OT: Bought some land

cityfisher

Were you just buying a saw at the time, or did you have a bigger bill ?

I know for a fact Im not making $200 profit on a saw ! hahah

Does Stihl still offer that utility version power head? The one that will drive the cutter wheel and I think there were other optional attachments available. The pro woodcutters in our area seemed to like that unit back in my service days ('70-'73). As I remember it might have been a little heavy for a convenience saw but it was a durable bugger that was easy to service fast. We usually had plenty of parts for alomost any repair on hand.

I'm impressed that 40 years later Stihl is still leading the way. Not many products can say the same. Even Ariens blowers aren't quite what they once were although I understand they're still pretty good. It was a shame the way the quality of products like Lawnboy went in the crapper once the big box stores got them to sell.

JF

Good Find Irishfield, just checked out the website and the sharpening product looks awesome. Just reached out to a local reseller to find out how much they are. This will make life a lot easier.

Edited by Flappn

borrowing a friends stihl 250 18" blade for the weekend. now i need to watch some basic chainsaws vids on youtube :)

anyone recommend where to buy a pair of chaps in the GTA? I like my legs intact:)

Maybe the stag shop? tease.gif

i think tsc carries them, i bought mine from the local john deere dealer last year, try them as well

Can't go wrong with the stihl ms260. 18" bar is good, wouldn't go to much bigger though, you sacrifice a lot of power when you do. You can take down a pretty big tree (32" diameter anyways!) and it's still light enough you can use it in the tree. I use it when I'm climbing all the time!

U definetly need some safety equipment though, I run a saw for a living and would never run one without saw pants or chaps might be more practical for you. Also some eye protection, hearing protection, steel toe boots, leather gloves and a hard hat wouldn't even hurt when your felling trees, you never know when a chico is gonna come flying out of another tree and visit you!

Some other stuff that you need would be a bar wrench to adjust chain tension,l etc., some round files ( 3/16 I think) to sharpen your teeth, and a flat file to drop your guides as your teeth wear down and to take any burrs off your bar. Takes a bit of a knack to sharpen a chainsaw properly, but you'll get on to it.

If you plan on having the saw for a long time, the stihl ms260 is easily the best all round saw out there!

• 3 weeks later...

little update.

I was suprised by the wife with a MS290 with an 18 bar for xmas!!

This things huge lol. Maybe overkill for my needs but it was a present so i cant refuse it :)

I need to get a chain for it, should i go with a Stihl chain or can i get one from homedepot?

Bar oil/2 stroke oil? stihl or whatever homedepot brand?

im looking into a pair of chaps, homedepot only has some ghetoo looking echo chaps..anywhere else that sells them?

Stihl saw.. go into the dealer and get the Stihl oil to mix 50 to 1. I've always been one to say oil is oil... but I can tell you for fact that my Stihl will not run properly using Huscavarna's oil

..and if you need to buy a chain anyhow.. I'd look into that powersharp I noted above. Either way, you always want a spare chain ready to go. Be nothing worse than breaking one and not having one you can throw on quick and keep working the few hours you have on a weekend.

Edited by irishfield

Stihl saw.. go into the dealer and get the Stihl oil to mix 50 to 1. I've always been one to say oil is oil... but I can tell you for fact that my Stihl will not run properly using Huscavarna's oil

..and if you need to buy a chain anyhow.. I'd look into that powersharp I noted above. Either way, you always want a spare chain ready to go. Be nothing worse than breaking one and not having one you can throw on quick and keep working the few hours you have on a weekend.

No luck with the Power Sharp System for my MS290... Gonna give it a go this weekend.

Thank you for your interest in the Power Sharp™ system.

Power Sharp is only available at this time in the 3/8 low profile type chain. As the MS290 takes the 3/8 standard or .325 pitch chains, Power Sharp is not yet available for this saw.

Best Regards,

Alison Heynderickx

Technical Customer Service

Oregon Cutting Systems, Blount Inc.