Do's & Don'ts with a gas auger

GBW

Hey all.

So this year I got a gas auger. What are some of the do's & don'ts for the very first time you go to start it? Is it bad for me to fill it with gas and start it without the auger bit in it? I DO plan to fire it up before I hit the lake to make sure it works. I thank you and I'm sure others will too. Cheers.

Geoff

Guest gbfisher

Hey all.

So this year I got a gas auger. What are some of the do's & don'ts for the very first time you go to start it? Is it bad for me to fill it with gas and start it without the auger bit in it? I DO plan to fire it up before I hit the lake to make sure it works. I thank you and I'm sure others will too. Cheers.

Geoff

Nothing different for it's first use. Of course run it before you go out.

Replace the cover after each hole unless you have many holes to punch.

. Don't bang the blades on the ice EVER!!! Dont lend it out..... :good:

Edited by gbfisher

Hey all.

Geoff

I find with my Jiffy the oil/gas mix has to be exact,I also throw a shot of seamist or equivelant in it to keep it running tops.Keep the head covered when travelling,to keep snow and water out of carb. my 2 cents

make sure the tank vent screw is sealed tight when moving it or when packing up to leave or it will leak fuel in your vehicle or on your clothing.Always keep the blades covered when transporting.Yes u can run it without the auger on it.Add a little gas line anti-freeze to the tank.Don't lean on it when drilling let the auger do the work. I did that on my first auger and burnt a hole in my coat from leaning on the exhaust.Buy a spare set of blades and caring them with you along with the allen key.

Ya know where your exhaust is pointing if you have a synthetic fabric on your coat, many new vents get made this way.

I find a bit of sea foam makes mine run best. Also, the carb on mine likes to be set differently below -30 for the best performance, 1/2 a turn makes a huge difference it seems.

Also I use OPTI 2 synthetic oil packets which smoke less and seems to run better overall, mines an older Jiffy 3hp

Good luck and keep your blades sharp.

Never ever, ever clean the auger blade with your hands even if you have gloves on. I have seen too many people see ice or slush on their blade and not thinking, they reach down to wipe the slush off. People just don't realize how sharp these blades are until it is too late. Not all blood on the ice is from the fish.

Tom

Always use Sea Foam or fuel stabilizer. Drain all the gas at seasons end and run it till it stops. Remove spark plug a fog the cylinder and then put plug back.The small 2 stroke carbs are very sensitive to dirt, deposits, poor mixes of gas/oil etc. Paying attention to the fuel system is one way to have years of trouble free running.