Scotty 1106 Depthpower Electric Downrigger

TroutnMuskieHunter

You really can't go wrong with Scotty, Cannon, Walker or Big Jon. All have their quirks but, all will last many many years. Scotty and Walker are made in Canada if that has any influance on your spending.

The perfect downrigger for me would have a Big Jon footprint and aluminium rod holders, the power of a Scotty, the auto-off from the Cannon, the switch and weight retriever from the Walkers and swivels from Bert's.

i personaly like the walkers the best, with that being said, i have only used a really old cannon. Heard lots of great things about the cannon digital troll but never used it.

I have big johns and walkers on my boat love the big john dule rod holders but not real happy with the actual rigger. The walker pole holders are not the best but work.

Not a fan of the scottys used a couple of different modles. Dont like the rod holders (similer to walkers) cant stand the auto down, not a fan of the real on its side and hate how the cluch works.

I do know some guy that love the scottys so im sure what ever you get will be fine i think it comes down to personal preference

Best of luck

Strik,

I hope this doesn't get me into trouble with mods :whistling:, but if you're looking for feedback and info on downriggers you may want to have a look at spoonpullers.com. There is a 'Product Review' sub-forum on the general board. It is pretty much exclusive to salmon fishing related topics and there are always quality used downriggers and salmon related equipment in the for sale section. That said, IMHO spoonpullers is a pretty 'snotty' forum when it comes to on line exchange between members. It is somewhat an 'old boys club' and new members aka 'smolt' are rarely acknowledged/responded to in the 'place to introduce yourself' section. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and there are a few good guys on the forum but nothing compared to the level of camaraderie found on this site :clapping:

Btw, I run 1991 walkers and they easily manage 12 lb. Torpedos + sub troll. If your considering buying used walkers, pm me and I can send you info/photos on what to look for. There was a period in the mid/late 90s where they sourced their motors from Mexico. Very bad.

Regards

Pikeslayer

Edited by PIKESLAYER

All depends on the boat.. the set up..etc and mainly personal preference. Slowpoke needs to design something with all his wants and we'd have the perfect unit! I have no complaints with my cannon electrics and manuals...both with 6' booms

aug2009e.jpg

Edited by irishfield

In my early days I spent a lot of time on a charter boat on Lake Ontario (Port Credit). Used pretty much everything over the course of about 8 years out there helping buddies with their business's. Spend a bit more and pick up Cannon's, Big Jon or Walkers. You'll never regret it. I bought my Mag 10's (2 of them) in 1989. They've transitioned through 3 boats and are still going strong. These are not one-two times a year use either. I fish Lake Ontario all summer and Temagami for 2 weeks. I like my downriggin!

In all that time I've only ever changed up the clutch drag washers on both and had one end pulley crack. In total a $50 spend in parts.

If I ever have to buy new again I'll buy Cannon's again but with four foot arms this time

Thanks for all the replies guys!....I guess I'll do a bit more research and spend a little more on something that will last.....what are the advantages of using a longer arm (4')??

TMH,

The longer boom/arm will give you more versatility when installing and locating your riggers. With my boat, I have a cutaway transom and my riggers are approx 30" away from the transom. You want to make sure that the riggers are located in a position that is easy and comfortable to operate. For example, my riggers were initially attached directly to the gunwale and I was constantly having to bend over the side of the boat to attach my lines. I added the platform last spring to raise the height and adjust the positions accordingly. Now all rigging is done standing upright. Much more comfortable and considerably safer in rougher waters.

SANY0110-1.jpg

Regards,

Pikeslayer

Edited by PIKESLAYER

i like big john's myself their easy to work on. if you have problems all parts are out in the open not enclosed and motor is a windshield wiper motor easy to replace. but all down riggers are good from what i have used..

Jesus Rob.. don't be so cheap.. put some line on that Penn !

I have a a pair of Scotty 1106s and have been running them for over 10 years. The only problem I had was, a couple of years ago, I broke the knob that hold the extended boom in place on one of the riggers. I contacted Scotty and they sent me a repair kit to fix it. The repair kit arrived in a couple of days and they did not charge me anything.

This past year I started using a 13 lb torpedo on the rigger that has my Cannon speed and temp, in order to minimize blowback. The Scotty pulls it all up without any problems.