camping cots

taper

Do any of you guys use camping cots. Do you have any comments good or bad on any models or brands. I need one for the May 24th weekend. Last year it snowed the first three days where we are going. I was told to stay away from the air mattress type as when the air is cold they become like sleeping on an ice cube. Comfort is a priority as it is a week long trip. What are your thoughts.

Get a self inflating mattress they are about 1 1/2 inches thick and are much more comfortable than the blow up mattreses.

The Key to keeping warm is investing in high quality sleeping bag buy a model that is rated for -10 or -20.or bring 2 sleeping bags been there done that.My new sleeping bag made a huge impact.

It helps to have a few extra beer before shut eye on those cold nights. :whistling:

Speaking of Star ratings.......

a friend of mine had a 5 Star sleeping bag, and I tell ya, unless it was very cold, that darn thing was wayyyyyyy too warm (hot?), you wound up kicking the thing off, only to get cold again. :angry:

I suppose one could of slept outside in minus -40C and been comfortable but anything above that was intolerable.

It really doesn't matter whether you use a cot or an air mattress. Either way you get cold air under you. I did by a good cot from Forest City Surplus in London. The big trick that I and my fishing partner have learn't after 25 years in the bush is to have a decent sleeping bag and keep your head warm. 25% of your body heat can escape off your head. I wrap my head in a big towel while my partner prefers a touque. Since we've discoverd this, we haven't had a cold night's sleep and we use a tent.

I've used an air mattress in the tent for years in May & September, and even though it never get's bitter cold that time of year, we've had it drop below the freezing mark the odd time. I have a very good sleeping bag rated for about -15 C but I always fold a quilt under it and have never had a problem with it being cold.

Two years ago I purchased a Coleman double size mattress, and find it far more comfortable than those folding cots, that I used to use.

One thing I've always found the best is to get an oversized sleeping bag. Mine is 40" X 80" and it makes all the difference in the world as far as comfort goes. Nothing worse than being all cramped up inside a skinny little 32" bag.

I also wimped out 2 years ago though, and bought myself a nice little Coleman catalytic heater for the tent.

Kinda nice on those cold rainy nights. ;)