Lake Temagami ice fishing

gino

Hi everyone!

I want to go on Temagami on february and I was wondering if anyone been there lately. How is fishing there? Any recommendations regarding places to go?

How thick is the ice?

thank you very much!

Gino

Don't be so sure about that 10 point.. Temagami first nations will clean and then flood to increase thickness and get the ice road open.. just like my neighbour does to get a road out to his place and mine. I'm the one that posted the road to Bear Island was open, on Ottertooth, based on Nipfishers trip up there.

That said... I know I can at least drive a portion of the NE Arm.. but not sure how safe it is beyond the gap onto the main lake... or thru the axe narrows.

Gino.. just remember that Lakers don't open until the 15th of Feb.

Temagami FN will be putting the 5 ton plow on the ice road come Mon. TFN does not flood the road to increase thickness. There was 14" of clear black ice at my hut on Sun. before this cold snap, so I would guess 16" by now. As we all know the ice is not consistantly thick, but I would not fear sledding around the main channels. Saw a full size pickup heading up the NE arm on Sun. Not sure how far up they may have went, but I would guess up to Broom Island, or the Hub.

JTF

what a great thread so far. im not saying its funny that the truck is at the bottom of the lake, just the way the thread plays out and your matter of fact updates. i put my chevy into temagami about 10 years back on the ice road going to the south arm. it happens.

thanks guys for the updates...I'll be careful.we're going there probably the second weekend in february, and thanks Irishfield...i know it's only open on 15, well...that's it , I couldn't get more free days. wish me luck!

You'd think that since they end the Laker season, in March, on a weekend.. that they could at least open it .. say Midnight friday.. 2nd weekend in Feb..not on a Tuesday !

So you'll be fishing Whities and Pickeral... find some flats in 40 to 50 FOW.. drill and give it an hour tops. Nothing.. move. We've found 45 feet or so to be the best whitie water over the last 6 years. Pickeral.. we've found them during the day when fishing for lakers/whities.. in 70 FOW believe it or not, but with the slot it's a real gamble if pickeral is what you're targeting. They'll be dead on arrival from that depth. Other great spots.. shoals/points etc as the sun lowers.

Where are you staying??? Will give some light as to how to help you out.

Cool video.

Reminds me of a video I saw of a pick up truck trying to pull another pick up out of a similar style hole. Deep water and 20 feet of chain. The truck went down and drug the other truck along the ice and it followed. I forget where I came across it.

WOW!!! Pretty scary !!! Luckily I don't own a 5 ton plow truck but a little Subaru...I should be safe with that . Wayne, we might be stay at Loonlodge, and we moved our trip for next weekend, 18-20 feb to be sure we catch some trout too. If you have some info and advices for me it will be more than welcome.Cheers!

Gino

Don't be so sure about that 10 point.. Temagami first nations will clean and then flood to increase thickness and get the ice road open.. just like my neighbour does to get a road out to his place and mine. I'm the one that posted the road to Bear Island was open, on Ottertooth, based on Nipfishers trip up there.

That said... I know I can at least drive a portion of the NE Arm.. but not sure how safe it is beyond the gap onto the main lake... or thru the axe narrows.

Gino.. just remember that Lakers don't open until the 15th of Feb.

I'm scheduled to go to the Island this week. Maybe, I'll request a pick up at the launch.

WOW!!! Pretty scary !!! Luckily I don't own a 5 ton plow truck but a little Subaru...I should be safe with that . Wayne, we might be stay at Loonlodge, and we moved our trip for next weekend, 18-20 feb to be sure we catch some trout too. If you have some info and advices for me it will be more than welcome.Cheers!

Gino

They should take care of you well at Loon. Not a spot we generally fish, so I can't offer much for that location.. we either fish well before it down the NE Arm or further up the North Arm and into Kokoko etc. We stay away from drilling anywhere near the ice road to Bear Island etc.