Trolling motor advice

HTHM

I have an opportunity to buy two minn kotta 74 pound thrust maxxum motors. One the variable speed does not work, the other needs a stator or brushes.

Is it difficult to make one from the two?

The cost for these would be ~$300.

What do you guys think?

Wouldnt touch them.

Two things to look at,first is this an indicator of how the past owner treated his gear or second is it at the age and work capacity that things will go wrong?Either one is a good indicator of future issues.

These are tear offs from older boats that a reputable dealer has in his shop as surplus. By all appearences they do not appear to be abused, just broken.

They are excellent products, but as already pointed out, these things must have been abused! They are very rugged motors!

If the shafts are not bent, call Aikmans in Mississauga or Rockies in Orilia and check on what the parts would cost to repair.

That is why I am thinking of making one from the two, I will have many spare parts provided I get the two best ones that he has.

Thanks for the feedback! It has given me food for thought.

Thats my point garnet they ARE made for abuse and if these two are showing signs just how badly were they abused??

I do agree though that the two things that go are the mnotor and board.So If you are comfortable with replacing one or maybe both in the future then it is worth a try.If not then go another route.To me the big thing is reliability.Hate to get out on the lake and have it fail.

Trolling motors are made for abuse.

The most expensive thing to fix are the motor $300 and the board $300.

That still makes them cheap. Rocky might cut you a 2 for 1 repair rate.