any MNRs on the board?

newboykool

i just got back from gorcery shopping at a local super market, they had live largemouth bass the first time i went ther, but the last time i went, i saw them selling dead crappies, and today i saw them selling rock bass beside those dead crappies O_O . So my question is, are there licences that allows supermarkets to sell these fish?

Yes, it is legal. Largemouth are often farm raised for retail. Were the fish all approximately the same size? If so, that would indicate that they were farm fish.

what about crappies and rock bass..?

they had two pile of crappies , one pile was the larger ones and the other one was the smaller ones

ok..crappies i can understand might be also farm raised

but..rock bass..?

Randy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day ... Teach a man to fish and he'll ...well you fill in the rest

Teach a man to fish and he'll be gone every weekend and want better more expensive equipment then he will learn about catch and release and never bring another fish home

really

just ask my wife

i just got back from gorcery shopping at a local super market, they had live largemouth bass the first time i went ther, but the last time i went, i saw them selling dead crappies, and today i saw them selling rock bass beside those dead crappies O_O . So my question is, are there licences that allows supermarkets to sell these fish?

The best thing to do is call your local MNR office and let them know what you saw. It's then up to them to check it out if they have any concerns. Then at least you know you did the right thing.

They better all be legal fish. There's no reason to suspect otherwise.

I've always thought that it was illegal to sell any game fish...

Before this year it was legal to catch as many crappie as you wanted to in the Kawarthas but this year there is a limit of 30...Lake Scugog is part of the Kawarthas...

Those stores better have a licence to sell farm raised bass, crappie etc or they are in deep crap

I've always thought that it was illegal to sell any game fish...

Are you referring to an angler selling his catch? Or, did you mean that it is illegal to sell any species classified as a game fish?

It is definitely illegal for the average joe to sell his catch. However, game fish such as rainbow trout are sold legally in Ontario.

A lot of Asian grocery stores have Largies for sale. At one store down the street from me, I remember seeing them being unpacked a couple times from boxes that came from Florida. In the past I've also seen bullheads, striped bass, black crappies, eels, carp, bowfin and rainbow trout. I don't know about you but the majority of fish in those tanks are covered with fungus (and rot) which totally puts me off from thinking about eating them.LOL

they also import red snapper, grouper, sole, pickeral, atlantic salmon, sea trout, bc dungeness crabs, lobsters, razor clams, scallops, bullfrogs, carp, butterfish, white perch, lots of tilapia, countless others, and the dreaded big head carp, among others