Kempenfelt Report

steverowbotham

How do you spell SLOW? I think it's K-E-M-P .... ahh you get it. I spent 6 hours on Friday fishing the 2nd line of Oro, ice was anywhere from 2.5-4 inches thick depending on location. In 6 hours, I caught 12 herring fishing various depths from 65-113, no lakers or whities to be seen. Terribly slow, I never skunked once last year, and my first time on the laker grounds this year I skunked... UH OH.

Yesterday I head to Big Bay Point and immediately saw action on my screen in 100feet of water. I dropped down a laker taker and had fish all over it, but soon realized they were just herring again. Lost two good fish on the laker taker, they were short biters, one was a whitie that I saw about 20 feet down before she unbuckled. Finally switched to a williams spoon and caught a few more herring, 4 smelt and finally but a couple lakers on the ice. I stayed in the same spot for 5 hours yesterday, didnt feel like moving because A) It was freezing out and B) I have a slipped disc in my back and dragging a 100lbs hut through 1.5 feet of fresh snow was not fun at all. Tough Week, there's TONS of bait out there! Let's hope the fishing picks up!

163073_10150128510408092_502843091_7852093_6450267_n.jpg

167249_10150128510453092_502843091_7852094_1569218_n.jpg

Nice fish Steve and report.Lot of snow to be dragg,n thats for sure.

Was there much action below the 2nd? Angler wise?

Good spot for a short walk if I can get off earlly.Bar and rod in hand.

See the idiot out in the middle with all the huts. :wallbash::wallbash: Tried to tell me theres 7"-8" out there. :rofl2::rofl2:

Ice off of 2nd was really dicey, thinnest I've seen all year (This includes BP)... At least the ice at BP is nice and black, 2nd line is a real mix. Same thing with my yesterday (fished BBP).. Lots of herring, lots of smelt and lost a brute of a laker right at the hole. I can't believe the amount of herring this year, it's crazy..

And yes, that snow made for a very interesting walk yesterday pulling my Clam, lol.

Good job Steve!

Ice at BBP was also in the 2.5-4 inch range. I had so many people try telling me they were on 6-7 inches of ice... hope they dont measure their fish the same way... lol

Thanks, still definately too thin for me. Hopefully tomorrow's impending warm spell doesn't do too much damage to it and I can get out next weekend.