Ice Fishing Rod

4x4bassin

I'm in the market for a new rod and have a couple questions.

I don't get out much so I don't need anything fancy (save that for soft water)

Where would be the best place to start looking and what should I be looking for ?

I will be going after lake trout/pike/whitefish so I imagine I would need

something a little heavy.

Thanks

Here's a few tips for you...

Don't buy a rod that come with line allready on the spool. Theres no way of telling how long that line has been on there, and often leads to a tangled mess due to its memory.

Watch out for some of the cheaper reels with, usually with only one bearing. They usually have low quality grease in them as well. These two factors usualy lead to a stiff reel in cold weather.

Make sure you chose a rod that suites the species your fishing. Alot of the lower end rods are all med-hvy. If your targeting pan fish, an ultra light rods is key.

Hope this helsp when chosing your rod/reel.

Good luck

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I have a reel already so i'm just looking for a rod , I got

a set up for christmas but took it back (too light for lake trout, they would turn it into a pretzel)

so the search is on !

best cheap rod for the purpose you describe i can think of... nice long laker rod...

http://www.frabill.com/rods-reels/rods/ice-hunterr-series-jeff-gussy-gustafson-38-heavy-duty-ice-rod.html

I just bought the Graphite GS Series ice rod from BPS. $22. It's longer than your typical ice rod with a better backbone. The best thing about it is it doesn't have the rubber stoppers to hold the reel in place...those drive me nuts, this one has the screw type clamping system.

To complete the combo I bought an Abu Garcia Cardinal 101i reel. Big enough to use in the summer, small enough to use with the ice rod and the quality is high enough to avoid stiff reeling in cold temps. $35 at BPS

I've got cheap HT ice rods, the expensive, longer jigging rods, tip-ups, ice lightning rods and ice ugly stiks.

Ice fishing doesn't variate too much. With the exception of my much heavier pike rods, any of those other rods can substitute for another. Go with what feels good in your hand at the store!

I've got problet the cheapest of the cheap. Its an Ugly Stick and has served me well. You said you dont get out ice fishing much so I wouldnt go crazy with those cadilac rods and save your money for some extra jigs. :canadian:

The nice thing about ice fishing is the "cadillac rods" are still cheap. But, I know what you are saying.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

thorne bros are real nice and all, but i'm not sold on the price tag. i built very nice ice rods on 10 dollar blanks from mudhole. i use a thorne bros rod tube to protect it though!

Heck of a quote Doc...I had to read it 3 times :)

I use an ugly stick, 28 and 32 inch med and med heavy with a softer tip. Works well for whities and lakers -- caught one at 21lbs last year and it was fine. Obviously your reel will be decent.

You're only going to buy one, so don't go on the cheap. Consider medium to medium heavy, ensure the tip is sensitive enough for light bites, and get a screw in reel seat and cork handle...also ensure the eyes aren't too small, they ice up like crazy.

Avoid the rods that are too thin...they aren't very forgiving if you bump them around a bit..."snap" :(

I haven't found many nice ice rods. I won't buy them paired up with the reels because the drags on those reels almost always suck. I tried a premier but it was way to soft and the fibers cracked and the rod broke. Has a warranty but.. The avid feels a little better I might pick one up but for like 10 bucks more that custom rod that BillM mentioned sounds like a good idea.

I like to use the shortest thickest rod i can find when on simcoe i have one made by lakeland, this rod is heavy and short with big eye holes so they never freeze up.. i use this rod strictly on simcoe the reason being when i have a fish no one can tell that i have one on and then no one can crowd me.. most of the time when someone has a fish on, people move in to fish close to them sometimes too close, almost in their hole..

I just bought the Graphite GS Series ice rod from BPS. $22. It's longer than your typical ice rod with a better backbone. The best thing about it is it doesn't have the rubber stoppers to hold the reel in place...those drive me nuts, this one has the screw type clamping system.

To complete the combo I bought an Abu Garcia Cardinal 101i reel. Big enough to use in the summer, small enough to use with the ice rod and the quality is high enough to avoid stiff reeling in cold temps. $35 at BPS

I have that same set up.. I love it.. enjoy!!

The selection at Le Baron (Markham) and BPS is pretty poor at the moment. Although, the last time I was at BPS they did have a lot of their own brand of rods and some baitcaster St. Croix rods. They BPS brand rods are the longer ice rods (like 36-42" or something) - new trend I guess. I'd check JB's Fishing Depot (near 401/Belfied), they carry St.Croix rods. The Jason Mitchell rods (recently purchase by Clam corp) seem popular, but never used one. If you don't want a St.Croix, then I would agree with ordering something online.

Good luck.

I've been using a 40" Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart MH for lighter baits like buckshots and smaller tubes.

Also use a 40" Thorne Bros. glass predator rod for bigger plastics and traps.

Their not the cheapest but awesome rods and built, with the components I wanted. The extra length is key if you're taller and fish outside...less line above the ice for wind to catch and kill sensitivity.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

To the members who made custom ice rods, which blanks did you use.. I'm looking to make one for lakers and whities, not sure on what length to get.

i used the cheap ice blanks on mudhole.com

it's a 39" solid glass medium action.