Got out this morn to IBP

Cudz

Nice day. Was on the ice before 7 and got off the ice by about 12:30. Fished about 76' of water. Lots of good perch and I caught 9 herring. If I were a bigger fish I would eat those. No dorsal fin just smooth and slick. Mouth looks exactly like a tarpon. I can see why they are related. 5" of ice lots of sleds and ATVs out.

Hey Terry, I was out about 100 yards further than we were last week but there were people way beyond me. Whe I went into my shelter there were 3 other groups setting up. I stayed in the whole time. When I got out of my shelter it looked like a little city out there. It looked like there were people all the way to the island.

Chris 5" of ice is a little thin for me :w00t:

How far did you had to walk to reach the 76' mark??

Is the ice making any weird nose with all the traffic??

Reason I ask.... I was out yesterday on a lake that had about 7" of ice and one guy drove on it with his car..... I wasn't far from the launch and as soon as the car rolled on it, made some popping noise and of course heard a loud cracking as he was passing by and seen the ice crack right beside me where I was sitting :wallbash:

It startle me and jumped right then and there :blink: I got back to fishing but a few minutes later I packed it in with a skunk :wallbash:

This year the ice is not thickening as fast as last year and think it's not safe to drive a sled, ATV or car for that matter :o

Sounds like you had a good time!!!

You guys be safe on that Simcoe ice!

Jacques

Two springs ago I had mentioned that despite all the white bass that people catch in Nipissing I had never caught one. First fish that spring was a white bass of course.

They have a dorsel fin, no spiny rays though, nice and oily too.

You are right about the dorsal fin. I meant it would not get caught in my throat like a perch dorsal fin does. I should remove those before I eat them but I usually can't wait until I get home so I just eat them on teh spot. :thumbsup_anim:

I know that is funny I was saying how I never catch herring. lol. Now I am know as the Cisco kid.

You are right about the dorsal fin. I meant it would not get caught in my throat like a perch dorsal fin does. I should remove those before I eat them but I usually can't wait until I get home so I just eat them on teh spot. :thumbsup_anim:

I know that is funny I was saying how I never catch herring. lol. Now I am know as the Cisco kid.

Next time out, I'm going to post that I've never pulled a 10lb walleye and a 20lb pike out of the same hole. :w00t:

Thanks for the report. The same scenario seems to be playing out all over the lake right now (IBP, north and south shore of Kempenfelt, Oro etc)...lot's of Herring (some quite large) and virtually no Whities to be found. They have to be somewhere - I suspect they are lurking in the main lake where people aren't venturing yet.

Hey there. I was out at IBP for my first ice session of the year as well. yes they are charging for parking. Insane amounts of people out there (mind you that was my first time at that location, so maybe it's normal).

I am not as brave as most so we stayed over 60' of water and the ice was about 6". We had a couple sleds pass close by and felt some movement in the ice as they passed which was a littly freaky but it was subtle and we still felt safe.

We caught about 20 perch, mostly dinks. Two over 10"s one being 12.25 on a small white twister tail on a jig head. Most of the dinks were lured in with aggresive jigging using williams. All in all a fun day on the ice, and i can't wait to get out deeper for lakers and whities :D

are they charging to park yet

Yep,

10 chips. He just asked if we were innisfil residents. I guess if you were dishonest you could say yes but I don't have my sticker yet. We said no. lol.

Herring are big. They chase just like a laker on teh vexilar. very cool. They chase about 3 times faster than a perch.

Next time out, I'm going to post that I've never pulled a 10lb walleye and a 20lb pike out of the same hole. :w00t:

I think that only works once in your life and you have already used yours up (don't worry so have I), but jut in case, I have never pulled a 10lb walleye or a 20 lb pike out of the ice either.

All my fish were taken on the same lure that I made. Nice. It is a Lindy Darter hybrid and I outfished my buddy sitting beside by about 5 to 1. He was using williams half and half, Bad boys and a variety of other spoons.

I suspect they are lurking in the main lake where people aren't venturing yet.

Exactly.

All my fish were taken on the same lure that I made. Nice. It is a Lindy Darter hybrid and I outfished my buddy sitting beside by about 5 to 1. He was using williams half and half, Bad boys and a variety of other spoons.

Dats cuz ya gotz xspearence.LOL (sry,best I could do a darryl Waltrip impression)

Edited by Misfish