Need boat advise...

BillyBarilko

Hi all, I use to frequent the old What's Bitin Toronto Zoo board many years ago, been away from Fishing for a few years now and I'm hoping to get back into it.

I'm planning on purchasing a boat, and there's a ton of experience and knowledge on this board that I want to make use of before making the big purchase.

I've narrowed down my choices to

1) A fiberglass walk around with cudy (18-20')

2) An aluminum 18-20 fish'n'ski type boat. (Legend, Crestliner,Lund etc)

I want the boat to be dual purpose, safe for big water like Lake O, Lake Huron, Georgian Bay etc for Salmon trolling, while at the same time, fishing other lakes like Simcoe, Kawarthas, Nippising etc..

It must function as a "fishing machine" while out on say Lake O, and as a family day/ski boat when the wife and kids want to play too.

I've been looking since last spring and have narrowed my choices:

1) For the WA cudy: Trophy,SeaSwirl, Campion (I am preferring the 1802 Trophy right now)

2) For the Aluminum: Legend 20 xCal.

I'm really stuck.

I like the Legend as an all purpose family, multi species boat that can handle big water for downrigging.

But I also like the cudy where the kids can take shelter from the sun, watch a dvd and goto the bathroom.

I think the 1802 can still manage small water but lacks a casting platform, although putting a trolling motor on the bow could be a possibility. But you're not leaning over that bow railing to lip a bass.

My wife is leaning towards the Legend, where as I'm leaning towards the Trophy.

Any one have any advice they'd like to share?

Thanks,

Barilko's Spirit

My wife is leaning towards the Legend, where as I'm leaning towards the Trophy.

Congrat's on the new Legend ;)

Legend's and Trophy's give you a lot for the money but are not at the top of the list in terms of quality, longevity or resale.

If you plan on spending most of your time on Lake O, a big heavy glass boat is nice.

If you plan on trailering to smaller lakes a lot, a big light aluminium boat is nice.

You might have to give up a casting deck to get a cuddy.

Spend the extra money and buy a Lund.Ya they cost more but they are built to last.Best resale value of all boats.My Lund dealer told me that 8 out of 10 Legends come back for repairs because they leak.I don't know if this is true but we have heard from many members on this board about the leaky Legends :stretcher: .Fiberglass boats are heavy to haul around.Go try some boats then try a Lund when the water is choppy thats where you will see where Lund leaves the competiton behind.Check out the IPS technology less resistance on the water faster plain and more stability.

You can pay now or pay later I have never heard anyone say they were not happy with a LUND.Your other choice was a Crestliner another good quality boat made by Genmar the company that builds Lunds.Nice thing about Crestliners is they have a welded hull.

Alot of satisfied Lund owners on the board.Get in one you will see the difference.A Lund Tyee would be choice for big water.

Good Luck with your purchase :Gonefishing:

You can pay now or pay later I have never heard anyone say they were not happy with a LUND.Your other choice was a Crestliner another good quality boat made by Genmar the company that builds Lunds.Nice thing about Crestliners is they have a welded hull.

FYI, Brunswick Corp is the company that makes Lund Boats, not Genmar. Genmar makes Champion & Ranger boats.

FYI, Brunswick Corp is the company that makes Lund Boats, not Genmar. Genmar makes Champion & Ranger boats.

Genmar makes Lund and Cresliner in Canada which will be coming to an end soon.Brunswick owns alot of these fishing boats does not mean they are built the same.I know for a fact Genmar in manitoba built Lunds and Crestliners.My Lund boat has built by Genmar on it don't forget you live in the states things are done differently here.Anyway the Manitoba plant is supposed to close if it has not already.

LUND :clapping:

Yes Mike.... as Zib points out Brunswick makes (owns the sub-company ) the Lund along with darn near every other make we discuss here....

...Brunswick makes Albemarle, Baja, Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Cabo Yachts, Crestliner, HarrisKayot, Hatteras, Laguna, Lowe, Lund, Maxum, Meridian, Palmetto, Princecraft, Sea Boss, Sea Pro, Sea Ray, Sealine, Triton and Trophy boats

Genmar may be on the tags of what comes out of Manitoba but it as well is owned by Brunswick and as I posted back in November the production floor was told they were out of work before Christmas. Manitoba also didn't produce the Baron/Tyee or Pro-v and possibly more below it.

Edited by irishfield

I own a Legend , not as big as what you are looking at and no problem with leaks. Came with the lifetime hull warranty.Legend rivet hulls are made by Smokercraft and the welded hulls are made by Monark. Lund and Crestliner and most of the manufacturers are good boats. Once you load it up Legends are not much cheaper than anybody else but my boat suited my needs at the right price. There are brand loyalties with boats just like vehicles, Ford vs Chevy, Lund vs everybody else. Like they say Happy wife =Happy life so I hope you enjoy your Legend! :D Just kidding but whatever you buy I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by express168

Some Good Advice Before You Buy

Investigate the differences between riveted and welded boats

Riveting is the most durable, reliable fastening method known for high-stress applications. Lund double-rivets all seams and uses single-row riveting for other connections. We use welding only in a few strategic places, primarily as a seal where we join two bottom sections to create a single piece.

Learn about the dynamics of twin-plating

Twin-plating beyond midship adds extra weight that decreases overall performance. Lund twin-plates its boats from bow to midship because that’s where the boat absorbs the pounding. Twin-plating beyond midship adds costs for a feature that decreases performance.

Realize that all riveting is not equal

Quality of riveting and internal construction are what determine whether rivets hold. Lund double-rivets its boats, and we use exclusive I-beam construction to create the most unyielding boat you can buy.

Compare the strength of I-beams to ribs

Compared to I-beams – by any measure – ribs lack the necessary rigidity and cannot endure the same level of pounding.

Consider Structural Integrity

I-beams provide the internal backbone for planes, skyscrapers, and Lund boats. Our extruded marine-grade aluminum I-beams are built with today’s most advanced construction methods – that’s why Lund boats have the best warranty and resale value.

Thanks for the update Wayne :oops: MTP

Also check this thread where I posted up a 20' Sport Angler, a couple posts into the thread, that I can help you deal on. Safe boat for big water...but side seats for kids may not be the greatest.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4748

Edited by irishfield

I did say that my Legend came with the lifetime warranty on the hull but it is not transferrable to a new owner like the Lund warranty. If you think you may sell it down the road it may help your resale with the Lund, if you don't intend to sell than it may not make that big a difference to you. Always lots to think about when making a big purchase like a boat, but Mike really knows his Lunds, how long have you been a sales rep! :D

Highlight/copy/paste Express...LOL But yah Mike, you should contact Lund and see if you can be a sales rep for Quebec.....but then you'd have to call dude's like me to apologise, for over an hour, over dealers that don't represent them well. At least I got a reply and a call after writting a letter to the VP of Lund.

MANY choices out there...comes down to deciding what fits your dreams, desires, and budget....and if you have something that will tow the end result.

Just a note that I have seen customers purchase small cuddys and never use them. Couple years later they are back wanting to trade in. Take a hard look at what you are going to use it for the most. Keep in mind a larger boat is harder to take care of off season as well. Personally use a Glass but it is plunked in the water in the spring and stays there till fall. Pretty hard to go wrong with a Crestliner as well.

As long as the boat is made in North America I don't care who makes it.

I checked out the Crestliner boats recently at a fishing show & I liked what I seen. Very nice boats & good layout. A good buy for the price. I looked at Legend boats at the similar price as the Crestliners & Lowe boats & the Legend packages were under powered on the horse power compared to what the other boats offered in the packages for the similar price.

Lots of good advice.

Since most of my time on the water will be Lake O or Georgian Bay, I'm am leaning towards the Trophy.

It's a bit smaller than the Legend (16 vs 19 degree deadrise and 18' vs 19.5' in length) but I'm sure both will handle the big water just fine, maybe better in the Trophy because of its weight?

Nippising hit my main concern... personally I'm never going to be in that cuddy, but I'm thinking more for the wife and kids. If they're out trolling with me on Lake O, its a place for them to goto the bathroom, read a book, watch a DVD, so it gives me bit more time out on the water :)

With a non cuddy I'm limited to the Bimi top for their escape out of the sun/elements , which isn't as nice.

I can't find much reviews on Legend boats thats another concern of mine, with Trophy there's quite a bit of reviews on the net so I know what I'm getting into, its not the best in it's class but its definitely a good bang for your buck.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Barilko, this might narrow your search a little.

A glass boat in the 20 foot range will almost always be on a tandem trailer. Check wih the MTO regarding tow vehicle and licensing requirements. You may be required to tow with a commercial vehicle as there have been recent changes regarding GVWR. A couple weeks ago the guy buying my Jeep wanted to rent a tandam axle car trailer to haul it home. U-Haul couldn't rent to him because it would have required a commercial vehicle.

I did a little search online for more information but I couldn't find anything relating to boat trailering. Maybe a phone call or two could clear this up before you fall in love with a boat only to find out you'll have a bunch of hoops to jump through to take it over the road.

According to: http://www.trophyfishing.com/brochure.asp?modelid=78914

Its a single axle trailer, weight with trailer is 3,307 lbs.

So it's about 1000lbs more than the Legend.

I can't see me requiring a comercial towing permit for the Trophy.

I'm by know means sold on the Trophy, but it'm leaning towards it.

Too bad the next boat show is in the fall!

Thanks for the link! Great info.

According to that site:

The "Vehicle Permits Regulation", made under the Highway Traffic Act, provides an exemption for light trailers, specifically;

"where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

I'll be well under 6173lbs.