( 99.99%) you got a deal :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: