Ice fishing for Muskie and Bass - ya never know!

Harrison

I have heard some of the Kawarthas are starting to freeze up. With lack of wind later this week who knows, we could be on the ice for Muskie and Bass this year.

Neat to target bass through the ice. Not a muskie guy per say, but it would be cool to have a crack at bass.

Any ice bass tips? Never done it before. Tough to flip weed edges or skip docks like I am used to! :) Not much of a live bait guy either.

Edited by Harrison

I have heard some of the Kawarthas are starting to freeze up.

Clear Lake had ice around the edges yesterday and from where I'm sitting right now it looks like it's frozen all the way across Phil.

Amazing what can happen overnight once the temps drop.

We got both last winter fishing Buckhorn & Chemong. We weren't targetting them of course, we were just using small minnows for perch. I know we're not supposed to post OOS fish pics, but this one was exceptional:

75869_105892226148624_100001835418992_42883_2488065_n.jpg

On my way home today, I was surprised to see some kids playing hockey on the cove around the corner.

that's crazy! I would never let my kids out on the ice at this time of year.

And yes, a nice fight with a SMB on an ice rod would be fun!

Thanks Lew and the others for the heads up on the ice.

Going to have a looksee Sunday and see if I can get out. I have a couple areas I think should be holding some smallies.

For Muskie, I would assume a dead Bait setup would work for them through the ice as it does for Northerns?