Anyone Else Have This Summer Job Growin Up?

bushart

I did both jobs as a kid. Haying on my uncles farm was hard work but lots of fun hanging out with my cousins. My uncle paid me 50 bucks a week and free r&b. We never worked on Sunday, except for milking the cows. The when I was 15 I went to Tillsonberg to pick tobacco. My pay went from 50 a week to 50 a day. I remember waking up after my first day of tobacco picking and my hands were seized closed,couldn't open them. I have done alot of hard jobs in my life but tobacco picking was the toughest. We ate like kings on the farm I was on, but guys would quit on almost a daily basis. Most couldn't handle the work. My brother is sending his 12 yr old boy to my cousins farm this summer for a lesson in hard work. The funny thing is the young lad can't wait to go, his first job. I have already mentioned to him that when he starts his farm job this summer he can't quit because the work is to hard. Theres no quitters in our family.

I betcha nobody picked on you at school--throwin that many bales by hand :)

Got an equally good one for ya. Try hanging sticks of bologna in a smoking tree every morning 5 days a week for a summer. I think there were something like 5 big bungs of bologna or other cold cuts on each stick. The tree was like a framework metal box about 3 1/2' by 3 1/2' square and 5' high hanging from a roller track. The framework really forced you to reach to get in to the centre. It was like doing heavy curls for 4 hours. I forget how much a large cello bag of bologna like Schneiders makes weighs but multiply by 5 and you have the stick.

JF

The family farm,#1 killer of young boys, we don't know how lucky we were.

Had my forehead sewn on twice, stepped on by cows, bitten by pigs, Coated with pesticides, kicked and dragged by horses and all kinds of woodlot close calls, where "Oh %% that almost killed me" just becomes common place.

Wouldn't trade it for the world....well maybe after they litter the place up with wind turbines I would.