refrigerator? NF

pikehunter

Looks like it could be time to hand the wallet over to a salesman and buy a new fridge. I've managed to nurse the old one along for about the past 5 years or so but now am at the end of my rope. Stupid thing decides it wants to run and run and run freezing everything in it.

Thought I figured it out, made a trip to the grocery store again to stock up the Maytag and Wham! Does it again :angry: Tried moving the freezer contents around, checked for fan operation, cleaned out the vent at the front of the evaporator pan and no difference, got the freezer temp down to about 2 or 3 and the fridge at less than 1 now. Seems to be cycling off and on right now but I don't trust it. I am assuming the thermostat is fried.

So, is there any preferences out there? looking at an LG with a bottom freezer pull out drawer and an Amana with the same features, not stainless but in white. Thing I like about the old one is the quietness of it. It would be nice if we have to buy a new one it is as quiet. However dependability and long life is important.

Thanks for any comments.

Looks like it could be time to hand the wallet over to a salesman and buy a new fridge. I've managed to nurse the old one along for about the past 5 years or so but now am at the end of my rope. Stupid thing decides it wants to run and run and run freezing everything in it.

Thought I figured it out, made a trip to the grocery store again to stock up the Maytag and Wham! Does it again :angry: Tried moving the freezer contents around, checked for fan operation, cleaned out the vent at the front of the evaporator pan and no difference, got the freezer temp down to about 2 or 3 and the fridge at less than 1 now. Seems to be cycling off and on right now but I don't trust it. I am assuming the thermostat is fried.

So, is there any preferences out there? looking at an LG with a bottom freezer pull out drawer and an Amana with the same features, not stainless but in white. Thing I like about the old one is the quietness of it. It would be nice if we have to buy a new one it is as quiet. However dependability and long life is important.

Thanks for any comments.

Samsung! Kenmore built samsungs are on sale....I know! :whistling:

Some of the models use a fan on smaller coils under the fridge for cooling, a real pain, we had one, never again. You'll find that a lot of fridges are just re branded depending what store you buy them from. Stick with the Sears models, the seem to have the best warranty. As for LG, I would rather watch a Leafs game or paint dry...

Pike hunter. If its just the thermostat, change it. Maytag fridges are good fridges. Made by americain admiral or Whirlpool depending on the year. Stay clear of samsung and lg fridges. Parts are hard to get, and expensive. When you buy a fridge, you want it to last longer than the warranty, so think about ease of repair. all new fridges are made with underpowered compressors.They burn out in less than 2-3 years. I see it everyday.wallbash.gif

If it was mine, i would fix it for sure. Controls are an easy fix.I know, becase i have 30 years in the appliance parts bussiness, and own my own parts company. FIX IT, or if you have your mind made up to buy, go whirlpool,(kitchenaid,inglis,roper) or get another maytag.Sears are usually made by lg, samsung or frigidaire.PM me if you have any questions

Paul

Some of the models use a fan on smaller coils under the fridge for cooling, a real pain, we had one, never again. You'll find that a lot of fridges are just re branded depending what store you buy them from. Stick with the Sears models, the seem to have the best warranty. As for LG, I would rather watch a Leafs game or paint dry...

if you own a sears fridge, 80% chance its an LG.The fan in the bottom of the fridge is there to cool down the compressor only and the condenser coils.The warranty comes from the manufacturer, usually on year parts and service with an additional year on the sealed system.More than that, you pay for it.

Pike hunter. If its just the thermostat, change it. Maytag fridges are good fridges. Made by americain admiral or Whirlpool depending on the year. Stay clear of samsung and lg fridges. Parts are hard to get, and expensive. When you buy a fridge, you want it to last longer than the warranty, so think about ease of repair. all new fridges are made with underpowered compressors.They burn out in less than 2-3 years. I see it everyday.wallbash.gif

If it was mine, i would fix it for sure. Controls are an easy fix.I know, becase i have 30 years in the appliance parts bussiness, and own my own parts company. FIX IT, or if you have your mind made up to buy, go whirlpool,(kitchenaid,inglis,roper) or get another maytag.Sears are usually made by lg, samsung or frigidaire.PM me if you have any questions

Paul

...as an owner of a Sears store and someone who also sees this daily...my repair tech says the complete opposite! His exact words are "Whirlpool screwed up Maytag" and by today's standards LG and Samsung...especially Samsung are the way to go in his opinion...and from what I've dealt with the last five years I agree! To each their own I guess??? We've had A LOT of success with all Samsung products and of all the stuff we sell, my kitchen will prove it. Good Luck! Also, parts haven't been an issue on fridges...higher end steam washers and dryers are a different story though. I agree on the compressors...but that's why fridges today are so cheap too!

DONT DO IT MAN !!! YOU WILL REGRET BUYING A SAMSUNG FRIDGE.

they make great electronics, but lousy cheaply built appliances.

Wow! :dunno::blahblah1: Left field in my opinion! I'm not endorsing them with any bias as I sell all products! Samsung appliances have been really really good and my customers have been really really happy???? :dunno: A lot of Kenmore products today are made by Samsung for a reason...

The feds are talking about a recycale tax on appliances. This should force the north american manufacturers to think twice about a cheaply built appliance. yup, sears threw whirlpool out last year, but for reasons of cost rather than quality. Samsun and lg outbid them, and whirlpool were too independant to foresee this happening.There will be new negociations and soon enough, whirlpool will be reinstated.There are even maytag and whirlpool washers made by samsung. I see appliances in parts only, and my experience shows me thinner evaporateurs, plastic fan motors and thin, cheaply made cosmetic parts like shelves and handles and trim on lg and samsung.If i had to choose between the 2, samsung over lg anyday, but id still look under the pile for a whirlpoolwhistling.gifw00t.gif

The feds are talking about a recycale tax on appliances. This should force the north american manufacturers to think twice about a cheaply built appliance. yup, sears threw whirlpool out last year, but for reasons of cost rather than quality. Samsun and lg outbid them, and whirlpool were too independant to foresee this happening.There will be new negociations and soon enough, whirlpool will be reinstated.There are even maytag and whirlpool washers made by samsung. I see appliances in parts only, and my experience shows me thinner evaporateurs, plastic fan motors and thin, cheaply made cosmetic parts like shelves and handles and trim on lg and samsung.If i had to choose between the 2, samsung over lg anyday, but id still look under the pile for a whirlpoolwhistling.gifw00t.gif

I'd hardly say threw them out...they're all still there and still under the Kenmore banner. PM me. I'll send you a list of sku's and their manufacturers behind them.

I'd hardly say threw them out...they're all still there and still under the Kenmore banner. PM me. I'll send you a list of sku's and their manufacturers behind them.

thats ok, i have it in my office.

665, 110,106.

Im getting alot of 630 bosh, and 596 Amana request lately.675 woods was bought by whirlpool after mistsubishi closed the doors on the plant.Also what do you think about the electronics on 670 WCI appliances.968 GE is also a good machine, but some are LG, specially the fridges and laundy products.

Both of us are well schooled in appliances, but from different points of view. I will definately not argue with you, because we are both right, but from different angles. I own a multi brand wholesale/retail parts bussiness and am in touch daily with independant techs from all over Canada, you own a Sears store that sells a product that you believe in because you sell them. Simple as that. I respect your opinion i00%clapping.gif

Thanks for the help guys. As an update we ordered the Amana with the bottom freezer with the pull out drawer rather than one with a swinging freezer door, (seems easier to get at the ice cream) :D From what I can tell the Amana is the same as Whirlpool except for the name tag glued on the door. The info on LG helped to make the decision.

Bought it at the Home Depot after they price matched, got a buck and a half off!

Edited by pikehunter

Thanks for the help guys. As an update we ordered the Amana with the bottom freezer with the pull out drawer rather than one with a swinging freezer door, (seems easier to get at the ice cream) biggrin.gif From what I can tell the Amana is the same as Whirlpool except for the name tag glued on the door. The info on LG helped to make the decision.

Bought it at the Home Depot after they price matched, got a buck and a half off!

thumbsup_anim.gif

good choice !!! The freezer drawer is convenient. i have one myself.You use the ref section more, so it makes sense having it at eye level.get extended warranty if available.With todays new appliances its a must.Lifespan of a new appliance on average these days is 5years unfortunatelywallbash.gif after that manufacturers make replacement parts no longer available.Its criminalmad.gif I hope the Gov does what they say, and levy a recycle tax on appliances.Our landfill sites are getting over loaded, and it will force manufacturers to act more responsibly.

Just went through this

Samsung - NO

Amana - NO

LG - NO

Whirpool Gold - Yes

Frigidare - Yes

Kenmore - Yes

I ended up with Kenmore, warranty and looks. The came down to meet a competitive price I had on a set of Whirlpool Golds (I was buying everything)

Mercman,

What is the current status with CAMCO (or Mabe) these days. I have been out of the appliance business for quite a while now, but used to service a lot. I always tried to stay with the CAMCO makes (GE, White, McClary, etc.) over all others. I was always able to get parts very reasonable. I guess even they have gone the way of the Dodo bird now?

Home Depot always has very good pricing on appliances and we have bought our laundry units there.

I recently bought a new LED TV from Sears. cctd2006, what is your honest opinion on the extended warranty they offer on appliances through Sears? It seems too good to be true! You pay for it now, but if you don't use the extended warranty, you get a full refund in store credit at the end of the warranty period? Seems it would be hard to make money with this type of deal.

Mercman,

What is the current status with CAMCO (or Mabe) these days. I have been out of the appliance business for quite a while now, but used to service a lot. I always tried to stay with the CAMCO makes (GE, White, McClary, etc.) over all others. I was always able to get parts very reasonable. I guess even they have gone the way of the Dodo bird now?

Home Depot always has very good pricing on appliances and we have bought our laundry units there.

I recently bought a new LED TV from Sears. cctd2006, what is your honest opinion on the extended warranty they offer on appliances through Sears? It seems too good to be true! You pay for it now, but if you don't use the extended warranty, you get a full refund in store credit at the end of the warranty period? Seems it would be hard to make money with this type of deal.

Camco was purchased by MABE, a mexicain based company, about 4 years ago. The largest manufacturer of appliances in the world.They manufacture for LG Samsung, some whirlpool and maytag, Haier, amongst others.I am an authorized parts depot for them.All of my appliances are GE Profile.They make an excellent product although the profile fridges are LG manufactured by MABE.If you still do service, PM me for pricing on parts.

Sears is making money on the extended warranty. They get a price, and add a markup to it as profit.IF you dont use the warranty, they give you a credit on the purchase of another article from sears, so they are not losing a thing.

Just went through this

Samsung - NO

Amana - NO

LG - NO

Whirpool Gold - Yes

Frigidare - Yes

Kenmore - Yes

I ended up with Kenmore, warranty and looks. The came down to meet a competitive price I had on a set of Whirlpool Golds (I was buying everything)

Bubbles !!! you know your stuff. but dont forget, kenmore appliances may be made by LG Amana or Samsung and you would not know it unless you had the model checked by someone like me, in a parts supplier.

Bottom freezer door is the beez neez. Try looking at TASCO distributors, worth the drive to Dundas and Erin Mills Pkwy, even if only to look at Wolf dual fuel stoves and Liebherr fridges.

they are the ultimate in home appliancesclapping.gif but they breakdown like any other.i drool evrytime i have to visit subzero or wolf site.