Restarting Salmon Mini Hatchery Update

spinnerbaitking

Hey Guys

On Nov 16th I met Al at the Hatchery & he gave me a quick lesson on how to set the Salmon Egg Hatchery up for the School Program. Nov 17th I set the Aquarium up at Teeswater Hillcrest Central School in the Grade 2-3 class, I arrived in the middle of the afternoon to kids jumping up & down hollering there here, there here, I tried to settle them down by saying I just have the Aquarium & the Eggs wouldn't be there until Friday. Not sure if you have tried setting up an Aquarium with 2 dozen extra sets of hands but I managed, everything was hooked up by 4pm & running. Since there is Chlorinated it was to sit for 24 hours or more. Friday I met Garry 2pm at the Port Elgin hatchery to pick up the Eggs, packed the eggs in a jar in the cooler with a bit of Ice & headed to Teeswater, classes were over so I signed in & headed to the class 1 of the Students saw me with a Cooler & headed out to their Mother next thing I knew there was 3 boys & a Mother in the Class asking me question & wanting to help with the Eggs, on Nov 22 at 07:44 the Teacher e-mailed & said that looks soooooo cool & that the students would be doing computer work looking up salmon, Nov 23 E-mail saying the kids have been doing research & she ordered some books from Amazon, Nov 24 1 egg hatched by 8am 3 hatched by noon & 4 by the end of the day, Nov 25 I went to the school first thing & there was about half the eggs Hatched the Teacher is very impressed & Quite excited. She was at the board office last Friday & a lot of Teachers are asking how she got involved in this program, I'm not sure what will become of that for next year, I will be stopping in during class a bit & hopefully getting some more Pictures for the club. The class has already started a Scrap book with Pictures

Thanx For Now Richard Elliott Jr

PICT0521.jpgPICT0520.jpg

That is cool Richard - awesome. Those kids will remember that for ever. You just gave me an awesome idea for down here - my wife teaches 2/3 and there is a trout hatchery on Whitemans. They put, I believe it was their 2 (?) miillionth hatching in the water last year? I may have an idea on how to expand their local supporters...

Edited by spincast

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

On Nov 16th I met Al at the Hatchery & he gave me a quick lesson on how to set the Salmon Egg Hatchery up for the School Program. Nov 17th I set the Aquarium up at Teeswater Hillcrest Central School in the Grade 2-3 class, I arrived in the middle of the afternoon to kids jumping up & down hollering there here, there here, I tried to settle them down by saying I just have the Aquarium & the Eggs wouldn't be there until Friday. Not sure if you have tried setting up an Aquarium with 2 dozen extra sets of hands but I managed, everything was hooked up by 4pm & running. Since there is Chlorinated it was to sit for 24 hours or more. Friday I met Garry 2pm at the Port Elgin hatchery to pick up the Eggs, packed the eggs in a jar in the cooler with a bit of Ice & headed to Teeswater, classes were over so I signed in & headed to the class 1 of the Students saw me with a Cooler & headed out to their Mother next thing I knew there was 3 boys & a Mother in the Class asking me question & wanting to help with the Eggs, on Nov 22 at 07:44 the Teacher e-mailed & said that looks soooooo cool & that the students would be doing computer work looking up salmon, Nov 23 E-mail saying the kids have been doing research & she ordered some books from Amazon, Nov 24 1 egg hatched by 8am 3 hatched by noon & 4 by the end of the day, Nov 25 I went to the school first thing & there was about half the eggs Hatched the Teacher is very impressed & Quite excited. She was at the board office last Friday & a lot of Teachers are asking how she got involved in this program, I'm not sure what will become of that for next year, I will be stopping in during class a bit & hopefully getting some more Pictures for the club. The class has already started a Scrap book with Pictures

Thanx For Now Richard Elliott Jr

PICT0521.jpgPICT0520.jpg

I just sent you a PM! Please contact me!

Great project!!

much respect to you Richard...this is truly a good thing your doing

i wonder if a field trip or a video of the process in a hatchery would be beneficial...( just thinking out loud ) :dunno:

hope your mortality rate stays low

Great on ya for your efforts! :clapping:

its truly a shame that the MNR have decided to close the salmon hatchery ran by volunteers, that has seen fry size double at release time, have pen inprinting projects run sucessfully,started a night time stocking plan, looked after coho and also stock bows in the rouge, all in all a benificial programm to the Lake, all be moved down south to Normandale, were "i dont care' goverment employees are supposed to take over and move ahead, i cant wait to see or hear them when they have to do a stocking run from normandale to wellington !!!!!

theres always been an open door and classroom approach from the hatchery when any school has shown the interest to follow through.

cheers

ian