SYLVAN

walleyejack

Hi Al,

I have a 1991 Sylvan 2150 Pro Fisherman. I am the second owner. All paint & upholstery is original and is excellent condition (a few battle scars on the hull). Stucturally (floor boards, transom, rivets & trim) everything is solid. I am replacing the canvas this winter (it is 20 yrs old).

I fish Lake Ontario in July & August and 'The Mistress' handles all water conditions encountered. It is aluminim so it can get a little bouncy in 3-4 footers, but it is a very safe boat (32 in floor to gunwale with cut-away/recessed transom). I will run her out to the 'bluezone' (12-14 miles offshore) knowing I can get there and back safely. Needless to say, I am a fan of Sylvan.

Mistress.JPG

(click to enlarge)

Regards,

Pikeslayer

Edited by PIKESLAYER

I believe Sylvan Boats are designed and made from the former founder of Starcraft.....If you look they are VERY similar boats and VERY well built....back in the late 80's and early 90's I use to see a LOT of them around on Lake Erie and Ontario plus many inland lakes here and in Ontario but now I really don't see that many. I have no reason why.

Bob

I believe Sylvan Boats are designed and made from the former founder of Starcraft.....If you look they are VERY similar boats and VERY well built....back in the late 80's and early 90's I use to see a LOT of them around on Lake Erie and Ontario plus many inland lakes here and in Ontario but now I really don't see that many. I have no reason why.

Bob

If that is true, I have a 16.5 foot 1992 aluminum Starcraft that is as solid and sturdy as the day she was built. Not one leak and I too take it out to the greater depths in Lake Ontario. Great boat for a variety of lakes and fishing conditions.

With the 40HP Merc I have on mine, it will run at 30 MPH top speed with 2 guys on board.

Edited by fisher

Sylvan makes an awesome boat. does it have a 4-Stroke or older 2-Stroke?

not sure how many strokes shes got,my banker has it and wants to get rid of it and he knows Jack about it.says he is getting back to me in the next couple days,and to give him a price,just wants to get rid of it, but i want a wider beam 84" or and i need to know the model of his before i can figure out what he has.

Hi Al,

I have a 1991 Sylvan 2150 Pro Fisherman. I am the second owner. All paint & upholstery is original and is excellent condition (a few battle scars on the hull). Stucturally (floor boards, transom, rivets & trim) everything is solid. I am replacing the canvas this winter (it is 20 yrs old).

I fish Lake Ontario in July & August and 'The Mistress' handles all water conditions encountered. It is aluminim so it can get a little bouncy in 3-4 footers, but it is a very safe boat (32 in floor to gunwale with cut-away/recessed transom). I will run her out to the 'bluezone' (12-14 miles offshore) knowing I can get there and back safely. Needless to say, I am a fan of Sylvan.

Mistress.JPG

(click to enlarge)

Regards,

Pikeslayer

Nice riggins Pike !

not sure how many strokes shes got,my banker has it and wants to get rid of it and he knows Jack about it.says he is getting back to me in the next couple days,and to give him a price,just wants to get rid of it, but i want a wider beam 84" or and i need to know the model of his before i can figure out what he has.

LOl, No probs if you can get the make and model of it. You can post it up here so we can help you. If it is a 2-Stroke then the value should be worth a a lot less. But if he's just getting rid of it then it should be a good deal then.

I thought smokercraft made sylvans. They look like a real nice boat.

Smoker Craft, Starcraft and Sylvan are made by the same company, in the same plant in rural Indiana (see www.thebestboatbrands.com). The company also builds some additional boat brands that are not presently sold in Canada.

Smoker Craft, Sylvan and Starcraft are very nice aluminum boats - well designed, well made, and excellent value.

Smoker Craft, Starcraft and Sylvan are made by the same company, in the same plant in rural Indiana (see www.thebestboatbrands.com). The company also builds some additional boat brands that are not presently sold in Canada.

Smoker Craft, Sylvan and Starcraft are very nice aluminum boats - well designed, well made, and excellent value.

They also make at least some of the hulls for Legend boats.

If he knows Jack about it, he may not have cared for it like he should (winterizing, oil/gas mixing, etc...) but then again, he may the type to have had it serviced at a Marina. Either way, it goes without saying that if you are not capable yourself, have it looked at by a mechanic.

Legend Boats are made out of the same factory from SmokerCraft. Though you might see some similarities the design, specs and layout are totally different.

I had a 16' Sylvan tiller with 50hp Honda 4 stroke back in 97, and I was happy with it for the money.

I fish the Great Lakes a lot, and the difference in the ride in rougher water between a Lund ProV and Sylvan is night and day. I also had a 19' Sylvan with a top for a while, and after being spoiled in a ProV, I wasn't impressed with the ride in the Sylvan at all. Other than that, it was a good boat. If you haven't been in a ProV to compare, you will love the Sylvan.

You get what you pay for, but I'm sure you will be happy with the Sylvan if it is a good used boat. I second the idea of having the boat looked over carefully on a used boat.

FYI I am not knocking Sylvan boats in any way. They make a good boat, and I was happy with mine. Caught a ton of fish in it too :thumbsup_anim: