Wierd Walleye

muddler

I've fished this same spot from shore for over 50 years. No complaints here. The fishing is always good and it is close to home. Less than a 5 minute drive. At this time of the year (fall) I usually catch my biggest fish. A couple 34 inchers every fall. All fish are catch at dusk or later at night. No competition here as most people here do not fish at night. Last night was very strange.

It was cold and dark by 7:00 pm. The fishin got very slow and casting to my usual spots stoppped producing. My buddy and i were shooting the breeze and I just let my minnow dangle in the water no more than a foot from shore and about a foot of water. I felt a small weight and bang a 10 inch walleye. Let that go. Dropped the dead minnow back to the same spot and bang, a nice 15 incher. WE only had 4 minnows left but it didn't make a difference. Dead or alive , a foot or so from the shore and we were catching fish. I tried casting jigs and grub and then small rapalas (both usually produce) and nothing. Hook on a mushed up minnow and hold it in front of you a couple of feet from shore and wham a, another one. The biggest one was about 28 inches long and the smallest was about 6 inches long. All in all we landed 11 walleye and lost a bunch. Never seen anything like it in my life. We shined a flashlight into the water but didn't see a thing. One of the weirdest days I ever had.

I'm gonna try it again to night (it's raining pretty hard right now) if it stops raining.

muddler

Edited by muddler