Correct Prop for a 2005, Mercury Optimax 225

Stoty

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the best prop for my 20' Lund Pro-V running a 2005 Mercury Optimax 225HP engine?

My current one is a stainless prop (20 degree pitch I believe). It's too small or the wrong pitch because my RPM's can rev way over the max 6000.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jamie... there is a 225 Opti on a Ranger at the lake.. it's running the identical prop that is on my 275 verado.. but I'm not home so can't check the part number for you before Wednesday. Think mine is a 21 pitch....might be a 24. All I know is it is the identical part # as the 225 opti on the above mentioned Ranger.

Edited by irishfield

Thats way to low of a pitch for that setup Jamie. Try going on Lunds facebook page and posting your setup and see what others are running or calling Lund yourself. They will set you up with peoper prop. Im running a 175 OPTI with a 25 pitch prop so dont think 20 is sufficient for yours.

You could try and go on walleyecentral.com and post rig setup there. Tons of guys running that same rig Jamie.

Edited by smalliefisher

Both pitch and diameter change things significantly. I don't know the numbers for a boat.. but on an airplane an inch of pitch usually changes rpm by 150 and a half inch of diameter does the same.

Jamie if you wanna make a run to Midland with your boat.. I'll pull it off and let you try my prop!

Edited by irishfield

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the best prop for my 20' Lund Pro-V running a 2005 Mercury Optimax 225HP engine?

My current one is a stainless prop (20 degree pitch I believe). It's too small or the wrong pitch because my RPM's can rev way over the max 6000.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you hitting the rev limiter(beep)? If not your tach could be off. I know others that are running the same rig with Tempest 21-23 pitch props on Erie with no problems. Check with the guys at WC, more guys there will be running the same rig as you.

Are you hitting the rev limiter(beep)? If not your tach could be off. I know others that are running the same rig with Tempest 21-23 pitch props on Erie with no problems. Check with the guys at WC, more guys there will be running the same rig as you.

Ditto, what our friend Bob Devine has already said, he's right on the money.

Cheers G.