BAIT SHOPS NEED OUR HELP

Handlebarz

I took this from a local fishing site here on LSC as most know about VHS that has affected our area we now need the help of the fishermen/women to call in or send emails to our local MP's and MPP's to try and get bait back into the stores please have a look here and read the links there is alot of info out there on VHS that will explain better then what I can do but the buisness down here is hurting and will need alot of support from us so if you feel like it please take the time to call or email them. I am in no way attached to any bait company or store I just dont want these guys to go under then when i need to get bait or stop by the local store see it closed up due to this thanks Mike

orrigional from basshaven.com

Ontario Baitfish Update.......Mar.17, 2007

Stand by folks.....we had meetings this past week with our Federal MP Hon. Bev Shipley, a lengthy phone conersation with our MPP Hon. Maria VanBommel, a long meeting yesterday with the Hon. Sandra Pupatello MPP Windsor West Minister of Economic Development, and Trade Minister Responsible for Women’s Issues ........and a meeting is scheduled for early this week with the Minister of Tourism, the Hon. Jim Bradley MPP St.Catherines....

...there's some important info coming down the pipe, we hope, very shortly.

Please be aware that we do not disagree with the briefing paper that was recently delivered by the province's partner in all this, Michigan DNR, to all stakeholders and affected government agencies, including those in Ontario, both Federal and provincial.....and we understand fully the seriousness of the VHS issue and fully support their initiative to curtail the spread of this pathogen into uninfected waters.

We also fully understand that there is NO CURE for VHS once it enters a body of water.

We fully understand that any legislative decision should be based on up-to-date science and not a knee jerk reaction.

We also fully understand that this is an alleged ballast water issue that the bait and sportfishing industry is solely being held accountable for, and as such, is seriously jeopardizing the livleyhoods AND way of life of a large number of people on both sides of this immediate border, not to mention the impact on the Tourism, Fishing Tackle and Marine Trade Industries plus Government Tax coffers.

We fully understand that there is absolutely NO RISK TO HUMANS from VHS.

We also fully understand that VHS has been documented in the present "INFECTED ZONE" since 2003 and new evidence may suggest possibly as far back as 1988.

We fully understand that VHS has now been documented within 20 miles of the Straits of Mackinaw in 2005 and is also currently being investigated as the possible cause of a major fish die off in Lower Lake Michigan earlier this year..

Here is a link to that briefing paper.....click or cut and paste it into your browser......

http://www.savethebaitbusiness.com/documen...eet20070226.pdf

Here is the parent link that also contains a lot of up to date info.......

http://www.savethebaitbusiness.com

In the meantime we are asking everyone to contact their MP and MPP ...or their State Representative or Congressman... and ask them to back a solution that would allow bait to be CAUGHT WITHIN THE INFECTED ZONE, transported, sold and contained for use ONLY WITHIN THE INFECTED ZONE, HOWEVER WAY THAT ZONE IS DEFINED.

Every gov't official we have spoken to has agreed, "off the record", that the scientific evidence says this is the correct solution, but the problem is that MP's, MPP's within the infected and buffer zones are not hearing from anyone other than the bait dealers and they have told us that THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THIS ISSUE.

NY State is already modifying their legislation, effective Mar.15, to suit their specific need, using the available scientific evidence.

The infected zone CANNOT GET ANY MORE INFECTED THAN IT ALREADY IS and there is NO CURE, so the common sense solution would be to allow bait to be caught, transported, sold and contained for use WITHIN THE INFECTED ZONE.

As per the International Joint Commission, the Great Lakes Fisheries Commission, the Great Lakes Fisheries Council, USDA(APHIS), Ag Canada(FIA), DFO, Michigan DNR and Ontario MNR it is acknowledged that once a body of water is infected it will stay infected because THERE IS NO CURE.

It is our opinion that Provincial and Federal officials appear to be utilizing USDA/Michigan DNR/Penn DNR/NY DNR etc. data such as test results and DNA sampling to generate legislation, as there has been apparently no known testing by Canadian Laboratories to this point.

Time is of the essence so please make the calls on Monday of next week. We need you to get your elected officials involved.

COMMON SENSE SOLUTION-----allow bait to be caught WITHIN THE INFECTED ZONE, transported, sold and contained for use ONLY WITHIN THE INFECTED ZONE, HOWEVER WAY THAT ZONE IS DEFINED.

Below are the telephone listings of our local representatives offices.........if you are from outside this area please refer to the BLUE pages in your telephone book under Members of Parliament........if you are from the USA and vacation in this area please take a minute and make a call.......if you are from the States of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York or Maine please call your State Representative and Congressman.

Federal Government....

Dave Van Kesteren MP Essex ChathamKent

Chatham-519-358-7555

Leamington-519-326-9655

Bev Shipley MP Lambton-Kent-Middlesex

Wallaceburg-519-627-4899

1-800-585-2640

Provincial Government....

Pat Hoy MPP Chatham-Kent-Essex

519-351-0510

1-800-265-3992

Maria Van Bommel MPP Lambton-Kent-Middlesex

1-800-265-3916

Thank You for your assitance.

If you have any questions please feel free to drop me an e-mail [email protected]

Tight Lines,

Dennis

the only problem is how do you stop someone from buying them in the INFECTED ZONE

and then take them to Lake Simcoe and screw up my lake.......

And We fully understand that someone will indeed do that

if we can find an answer to that then they would have my support otherwise

I would fight to keep my lake clean and safe from the virus as long as possible

sorry that I have a somewhat different opinion

Terry the sad thing is that we can get our own minnows right now from the same water that is off limits and use them so if we can trap our own then they will still move them if they were going to do it with store bought ones.

I think that is where the big problem is from fishermen can still trap and use minnows but stores can not sell them it makes no sence if there is a ban on them then no one should be allowed to have them not just sotres.

Lake huron has VHS and you can get minnows from it but not sell them on this side of the boundrys it is a messed up system they have as one store can sell minnows from a supplyer but if your on the other side of the 402,400 or 401 what ever way they detrmin the bundries now you can not have them?

But yes Terry I agree that some one would bring them but they will do it either if they buy them or trap them, my feelings there is always the 8 rod boat out there they know better but dont give a Sh.

While I do support the idea that bait caught in the infected zone should be able to be sold within that zone, I think Terry has a legitimate point. How do you stop bait users and/or bait suppliers from using infected bait outside of the zone?

Infected bait would likely come with a cheaper price tag than non-infected and at some point some retailer is going to try and take the risk and transport the bait where it should not be.

Again the real issue is not bait but ballast water contamination. We either have to find a way to deal with it or we need to shut down the locks at the St Lawrence. Either require ballast decontamination or have inland and ocean only fleets.

Yep,I wonder what the first ship to Penatang bay will bring it this time.

What to do,THATS THE BIG QUESTION.

Terry,Im right behind ya buddy (if I was infront of you,they wouldnt see you :oops: ),and Im sure there are 1000,s of others.

Edited by misfish

The biggest thing that Pisses us Bait Harvesters down below 401 is that Lake Simcoe minnows are still being caught and sold and Lake Simcoe was not even tested for VHS ....you can bet if the virus is in lake erie its in simcoe and a many other inland lakes allready ...

the only way I can see it working is if the MNR has a form and sticker for each person buy minnow

they sign your sheet stating they know they can't take them out of the area and what body of water they are using them in

and a sticker that goes on the bag or bucket stating bought in banned area can't transport or bought in buffer area or whatever and the sticker must stay with the minnows and the Cos must ask to see the sticker..

pain in the ass but will solve most of the problem and help ease the mind of guys like me..that morons are not dumping banned minnows in Simcoe or balsam or wherever

Ontario has been about 30 years overdue in getting bait use overhauled. I feel for the bait companys but feel that this has been coming to a head for a very long time.

When the dust begins to settle, I hope that at the very least, that trout lakes have some type of provision put into place that makes it illegal to use live minnows and perhaps even take it a step further to live bait in general.

outdoorguy61

Just one persons opinion.

Hey......Our minnows practise safe sex.................... :lol: J/K

Good point, but Im sure this lake is being tested as well, as lake Simcoe shinners are transported all over aswell.I have seen the Erie boys up here with thier trucks and tanks taken them from the Barrie marina when they come in.

This would leave us all with another question,how can you tell the difference,and can it be proven they are not,without testing.

Terry I thought the same thing about using tags but then the questions was asked of me whats stoping them from putting the minnows in a different container. the VHS is alot further ahead then most would think I guess its like the ash borer down here they did to little to late.

I'm a little ignorant on live bait usage not having used it in about 10 years, well except during really big tournaments - j/k. But are minnows that much better than other live bait options? If there is any risk at all of other fisheries being damaged, isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

I feel for the bait harvesters and salesmen, but hopefully those stores can make up for their bait selling shortfalls with plastic imitations? Maybe the harvesters can target worms or leeches or frogs or something instead?

I guess I'm on side with Terry and Brian, although I'd guess Simcoe is probably already infected since it already has gobies. I don't want any more uninfected lakes potentially infected due to someone unknowingly or knowingly used minnows trapped from an infected region.

What do people do with leftover minnows? Usually they just turf em in the lake right? I assume that's how gobies got in to Simcoe.

Charles

I guess I'm on side with Terry and Brian, although I'd guess Simcoe is probably already infected since it already has gobies

Charles,you got to see my new gobie baits.LOL Sorry,I know ,not that funny. :oops:

So,I bought minnows from a local dealer,shinners.Do I dump them back into simcoe or do I just trash them.After all ,they are shinners,do I know the dif,NO.So what do I do ?

Edited by misfish

So if i get a sticker on my bucket from out of the enfected zone leave it on my bucket then buy bait down here put in Erie minnows say i bought them from up north hows that going to work ...best thing would be is just tell guys buying bait DO NOT USE IN NON ENFECTED ZONES ....but like the 8 rod bandits bait will be caught moved where ever they like ..its not us at fault its SHIPS...

well that's why I say the sticker has to stay with the minnows , which is also signed and dated......

it might keep the honest, honest

Exactly, the honest honest,but not the junkie.

This is why I like fishing with you,we have good talks.L M A O

Quote from initial post here:

"The infected zone CANNOT GET ANY MORE INFECTED THAN IT ALREADY IS and there is NO CURE, so the common sense solution would be to allow bait to be caught, transported, sold and contained for use WITHIN THE INFECTED ZONE."

Waita minute here! Isn't it a bit presumptive of the bait harvesters in SW Ontario to claim, that since all their waters are infected...might as well harvest and sell minnows throughout the infected area.

All the waters there aren't infected, and to open the chance to infect more/all waterbodies within the infected zone to appease the harvesters seems very self-serving on their part. Hey and in my view bait harvestors catch alot more minnows compared to an angler, and the distance an angler travels to use his/her bait is likely far less than a harvestor goes to get best price or to service retailers. The angler is probably much less likely... compared to the commercial harvestor... to transport infected minnows to a healthy waterbody within the infected zone.

The wool is being pulled over angler eyes on this one I think.

Seems like your argument is like me saying... "Well there is flu at the school my kids go to, so I may as well send them there while sick with the flu since everyone there already has it".

Edited by cisco

Rationalize the situation and, be realistic. There is now a ban in effect for certain areas. Do you really think that all fishermen that harvest their own minnows are going to abide by it. Does everyone that has their boat in Erie, Huron etc rinse it throughly before going to Simcoe or other Northern lakes? Obviously we all would like the answer to be yes to the latter question but know it simply is not done in all cases. Any law or ban that is passed is meant to try and stop this sort of thing, but only serves to limit overall contamination in other waterways. They simply are totally infeasible to enforce so you will always have those who do as they wish. Like most problems with our Great Lakes ecosystem our Governmental agencies drag their feet doing studies and research upon research unit it's to late to do anything. VHS is a prime example. It's been around for a long time...maybe they thought it would just go away, but like usual now were in deep crap and no one yet has thrown in a life jacket.

As a live bait fisherman I find it disheartening that I cannot fish the way I would like to because someone in Government didn't think VHS was important enough years ago. It's no different than the Ontario Government allowing the then Ontario Hydro to do as they wished instead of regulating them the way they were suppose to. We all now pay the debt reduction charge and not being able to purchase live minnows has it's parallels.

Remember that Chretien's government, instead of going after the ships releasing the exotics, proposed a federal surtax on fishing licenses to help stop foreign invaders. It's time government started charging and demanding flushing of ballast tanks before entering our system. How much more destruction to our water ecosystem need take place before someone has the guts to say enough is enough.

Edited by Garyv

How many people on this site use minnows for bait

Maybe a pole could be started Steve?

I do use live bait, not every time I go fishing, but about 30% to 50% of the time. There is always a container of worms on hand too, but this is not about squirmy things.